2nd Trimester

Elective C-Section-Poll

So I just finished reading the book "Knocked Up" (not the same as the movie) for fun...not pregnancy education.  The book is kind of a journal of a girl's pregnancy from beginning to end.  In the end she decided to have an elective c-section.  She did it for several reasons, non of which were medical. 

Part of her reasoning was "protecting her pelvic floor".  I guess pregnancy / labor & delivery can damage your pelvic floor muscles causing urinary incontinence in some people.  I actually work with a girl this happened to.  She had surgery to have a sling put in but it still didn't correct the issue, thus she leaks urine to some extent every day.

So my question is, would there ever be a reason you would consider an elective c-section (other than medical reasons)?  More convienent, pelvic floor reasoning, scared of natural L&D, ect?  Flame free ladies.  I'm curious about honest answers. 

Re: Elective C-Section-Poll

• No.  Absolutely not.
    image  image
    Carina 12.28.2010 | Aurelia 9.23.12 | Chart - Round 3
  • image mchupie:
    No.  Absolutely not.

Ditto.  If it looks like I'm not going to have any major complications I would actually like to go natural and possibly a water birth.  I'm also one of those people who would never consider formula feeding unless I was completely incapable to breast feeding.  I'm not being judgy, but IMO, this is what our bodies were designed to do.

• I am having a C section because I had one with my first son and I have been told by 3 different doctors that another C section is just the safest way for all parties involved.  BUT I have been in labor and delivery with my sister while she had my neice and let me just say that if I had a CHOICE I would pick C section.  I saw what she went through and I can honestly say that is not something I would ever want to do. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No way.  I had a natural birth with my first, and I plan to again. I would be much more afraid of major surgery than giving birth vaginally.
  • If I didn't have to have a repeat c/s, there is no way in hell I'd have an elective c/s.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Never. I was very disappointed that I needed a c/s with DS. This pregnancy I have the option to do a VBAC. I haven't made up my mind yet but if I do have a c/s I think that would be considered more of medical reason, right?
  • image mchupie:
    No.  Absolutely not.

Same.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    Wondering why my tickers don't match? Check out my breastfeeding story here
  • I think all pregnancy choices are not my position to judge and everyone has the right to their opinion.

Personally, I would not choose an elective c/s. With that said, I don't consider medical reasons elective or choosing c/s because of a prior c/s. I firmly believe everyone has their reasons for their choices and it's not my place to judge this difficult decision of theirs!

• No way.  Never.
    dx PCOS on Metformin
    LO#1 - 19 cycles, 3 IUIs, 1 m/c, gonal-f, ganirelix, ovidrel, progesterone
    Totally worth the wait!
    Getting ready for #2
    Back on Met, PCOS diet, prepping for treatments 1/12

Good luck to the wonderful ladies of 3T
    Always cheering on my girls Gymnst1013 & MrsJohns
    My Chart / Info for Newbies
  • no, i really want to go into labor and give birth. i would be bummed if i had to have a c/s.

Loss 1: 2003
    Loss 2: 2007
    Loss 3: 2008
    Loss 4: 2010
    dx: homozygous MTHFR and Factor VIII Heparin shots twice daily and our miracle baby born 2/19/2011

• image mchupie:
    No.  Absolutely not.

This exactly.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No. My labor was horrible with my first and although it still gives me nightmares, I would do it again before I elected to have a c/s.
    Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image jmm881:

I think all pregnancy choices are not my position to judge and everyone has the right to their opinion.

Personally, I would not choose an elective c/s. With that said, I don't consider medical reasons elective or choosing c/s because of a prior c/s. I firmly believe everyone has their reasons for their choices and it's not my place to judge this difficult decision of theirs!

I agree.  Those cases wasn't really what I was referring to.  I find it very interesting that it is becoming a common event for celebrities and those with high powered careers to schedule elective c-sections to better fit in with their personal schedule or in some cases because they just do not want to "push".  No judgement here. 

• I wouldn't. 

BTW, my mom had the sling surgery and it didn't help.  She still needs to wear a pad when she jogs. 

• No, I actually look forward to labor and delivery. I won't be devastated if I have to have a c-section for medical reasons but I would genuinely like to experience giving birth vaginally.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am having a scheduled c/s due to high risk status,but they asked me if I would prefer a c/s or an induction.My c/s is at 37w5d,and they said that since it is early,I would probably not be favorable for induction and have a good chance (70%) of ending up with a c/s anyways.

