2nd Trimester

Flu shot this coming winter- safe for baby? Any thoughts?

My doctor suggested I get the flu shot soon since I work with the public but of course, as with anything else, I wonder if it's safe for the baby? I am sure many have had it and I won't be the first one to question it, but I still have qualms about it... 

Re: Flu shot this coming winter- safe for baby? Any thoughts?

• I really, really wish n00bs would learn to go back a page or two to see if this has been asked recently.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• I got one at my OB's office soooo pretty sure it's safe for baby.
  • I am sorry to bother you, I am fairly new on here and I was asking a legitimate question. Thank you for your help.
  • image kdodge423:

I really, really wish n00bs would learn to go back a page or two to see if this has been asked recently.

Read the title if you are not interested skip over it! Shouldnt have to look back 3 pages~ chill!!

Welcome, OP!! I plan to ask my OB tomorrow!

• Hello - welcome.  Some comments you learn to ignore.

Anyways - I've also been thinking about this.  I wanted to get the regular flu shot but this year there is going to be a mixture of both H1N1 and the reg flu.  I havn't had the flu shot in over 7 years and my body does better without the thing.  I'm going to discuss this with my doc and my DH but I'm leaning on not getting it.

• from what I remember, it is advised for pregnant women to get the flu shot.  It also protects the baby even after baby is born. I got one when pregnant with DS.  I was teaching elem school at the time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I went back and checked, being prego and emotional and being called a noob for something I wanted info on didn't make it better. ;o) I believe I will be getting the shot as I would rather not be fevered and feeling crappy! ;o) Thank you ladies!
  • I plan on getting it.  I am a nurse practitioner in nursing homes so flu outbreaks are common and I want to protect myself and my family.  I used to not bat an eyelash at getting the shot each year but of course being pregnant makes you think twice.  But given the high risk of getting the flu I am going to get vaccinated (my OB recommends this as well as my son's pediatrician.)
  • image kdodge423:

I really, really wish n00bs would learn to go back a page or two to see if this has been asked recently.

Wow, maybe someone who has been here a while should know by now that if you see a post that you do not like then just dont open it. Its pretty pointless to come in here and say what you did. People are going to ask the same question over and over, just dont open it if you do not have anything helpful to say. At the very least you could have linked her to the past post.

Grow up.

As for the OP, yes I will be getting the flu shot while pregnant.  

Photobucket
  • I just got mine today! ....my arm is killing me!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • There's no evidence anywhere that the shot is bad for baby and plenty of evidence that the flu can be especially dangerous for pg women so I will definitely be getting it.
  • image TexasLadyBug:
    image kdodge423:

Wow, maybe someone who has been here a while should know by now that if you see a post that you do not like then just dont open it. Its pretty pointless to come in here and say what you did. People are going to ask the same question over and over, just dont open it if you do not have anything helpful to say. At the very least you could have linked her to the past post.

Grow up.

As for the OP, yes I will be getting the flu shot while pregnant.  

And you should know stupid little rants like yours get nowhere and you should have just kept your mouth shut and ignored me. Apparently that advice only applies one way, huh?

Pot, meet kettle.

• If your doctor suggested it, it should be a no brainer.  I got my OB to write me a note today so that when they offer them at work I can get them.  The risk of getting the seasonal flu or H1N1 while pregnant is too high when there's a vaccine that works well.  Even if I didn't work with the public I'd still get it.  It's not like you're going to sit in your house alone for 9 months!
  • Yep, I'm getting a flu shot.  I found a preservative free one at our Walgreens so I'm really not even thinking twice about getting it.
  • I have never gotten a flu shot for myself, but I think I might this year because baby will be born during December. 
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 

• Safe for baby or not safe I will not be getting any of the flu shots. Thankfully my OB does not believe in pushing them.  Now if only my job was not such a pushover when it comes to media scare tactics.

imageimage image

• image Jenniferk08:

Safe for baby or not safe I will not be getting any of the flu shots. Thankfully my OB does not believe in pushing them.  Now if only my job was not such a pushover when it comes to media scare tactics.

LOL. I am curious what the media will focus on now that H1N1 is no longer the pandemic that will kill us all- ZOMG!

