Military Families

Less appts with military?

Hi all! This is first baby, Im 12 weeks, and I am new to the whole military spouse thing also. I was really shocked at how the military hospital works out here, (we're stationed at Pearl Harbor) and kinda wish I could go else where! I had my 10 week appointment, which is the only one I've had, and I dont go in to see the doctor again until 20 weeks! Is that normal? I thought you were suppose to go to the doc more often than that when preggo, like once a month or something? Just wondering...are the military hospitals like this where you are at? (Oh, and they were very rude and it seemed like I was an inconvenience for them by being there!)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Less appts with military?

• I had an appt at 10 weeks, at 16 weeks, and will have one at 20 weeks.  After that it will be one every 4 weeks until I'm much farther along.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Graphics
  • Tripler? Some of the nurses were very rude to me as well. I went to my appts. once a month, and they should have given you a little book saying when each appt should be, and what is going to happen at everyone.
  • Loading the player...
  • You should have a 10 week, then your first ultrasound to check for the actual due date around week 12 and then be seen monthly, then weekly as the last month and half approach. You can demand appointments. Also, they don't see normal pregnancies as often as problematic ones, ie, more likely to have something go very wrong and that's only to keep a tighter eye on you and the baby. If you are TRICARE Prime, you can request to be seen in town. TRICARE still covers that.
  • I know every military hospital is different, but I would request another appointment before 20 weeks, that's kind of ridiculous. I had an appt at 8 weeks to fill out paperwork, 12 weeks for a dating ultrasound, and then an appointment every 4 weeks since then. I'll start having an appointment every week starting next week (36 weeks). I thought it was weird that I didn't have an appointment every 2 weeks when it got closer, but I'm also not a high risk pregnancy.

Also- I've only been seen by nurse practitioners until my appointment today, which randomly was with a doctor. And let me tell you, I take back being upset by that before, because he was a pretentious douche. I'll take an NP anyday.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yup thats  a pretty standard schedule (I know I was shocked too) and as far as them being rude: COMPLAIN!

Go talk to the Patient Care Rep & let them know! This is the only way to get things to change. I work at a clinic & its a big deal when someone complains about the service. 

• thats how my appts were at tripler too and i spoke to my dr about it because i thought they were far apart and he told me that because there were so many different branches stationed here all using the same hospital they spread the appts out farther.  And the nurses there are the worst! i went into L&D because i thought i was having contractions and all the lady did was yell at me. Then another time a nurse screamed at me because i had a respitory infection and kept coughing through the NST test, like i could help that.  If i had to do it again i would go to a civilian hospital, tripler has a lot of problems in the L&D unit that i didnt find out about until i got in there
  • I am Prime, but see an out in town Dr. because our MTF is just a clinic not a hospital. I was seen at 6 weeks which is earlier than normal (normal would have had me in at 10 week) to confirm pregnancy with an U/S (only because my previous pregnancy ended in a difficult M/C). I have had an appointment every 4 weeks since then, with separate appointments for an NT scan at 13 weeks and the Anatomy scan at 19 weeks. Once I hit 28 weeks I will be seen every 2 weeks, until about 36 weeks, where I will be seen every week till delivery. I am not considered high risk and this is the typical schedule for visits from what I understand. Even Portsmouth Naval Hospital (which is one of the largest) follows the normal schedule. I would ask to switch to an out in town Dr. or request more appointments.
    Long time Waiting BFP 5/8/10 It's a Boy! 1/7/2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Graphics
  • NSLNSL member
    That's not a "normal" appointment schedule based on my experiences with MTFs.  I'd honestly be requesting a switch to Standard so you can go to a civilian physician if the clinic's rationale is that they're too busy to see you as often as is recommended.  An appointment every 4-6 weeks up until your late third trimester is standard at my MTF, FWIW.
  • yes, it does seem like less.

You should have one at 16 I would think.

I was seen at 7 weeks for a dating ultrasound and fill out paperwork,

then 12 weeks,16,24 (yeah...weird), 28,32,36,38,40

I think its weird to not have a 20 weeks, but I guess they figure the ultrasound is your 20 weeks check...who knows.

Most civilian places start every 2 week appt after 28 weeks. I think its really late to start at 36, but eh.

I'm high risk, so I'll go more after 28 I think.

• that is kinda weird. I was late going to my first appointment, almost 12 weeks, but I had a second appointment just two days later, and then another one 4 weeks after that! So.... yeah, I'd talk to someone about that. The most important thing is for you to be comfortable. If you're not comfortable with the way they are handling YOUR care at the military hospital then I would look into a civilian place. yours and baby's comfort and health is the most important thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"