Parenting after 35

twice this week: "when are you due?"

Um, I'm not due. I already did--eight and a half months ago. Isn't it an unspoken rule that you don't ask someone when she's due unless you *know* with 100% certainty that she is pregnant?!? It's awkward and embarrassing all around when I then get to answer "I'm not pregnant, I had a baby in December" and the person starts backpedaling.

I'm not fooling myself, I still have baby weight and it's concentrated in the belly area (admittedly, hearing the question yesterday made me realize I *really* need to get to work on losing these 15 lbs). But geez, I don't ask you why your hair is thinning or say "gee, your a$$ is getting really huge!" Not quite the same thing, but for a sensitive post-pg mom who still has baby weight, it feels very similar!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: twice this week: "when are you due?"

What are people thinking??? Not nice!

Robby's Blog

Momma Bear
    Big - 1 year old
    Bigger - 6 years old
    Biggest - 13 years old

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Dude. I'm sorry.

I hear you, I've been there, and I'm still there.

I have been 10 pounds over my pre-pg weight since 2.5 weeks after I gave birth.  It seems it's just getting more and more concentrated in my torso, too. Add that to the fact that DS is almost 22 months old, and people are really thinking I'm pg again.  If they don't say it, the stares and the "thinking better of asking about it" looks on their faces are just about as bad.

Ugh.  Right on about the butts and hairlines.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Unbelievable.  It's totally the rule that you don't ask unless you KNOW the person is pregnant.  I don't care if they look like they might go into labor at any second.

People suck.

• So rude! I mean, there are times I catch a glimpse of my profile in a mirror and wonder when I'm due, but that's between me, my clothes and the scale, not other people's business.

You so don't ask unless the person is about to pop.

• I am so sorry. Some people just don't think.
  • I am so sorry. That is awful. I would NEVER say that to anyone ! I am right there with you for sure.....I ask DH all the time if I look pg and of course he says no but I know....
  • hmmmm....were either of them Asians?  Asians tend to be bold and they'll ask stupid sh*t like that.  (i'm allowed to stereo-type my own people)  I work with this Asian girl and she'll have no problem telling me something is ugly on me; or she'll say I look like I gained a few pounds. 

People are dumb and they'll say stupid ***!  Don't worry you're a beautiful mom.

• Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Ugh, that's the worst! People just don't think or are ignorant.
  • Unless it's super obvious a woman's pregnant (like her belly looks like 9 months!) and that person is my friend, relative or coworker, I never make such a comment, you never know!
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • I never ask that question unless the mother is clearly 8+ months along!

This happened to me a few months after my 2-year-old was born. I went to the gym for the first time postpartum and decided to take a pool aerobics class. The instructor introduced herself to me and said, "You're going to love this class. It's great for pregnant women." I felt like crap after that. I had weight to lose, but I didn't think I looked pregnant.

• Me too, Livvielo!!! I work at a junior high so that age of kid has NO regard for social niceties! It still hurt my feelings, but also made me realize that I have got to get serious about losing this weight!! I'm right there with ya' sista!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"