Personally,I am so happy I am having the c/s.I know I'm in the minority,but I have no desire to have a vaginal birth whatsoever,and I have had multiple major abdominal surgeries,so I feel well prepared mentally for the c/s.Also,as long as I can remember I have a huge,irrational I know,fear of having a undiscovered brain aneurysm that bursts during birth,making me drop dead.

If elective c/s's were standard in my practice(meaning for no health reasons whatsoever)I would probably choose one.

Lilypie - (yNYF)

Lilypie - (bSes)

T1 diabetes diagnosed 11/95 due to severe pancreatic injury
    BFP 1 1/22/10 EDD 9/30/10 Adria b. 9/11/10 d.8/9/11, Transposition of the Great Arteries,
    Pleural effusion, Kidney Failure
    BFP 2 4/26/12 EDD 1/3/13 M/C 5/13/12
    BFP 3 10/3/12 EDD 6/17/13 Twins! Preston and Juliet b. 5/22/13

• Plus I am WAY more terrified of the pain of a C/S verses L/D. I think that curtain blocking my view would drive me bonkers and I wouldn't feel comfortable not seeing what was happening and I definitely wouldn't like to see what was happening when they had to cut my stomach open either!
  • image BellaCapulet:
    image jmm881:

I think all pregnancy choices are not my position to judge and everyone has the right to their opinion.

I agree.  Those cases wasn't really what I was referring to.  I find it very interesting that it is becoming a common event for celebrities and those with high powered careers to schedule elective c-sections to better fit in with their personal schedule or in some cases because they just do not want to "push".  No judgement here. 

And I knew you weren't referring to those - I just didn't want anyone to think I was considering them elective.

• image VTbride05:
    No. My labor was horrible with my first and although it still gives me nightmares, I would do it again before I elected to have a c/s.

This.  Pushing was something I could not have prepared for and it was the toughest thing I've ever done.  But I still wouldn't want an elective c/s.  Instead, I am reading up on natural child birth and getting my mind ready.  I know what the pain is going to be like- I feel like I can mentally prepare now. 

• I would! After 24 hours of labor (15 without epi) with DD, I ended up with a c-section b/c my pelvis is too narrow....so this one will be a c-section (although I don't consider it elective). With that said, during PA school, I delivered about 30 babies vaginally (prob about 15 c-sections) and we saw more post-partum complications with vaginal deliveries than c-sections...such as hemorrhoids, pelvic floor dysfunction, incontience (my BFF has a 4 and 2 year old and is still incontinent), inability to orgasm (mothers who were many years PP who said it's ruining their marriage b/c they don't want to have sex), one woman tore so bad into her rectum, she needed MAJOR rectal/vaginal reconstruction after, etc. I had no problems with my c-section and went home less than 48 hours later and was completely fine and off pain meds (maybe an alleve here or there). Plus, i don't want to experience the pain of labor ever again!
    Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • No, never, loved my unmedicated vaginal birth. Also, research shows that it's pregnancy that causes incontinence, not vaginal birth - same rates among vaginal births and c-section. Check out www.cochranereview.org for more info.
  • I think a woman has the right to choose an elective cesarean.

Personally I can't see myself making that choice.  I had a c/s with my daughter and I am really hoping I can have a VBAC.  I do not want to get cut again. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • H*ll to the no. An elective C-section for the sake of convenience or to protect the pelvic floor (isn't that what kegels are for?) boggles my mind. But to each his own.
    252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • not a chance in hell would I ever elect for one.  I am having a natural birth (med free and as intervention free as posible) if all goes accordingly.  It is my personal belief that c-sections should be scheduled/used judiciously and I hope that the only reason that I'll ever need one is for an extreme emergency such as a cord prolapse.

and one word for the incontinence bit: kegels.  Start doin' them now ladies!

G 1.6.2011
    H 7.31.2012
    Soon to be outnumbered!  #3 due 11/4/2014 
  • image mchupie:
    No.  Absolutely not.

I concur

• No way!  I do everything in my power to avoid a c-section, which is why I'm giving birth at home this time.
  • Oh no, I'd like to avoid sugery if at all possible. I'd like to have a more natural birth, without the drugs and such. I also want to make sure I'm the first person (besides the hospital staff of course) that holds my baby.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No, other than for medical reasons, I definitely would not.

• Should you have the right to choose? Sure.

Do I judge the shiit out of those that won't even go into labor because it might hurt or because they want a specific birthday or they want to be able to travel by a certain date or whatever other ridiculous reason you can come up with that is not a medical reason? Absolutely.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers