Infertility
Options

Switching REs. I'm nervous, need some advice and also wanted to say Hi.

Hi, my name is Sarah,...I've been lurking on and off since April of 2009. I wanted to introduce myself and get a little advice.  I currently go to a well known RE close to where I live.  After a year and a half of clomid cycles with TI to clomid with IUI to gonal-f with IUI, we have come to the conclusion we need to bite the bullet and do IVF.  Our issue is MFI.  Motility is less than 2%.  Everything so far has been covered but IVF is not covered at all.  Not even the gonal-f which was covered when I did the IUI.  (I don't even want to get started on how that doesn't make sense)  

We were  introduced to a RE located about 40 miles away from where we live who does procedures like mini IVF or natural IVF.  It intrigued us and they hosted a seminar so we went.  Long story short, they sold us on the idea b/c they do ISCI with assisted hatching and it's less than 5K for the entire procedure.  Whereas, our current RE will cost around 15k.  

DH is convinced the isci and assisted hatching will get us the BFP that we want so we're going to go this route ONE time.  That's the deal.  Just once, if it doesn't work, we will go back to my beloved RE and get a second mortgage to  finance the IVF.  

The RE 40 miles away wants our history and some paperwork like the infectious diseases testing that we've already done from our current RE.

I don't know how to ask them for this information without telling them that I am switching REs.  I'm so torn!  WWYD?  I'm thinking of lying, but I'm not a very good liar.  Something along the lines of "we're moving to another state and wanted to do a consult with an RE in that area" type of lie.  What should I do? 

If you've read this far, I thank you.  

Re: Switching REs. I'm nervous, need some advice and also wanted to say Hi.

• Options

I will make one key recommendation - please don't just consider the cost of a clinic when deciding where to go. Their success rates can be found on the CDCs website and also SARTs site, if they are a member.

It is my understanding that mini-IVF has a much lower success rate than more traditional IVF, so the actual "cost per live birth" is much higher. However, if your choice for a mini-IVF is also driven by moral or ethical beliefs, then that's a whole separate dimension.Good luck with your decision - I hope you find all the info you need to make the right one for you!

Edited to add: I did ICSI and assisted hatching and you can see from my signature that it is no guarantee.

There is some great information on this site, all along their left navigation, about all types of things around IVF: https://www.advancedfertility.com/  And no - I'm not a patient at this clinic - but it's fabulous information!

Married 08.06
    Started TTC 05.08
    Me: Stage II endo, borderline high FSH
    DH: perfect
    1 lap, 5 IUIs = 4 BFNs and 1 c/p
    2 IVFs, 2 FETs = 1 BFN, 1 c/p, 1 ectopic and finally a sticky BFP in May 2011!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

1 FET in Aug 2013 = BFP! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Oh, I don't think you need to worry about hurting your RE's feelings.  Just tell them you're getting a second opinion!  That's perfectly okay!

I agree with previous poster - check reviews and real published success rates - don't rely on costs alone. .. PLUS:  I'm in the same boat as you - some stuff was covered when I was doing IUI plus gonal-f, but IVF and all related expenses are not covered at all by my insurance.  We are strictly out of pocket.  

We saved for several months to cover the IVF - You can always do another IUI and 'over order' your gonal-f and bank it for an IVF cycle. I am not recommending insurance fraud - just saying that sometimes you have to do what you need to do. :)

Also, the second RE has a cost of 5K for the entire procedure - that seems sort of shocking to me. . .the drugs alone for my cycle are about 4k, and I don't require insane amounts of stimming like some women do.  There are embryology fees, bloodwork fees, ICSI fees, assisted hatching, surgery center, etc.   

I think you should ask second RE for a full fee schedule and see what isn't included? 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was very happy with my RE, but switched clinics for financial reasons. I knew I would need to get my medical records. I explained to my RE that the reason were were switching was completely financial and he couldn't have been nicer about it. So, I would just be honest about the situation.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"