We discovered this when he was almost 1. We were making birdfeeders for MIL for Mother's Day with pine cones, pb and bird seed. When I started, I actually looked at my options and wondered if I shouldn't use cream cheese instead because he was still young and had never had pb before, but then I decided he'd be OK because there's no history of allergies. I also figured I could keep him out of it. Who knows what I was thinking?!
By the time we were on the 3rd one, he was covered in PB and he had both fists in his mouth. I took him and DD in for a bath. Sure enough, a few minutes later, I noticed a hive on his forehead, then on his cheeks, then his chest, etc. His face looked like it was swelling, but he also has very big cheeks and it was hard to tell.
I got him out of the bath and told DD to sing to me so I knew she was OK while I gave him a good dose of benadryl. I then grabbed the phone and started to get him in a diaper. While I did it, his eyes rolled back in his head and he appeared listless. I was about to dial 911 as I picked him up and shouted at him and checked his pulse. He opened his eyes and I told him just to listen to me and look at me.
All the while, DD is singing to me from the bathroom :)
I then called DH at work and told him we were headed to the hospital.
I got DD out of the tub, and dressed. She insisted on changing dresses just as we were walking out. I went with it, not wanting to cause a meltdown but did hurry her along.
Thankfully the hospital is 5 minutes away. We got parked and went in. Despite the fact that I'd told them he might be having an allergic reaction to peanuts, they made me fill out the paper work. It wasn't until she read it that they then rushed us in.
By that time, he was doing better though, but still quite red and puffy. They gave more Benadryl and discovered he had an ear infection. They couldn?t accurately say if it was an allergic reaction though but the doctor was concerned about the size of his face.
We were given prescriptions for epi pens and antibiotics, and sent our our way. I was told I could give more Benadryl if needed.
A month later we went to the allergist and found out he?s severely allergic to peanuts (good-bye PB & Chocolate ice cream. Did I eat too much of it while I was PG?).
The ironic thing was that on the Monday before he?d had hot, red hives all over his groin. DD used to get them when she was coming down with something. I sent him to daycare because he was fine otherwise but did pick him up early.
The next day, I?d taken him to the ped who said it was probably just some virus. I asked the ped how I?d know another time if they were serious or not. He said my Mommy instincts would kick in and I?d just know. 5 days later, they did!