Hawaii Babies
Options

tattoo...again

I'm going to get my "for the boys" tattoo in a week, so I HAVE to get my design finished!

I was 99% settled on this (in addition to little pirates, we sometimes call our boys our little sparrows):

Then I was browsing online, looking for simple decorations I could use in their nursery when I saw these paper boat chains:

And I kinda loved the idea of paper boats - tying in with the pirate idea without being TOO pirate, kwim? (I don't want sailboats or Jolly Roger flags or anything like that.)

What do you think? If you didn't already know what they were, would you be able to tell? (The execution was surprisingly difficult because I don't want any shading and I'm not sure if I got it since I've been looking at it so long!) Better in concept than in practice? Too weird? Too...I don't know?

[Poll]

Re: tattoo...again

• Options
    Tough call but I ultimately voted for the boats. I really like the boats--super cute! Both designs look good and have sentimental meanings, but the two reason why I voted for the boats is (1) I loved the simplicity of the design (2) less ink = less pain =)
    Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • Options
    I think the birds look a little big for your wrist area IMO. I like the boats better, cute and simple but not too cute if you get what I mean. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The boats will hurt way less than those birds because the boats are just outlines, whereas the birds have a lot of filled in color...something to consider too...

I voted for birds...I think you may find yourself "explaining" the paper boats a lot more often than if you get the birds.

• Options
    I find myself liking the boats more because you have called the boys pirates since the very beginning.  I do agree with Lori about having to explain what they are a bit more tho.  You said no shading I know but maybe a bit would help?  Pain is all relative with tats really :)  With mine the outline hurt almost more than the shading.  
    I love Hawaii!

Tara & Ian . 4/24/2008 . The Kahala Planning . Married

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    am i the only one that sees the boats and thinks hats? they look like the paper hats i used to fold when i was a kid.  so i voted for the birds :)
  • Options
    imageMarried2MrWright:

I voted for birds...I think you may find yourself "explaining" the paper boats a lot more often than if you get the birds.

I don't mind having to explain (no matter what I get), mostly because it's something that has significance to me - if other people don't understand it instantly, that's OK. I hope that makes sense!

I am, however, a bit concerned that people might read them as hats, like Jaime mentioned (I didn't put that in my OP because I wanted to see if anyone would come up with it on their own). 

• Options

I voted for neither, I don't think you're there yet. When you see the design that's right for you, you will go "YES! That's IT!"...you won't have doubts, the design will just resonate.

You have to wear these for the rest of your life, you have to feel that 'click' as soon as you see it.

When you DO find that design, print it out and stick it next to your bed so that it's the first thing you see in the morning and the last thing you see at night. If, after a month or two of looking at it you're still not sick of it....then go for it.

I also saw paper hats, sorry hon lol. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"