December 2010 Moms

Nursery Alphabet- my attempt at DIY

So, I'm not doing the traditional baby's name in wooden letters above the crib, but I am doing a full alphabet all round the upper part of the room.  Kind of like a border but on shelves up high around the perimeter.  I?m going to mix and match fonts, sizes, and then *decorate* each letter in a funky and different way.  I write *decorate* bc I am so not a crafty person but this seems fun and do-able, just need some paint and ribbon and glue.... right?? Huh?

The cost of letters can get pretty pricey, and I was noticing not a lot of variety in stores (Michaels etc), so I went looking online.  I found this site which makes all kinds of fonts and all you have to do is specify which for each letter and you can also specify the size:

https://www.craftcuts.com/wooden-letters.asp

I totally went nutso today picking each font for each letter and mixed up the sizing- I have no idea if this is a good company or not to use, so here's to throwing caution to the wind!  The price per letter was cheaper than stores, and when you need 26 of them, I?ll take it.  What did you use, or does anyone know this site?  I?ll be your guinea pig and let you know what they look like when they arrive!

Re: Nursery Alphabet- my attempt at DIY

• I was going to order letter's for my godson's room from there because someone recommended them to me.  I never did get around to it (got PG and sick) and we went another route.  I don't remember who told me about the site, but I do remember they said they ordered from there and it was quality.  I'm glad you posted this because I'm going to order my letters from there!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am not sure about the website, but if you would like an idea to keep your costs down, I used sample paints from Lowes instead of the craft-store paint.  They come in semi-gloss only, but I was fine with that.  They only cost $2.95 and you get WAY more than you do in the craft-store size paint! (Not to mention the color options are almost endless)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We did something similar, but used scrapbook paper.  Just glue the scrapbook paper directly onto the letter (We used ModPodge) and use an exacto knife to cut away the paper around the letters.  Then another couple of coats of ModPodge on top to make them shiny.  It was super easy and they came out SO cute.

• I did my daughters name with wooden letters.  Instead of painting them, I used modge podge and scrap book paper.  It was super easier.  Here are a couple links of how to's.  I will try to post a pic of mine later.

https://www.ehow.com/how_4562723_use-scrapbooking-supplies-decorate-nursery.html

https://www.customscrapbookmaker.com/crafts/how-to-make-wood-wall-letters.htm

https://www.oneshetwoshe.com/2010/05/mod-podge-paper-to-wood-letters-she.html

• Great idea!  Make sure you post pics when you're done - I can't wait to see the result!  I made name letters with scrapbook paper and mod podge.  You could definitely do that with some of yours.  It's easy, and there are so many different kinds of paper that you can create many unique looks.  
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • These aren't how to's, but some alphabets I looooove!!

This one is from HGTV's Sarah's House...it's not the best picture, but search it and I think HGTV does a little deal about it on their website...

I've seen this one random places, but I don't know where it's originally from...

I so would be doing an alphabet if we had room in our nursery...I love the picture rail idea! :) Good luck, definately let us know how that place is :)

• imagejessiesnwbrd:

These aren't how to's, but some alphabets I looooove!!

This one is from HGTV's Sarah's House...it's not the best picture, but search it and I think HGTV does a little deal about it on their website...

I've seen this one random places, but I don't know where it's originally from...

I so would be doing an alphabet if we had room in our nursery...I love the picture rail idea! :) Good luck, definately let us know how that place is :)

Jessie- those are the exact pictures I?ve seen before and taken inspiration from.  I really like the first one with the border around the ceiling.  I can only hope mine looks half as good!

Ah, thanks everyone for the good ideas and I?m glad to hear that someone has used this site before.  Sounds like scrapbook paper is popular, I?ll have to look into it.  I haven?t decided if I?m going to do a hodge podge with all of the letters being decorated differently, or using a repeated color scheme for the d?cor.  Hmmm?

Are you all doing the wall or the border?  Good luck to you on your projects, as well.  I will post our results when they are done!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"