3rd Trimester

Anyone have low fluid at 34 weeks?

What did they do for it?  I was induced at 37 weeks with my son because of low fluid.  I have my first ultrasound to check fluid levels for this pregnancy next week, at 35 weeks.  I went in to the office for a regular checkup and NST today and the baby wasn't moving much, they made me eat peanut butter and drink a soda and kept me hooked up for about an hour, then they sent me home.  I googled and it looks like less movement could be a symptom of low fluid, so I'm thinking I may have the same problem with this pregnancy.  At 35 weeks, what will they do?  Keep me in the hospital?  Bedrest until 37 weeks?  My doctor just said that we will discuss at the ultrasound once we see the results.

Re: Anyone have low fluid at 34 weeks?

• That's weird because we went to L&D in a freakout moment when I realized I hadn't felt LO all day. Of course she started moving once I was hooked up, but the doctor on call did an US and said my fluid was low. This was at 34 weeks, too (that would be the weird part). Then she set me up with 2 NST appointments a week and when I had them last week fluid was fine, she was moving great and everything looked fantastic, so on yesterday my normal OB said not to bother with the NST appointments anymore. Who knows if it's related or not, but I wouldn't worry if they aren't worried. If he said you'd talk about it at your next regular appointment, they he obviously doesn't think it's anything to be concerned about. Good luck, though, I know how scary it can be.
  • I've had low to low normal fluid levels since 34 weeks.  Every OB has a different "critical" level.  For me, the level is 5mm.  If my fluid drops to or below 5 then I am hospitalized and we start to discuss induction.  If my fluid stays up...then I am free to go as long as I rest (laying down) as much as possible.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm 36 weeks and just found out yesterday that my fluid was low. They like it between 5-20 and yesterday mine was 5.2. So they had me go home drink plenty of fluids and pack my bags just in case. This morning my level was still low but up at 5.8-6. So my ob wants me to come back Friday for another biophysical profile and go from there. In the meantime I was told to drink plenty of fluids and make sure the baby is moving. But im guessing if it's still low they'll probably induce. He said at this stage he's fine with induction. In fact he said that usually once you make it past 34 weeks you have hit a good milestone.
    Married in 2008.  Mom to 2 boys:  2010 and 2014
  • imagemcdmaw:
    I've had low to low normal fluid levels since 34 weeks.  Every OB has a different "critical" level.  For me, the level is 5mm.  If my fluid drops to or below 5 then I am hospitalized and we start to discuss induction.  If my fluid stays up...then I am free to go as long as I rest (laying down) as much as possible.

My doc has the same cutoff of 5.  I had a growth scan with my son at 37 weeks (had no idea about the low fluid) and my level was 4, so they induced me right then since I was already full term.  I wonder what my level will be this time.  I hope it's above 5 - I really don't want to be admitted to the hospital. 

• How do they measure if your fluid is low?? I feel like my LO doesn't move that often, he moves around and shifts at night when I'm lying down but not so much during the day. Should I ask for it to be checked?
  • imageTAMLVSCARL:
    How do they measure if your fluid is low?? I feel like my LO doesn't move that often, he moves around and shifts at night when I'm lying down but not so much during the day. Should I ask for it to be checked?

They do an ultrasound.  I bet less movement could be a symptom of a lot of things, I just think in my case it might be low fluid since it happened to me before.  I would do kick counts and call your doc if you think he isn't moving enough.

• When they do your US they'll measure it anyways. The measure the space between baby and uterus in two directions. My hospital just started a new system that doesn't use the "4 quadrant" system that everyone else's seems to use still. Instead of adding it up and rating between 5-20, now they just try to find two areas that are at least 2 cms of space. Anything between 2-8 cms is the "ok" range with this system. I measured 5.6 cms at my last NST. If I were to go below 2 cms they would induce. If LO isn't moving as much anymore it's prob. just because he's too big to anymore in there :) I wouldn't worry.
  • Tx for the reassurance Bonnie! I was thinking that was probably why it seems as tho he doesn't move as much as before. I had an US at 31 weeks and everything looked great so I'll just check with my doctor at my next appt (Monday) to be sure.
  • Thanks for this info ladies! I went in yesterday for an ultrasound at 33 weeks and was told my fluid was at 7.96 and normal is between 8 and 25.  So I'm on the cusp and was a little freaked.  I was told to rest when I get home from work and seriously start drinking more water.  They also said that if I went to 5 cms or below, they'd admit me to the hospital for IV rehydration to see if that helped.  I am glad to know that this isn't a completely abnormal thing and that it can be something that is monitored before becoming a serious concern. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"