Breastfeeding
Options

My relactation journey... an update (long)

I have been getting a little down and frustrated about where I am at right now with relactation, so I thought I should post an update, to do a little venting, and maybe get some suggestions from you ladies.

First of all, I think I AM making progress, it just isn't at the timetable I think I was expecting. It's been 3 weeks since I started pumping again, but I think I'm going to update my ticker to say I've been relactating since Thursday because that is when I started the domperidone and getting on a more consistent pumping schedule. I guess the time before hand was nipple toughening up or something...

I had been getting drops on my nipples when I pumped, but they were thick and not very milk-like. Now my right breast is getting drops of milk, but it's not enough to say, give to DS. I am hoping that this is a response to the domperidone and that the drops will continue and increase very soon.

Like I said, I have been taking the domperidone for several days now. I started at 30mg 3x, but bumped myself up to 40mg 3x, and that seems to have made the difference in the milk drops.

I do try to eat oatmeal, but not as much as I should. I also have tried mother's milk tea, but had an LC tell me that just drinking a ton of water is probably what I need most right now.

I have not been consistent with pumping until recently, which I am determined to fix now. I have set times that I pump and I am making myself stick to them, it ends up being 7-8 times a day. I'm also going to start pumping in the middle of the night, after I get up with DS. I was hoping not to have to do middle of the night pumpings, but if I'm serious about getting my milk back in (which I am), I don't think I can afford to go such a long stretch without pumping at night.

The other thing that I think has hurt me greatly is that in the last 3 weeks, I have had 2 periods! And I'm talking real, heavy bleeding, cramps and bloating, periods... not just spotting. I think my body is thoroughly confused right now, I hope it straightens itself out soon.

So that's where I'm at... I wish I had an update like, "I just gave DS an oz. of BM" but not yet. It will come though, I am frustrated but nowhere near giving in or giving up. This is going to happen, I will give my son BM.

My new goal as far as relactation goes, is that when DS goes for his 4-month checkup and the pedi asks if he is still on the same formula, my response will be... yes he drinks formula AND breast milk Big Smile

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: My relactation journey... an update (long)

• Options

Glad to hear things are getting better, even if it is a slow process. :)

Pumping in the middle of the night is rough, but I've found that Violet doesn't seem to mind if I pump while bottle-feeding her. I get all set up on the pump, then place her on a pillow between my legs, then feed and burp her while the pump whooshes away. It saves me about 30 minutes of awake time... so worth it. {Hands-free nursing bra= key!}

• Options

keep it up momma you are doing great.

try and make those cookies, they seem to do something for me, i have more milk in the fridge since i started eating them, its amazing, i have 2 bottles ready to go and she already had a 4oz bottle today.

i have had to get up in the middle of the night to pump cuz i have felt full, and because Samantha is sleeping through the night the LC suggested that i pump at night if i can or even feed her but i really dont want to wake her up at least once. and to keep pumping every 2 hours

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for the good advice!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"