Photography

When to upgrade your camera?

I don't think I'm at that point yet but just wondering... how do you know when your current camera is limiting you and it's time to move up?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When to upgrade your camera?

• When you feel limited with what you can achieve with your current camera. 
  • You know when it is time.  You are missing shots, can't take shots, and you know what you need to do but you physically can't and buying a new lens or flash etc still will not allow you to get those shots.  But before you buy a new body you should always invest in lenses, new camera bodies come out every single year (especially the entry level ones) and you will always be on your way to out growing one.  Lenses on the other hand don't get upgraded for YEARS, sometimes 10 or more so that is where you always want to invest your money.  Out of all the money I have spent on photography over the last 4 years, I would say 20% or less was spent on camera bodies. 
  • image MicheleLouise:
    You know when it is time.  You are missing shots, can't take shots, and you know what you need to do but you physically can't and buying a new lens or flash etc still will not allow you to get those shots.  But before you buy a new body you should always invest in lenses, new camera bodies come out every single year (especially the entry level ones) and you will always be on your way to out growing one.  Lenses on the other hand don't get upgraded for YEARS, sometimes 10 or more so that is where you always want to invest your money.  Out of all the money I have spent on photography over the last 4 years, I would say 20% or less was spent on camera bodies. 

^----what she said 

• Thanks everyone for your answers. That makes sense and it's definitely something to keep in mind for later down the road.

The only thing that sucks is the D5000 (current cam) requires lenses with a built-in AF motor so I can't get the lenses I really want like the Tokina 11-16 or the 50mm 1.4. But hey, maybe for Christmas. :)

• image caldera:

Thanks everyone for your answers. That makes sense and it's definitely something to keep in mind for later down the road.

The only thing that sucks is the D5000 (current cam) requires lenses with a built-in AF motor so I can't get the lenses I really want like the Tokina 11-16 or the 50mm 1.4. But hey, maybe for Christmas. :)

I understand that frustration well. You could also look into used lenses to save a bit of money?

image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 

• image MicheleLouise:
    You know when it is time.  You are missing shots, can't take shots, and you know what you need to do but you physically can't and buying a new lens or flash etc still will not allow you to get those shots.  But before you buy a new body you should always invest in lenses, new camera bodies come out every single year (especially the entry level ones) and you will always be on your way to out growing one.  Lenses on the other hand don't get upgraded for YEARS, sometimes 10 or more so that is where you always want to invest your money.  Out of all the money I have spent on photography over the last 4 years, I would say 20% or less was spent on camera bodies. 

this.

I have a d40 and while I am limited (extremely for what I want to do) there are things that I can do around me to help. Whether it be a speedlight, soft boxes and other things, but I like natural light and want to stick with that. 

I am upgrading to a d300s and some nice glass.

What lenses do you have? My d40 will also not work with lenses on my "must have" list. So to me, that is where I am limited.

• image caldera:

Thanks everyone for your answers. That makes sense and it's definitely something to keep in mind for later down the road.

That has to be frustrating and that is why I always tell people to avoid those truly entry level Nikons if they can, nothing against Nikon in general but the d90 or new d7000 would be a better starter camera at least in my opinion.

What I would suggest to you, is to save up until you can get a mid range body (D7000 or d300s for example) and a couple of new lenses at the same time then.  

• For me it was very obvious.  I felt limited.  I knew everything about my last camera (XTi).  I knew what other cameras had that I needed.

I got to be fast with knowing how to change my settings, but I wasn't able to change them as fast as I would like.  The 40D allows me to change my settings without looking at anything, and fast.  It has more features that fit my needs.

Beginner cameras (like the Rebels) have come a long way.  They're making them much harder for people to outgrow.  I think the one thing that sets the newer Rebels and the 40/50D apart is the body.  For me, that was enough reason to upgrade.   

• image *itsmepin*:
    this.

I have a d40 and while I am limited (extremely for what I want to do) there are things that I can do around me to help. Whether it be a speedlight, soft boxes and other things, but I like natural light and want to stick with that. 

I am upgrading to a d300s and some nice glass.

What lenses do you have? My d40 will also not work with lenses on my "must have" list. So to me, that is where I am limited.