• I saw my OB today, and she told me to get the shot in the next month or so. It is safe, and pregnant women get priority for flu shots in case of shortages.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • yes, our whole family will be getting one next month. I didn't get one last pregnancy because I wasn't due until July and my OB didn't suggest it.
  • I got mine yesterday and was a little freaked. My OB is the one who suggested it and everything I have read suggests it...so I am happy I got it.
  • I've never got one during pregnancy and no one in my family gets them.

I don't care if they say they are safe - I don't feel comfortable getting them during pregnancy.  History has proven that many things that are deemed safe during pregnancy have been found out a decade later to be unsafe.  It's not worth the risk to me.

• My OB absolutely recommended I get it along with the H1N1. There is WAY more risk of getting the flu and harming the baby than having a bad reaction to the vaccines.
  • The flu can be extremely dangerous and even deadly for pregnant women.  Pregnancy results in a weakened state of immunity, so illnesses like the flu can become much more serious. 

While I ordinarily do not like to get the flu shot (had a bad reaction a number of years ago), I did get the flu and H1N1 shots last year.  Trust me, if you see a few people with swine flu, you will not hesitate to get the vaccine! 

I will be getting a flu shot this year. 

We lost our beloved daughter Angeline at 30 w 5 d. http://angelinebornangel.blogspot.com/ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • image Jenniferk08:

Safe for baby or not safe I will not be getting any of the flu shots. Thankfully my OB does not believe in pushing them.  Now if only my job was not such a pushover when it comes to media scare tactics.

Yeah, an average of about 40,000 deaths per year from influenza in the US alone is totally a media scare tactic. That's about as many as will die from breast cancer every year.  Do you think all the breast cancer awareness, self screenings, etc are a scare tactic as well?   

Gee, just imagine if there was SOMETHING we could do to help prevent all those influenza deaths.  Oh wait....

Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • image ~adamwife~:

I've never got one during pregnancy and no one in my family gets them.

I don't care if they say they are safe - I don't feel comfortable getting them during pregnancy.  History has proven that many things that are deemed safe during pregnancy have been found out a decade later to be unsafe.  It's not worth the risk to me.

I kinda feel the same way, almost everything says it's safe and even recommended and I am usually all for medical advances and not the type to go against progress, but something about them makes me uneasy.  I am avoiding them, but if I worked in a clinic or hospital or even with children, I would probably get it then, cause I know the flu is a pretty bad thing when you are prego.  but definitely a valid concern.

• image kdodge423:
    image Jenniferk08:

LOL. I am curious what the media will focus on now that H1N1 is no longer the pandemic that will kill us all- ZOMG!

Same here!  I thought this last year after the H1N1 SCARE calmed down.  This year, instead of being airborne, it will come in the mail like anthrax. 

As for the shot... I do not plan to get one.  My OB also is not a big pusher of this, so I do not need to worry about anybody forcing it on me either.  I really think that avoiding the flu comes from staying in good health and taking vitamins.  Just a personal opinion obviously.

• image kdodge423:
    image Jenniferk08:

Haven't you heard of the SUPERBUG?!?!? 

First news article that comes up on Google about SUPERBUG

It's going to kill us all. ;)

Anyway, I'm getting the flu shot. Not only because I'm pregnant but because I have some serious respiratory issues, so protecting myself is important. Plus, people are disgusting. I'm amazed at the number of adults on the train I take every day that don't cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze. And I work with germy college kids.

Vacation

• image melissa4252008:
    image kdodge423:
    image Jenniferk08:

Haven't you heard of the SUPERBUG?!?!? 

First news article that comes up on Google about SUPERBUG

It's going to kill us all. ;)

Yes

Sounds like a comic book character.

• I`m getting it.  I got it my last pregnancy too.  I had no problems, or side effects other than a sore arm.

I'd rather get the vax then get the flu while I am 35 weeks pregnant.  Also, it protects the baby after it's born since you can't give a flu shot to a newborn. 

• Our whole family will get it this year.  I also got it while pg with my DS.  I would rather benefit from not getting the flu/having my baby fall deathly ill than whatever teensy risks there are.