I have the Tamron 28-75 and a 35mm 1.8 so far. I *think* I read that both of those will work on a camera that already has an AF motor in it so those should be okay when I do eventually upgrade one day.

image janineb:
    I understand that frustration well. You could also look into used lenses to save a bit of money?

True! Good point, that cheers me up. :)

• What everyone else already said. =D

I think there's something very wise to learning all you can from an entry level camera.  I think it forces one to really perfect certain things because of the limitations.  But, I also learned how to drive on a stick shift, so I always think that is the best way to learn how to drive.  Stick out tongue  Just something about keeping it simple.  BUT, I think I definitely see that not being able to AF w/ certain lenses is a big problem, if it is limiting you on your next purchase. 

• Sorry, didn't mean to ignore you guys in my response. :) I was on the phone while typing my last one.

image MicheleLouise:
    That has to be frustrating and that is why I always tell people to avoid those truly entry level Nikons if they can, nothing against Nikon in general but the d90 or new d7000 would be a better starter camera at least in my opinion.

What I would suggest to you, is to save up until you can get a mid range body (D7000 or d300s for example) and a couple of new lenses at the same time then.  

Yeah it's definitely frustrating! I wish I would have known back when I bought my camera that I'd have this issue... I just didn't spend enough time researching or asking the right questions. I guess I can be a lesson to the newbies here who are looking to buy their first camera. :)

What you suggested sounds exactly what I had in mind. I've been lusting after the d300s for awhile but the new D7000 sounds really good too. I definitely still have room to "grow" with my current camera but I can see how the lens thing will become more of an issue in the future.

image grinsandgiggles:

For me it was very obvious.  I felt limited.  I knew everything about my last camera (XTi).  I knew what other cameras had that I needed.

I got to be fast with knowing how to change my settings, but I wasn't able to change them as fast as I would like.  The 40D allows me to change my settings without looking at anything, and fast.  It has more features that fit my needs.

Beginner cameras (like the Rebels) have come a long way.  They're making them much harder for people to outgrow.  I think the one thing that sets the newer Rebels and the 40/50D apart is the body.  For me, that was enough reason to upgrade.  

Thanks for your response. I'm glad you brought up the whole settings thing. I'm kind of getting to that point now (knowing what I need to do but not being able to do it fast enough because I have to scroll through a bunch of stuff on the menu).

That's really interesting about the Rebels being harder to outgrow.

image afwells:

What everyone else already said. =D

I think there's something very wise to learning all you can from an entry level camera.  I think it forces one to really perfect certain things because of the limitations.  But, I also learned how to drive on a stick shift, so I always think that is the best way to learn how to drive.  Stick out tongue  Just something about keeping it simple.  BUT, I think I definitely see that not being able to AF w/ certain lenses is a big problem, if it is limiting you on your next purchase. 

Haha I hear ya on learning the hard way sometimes. The lenses issue isn't limiting me quite yet but I can see in the future it will be a problem. Hopefully within 6 months or so when I have the money for those lenses I'll be ready to upgrade the camera body too... we'll see!

• Im 99% certain the 50mm 1.4G will autofocus on your camera, its the 1.8 that wont. I am a Nikon girl, but I always rec people to start high (D90 and up) when buying Nikon, I feel like its better to grow into something than grow out of it in 6 months or so. I think thats also why people go with rebels in the beginning.

I think youll know when you need to upgrade. You will start hating your camera and its limitations.

Family Blog

My Crazy Birth Story

My BFP Chart

~ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Portia Jane (June '04), Adelaide Isabel (May '09) & Scarlett Olivia (born at 38 weeks 6 days on December 18th, 2011 - 7lbs 7 oz, 20 inches long)

• image Mike&Care:

Im 99% certain the 50mm 1.4G will autofocus on your camera, its the 1.8 that wont. I am a Nikon girl, but I always rec people to start high (D90 and up) when buying Nikon, I feel like its better to grow into something than grow out of it in 6 months or so. I think thats also why people go with rebels in the beginning.

I think youll know when you need to upgrade. You will start hating your camera and its limitations.

Yeah, you're right. I meant the 50mm 1.8... that's what I get for typing while talking on the phone. :)