1st Trimester

Any VBAC hopefuls out there?

If so, are you planning to take a childbirth class again? I feel like my first one really didn't prepare me for labor at all and then I was scheduled for a csection based on baby's size so I never experienced any labor at all. I found a new new practice where the doctors are supportive of VBAC's and has a reputationf for being VBAC friendly. 

Any recommendations on preparing for this? 

DD#1 12/30/08 DD#2 5/3/11

Re: Any VBAC hopefuls out there?

• I am hoping to do it, my dr. is Pro-VBAC if the person is willing to try, I am going to talk to her about it at my first appt. she probably has some good resources.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucketimage imageimage
  • I was going to try for a vbac w/ my 2nd and my ob told me about a vbac class that they had at our hospital. I never got to take it and ended up w/ another emergency c-sect. Ask your ob about some resources
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I haven't really thought about childbirth classes.  I took a Bradley class last time and it was beyond useless.  So not sure what I'm going to do this time.

I run a Google group for Bumpies interested in VBAC.  If anyone wants to join, just send me an email at nest.iris427 at gmail.

I'm also hoping the bump will give us a VBAC board.  Maybe we should just go take over the Pampers board LOL. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm thinking about trying for a VBAC.  If I have to be induced again, I think I might opt for another c-section.
    DD: 04/09 TTC#2 since 10/09 Dx: PCOS w/IR M/c #1: 07/10 M/c #2: 09/10 M/c #3: 03/11
  • I'd like to try.  I have my first OB appointment on the 13th, so I'm hoping we can discuss if I'm a candidate or not.  Let's hope I am!
  • I'm currently on the fence about it.  A friend said that her Dr wouldn't induce because she had a c-section before, does that sound like standard practice?
  • image Hotomale:
    I'm currently on the fence about it.  A friend said that her Dr wouldn't induce because she had a c-section before, does that sound like standard practice?

Most doctors won't do an induction if you've had a prior cesarean.  However, there are studies that show Pitocin can be safely used in a VBAC.  There are also methods that should not be any riskier in VBAC like using a Foley bulb to manually dilate the cervix.  Amniotomy can also be used in VBAC.

But with VBAC, a lot of doctors place restrictions on you that aren't necessarily based on medical science.  I hear things like you can't be induced, you can't go past 39/40 weeks, you can't have a baby weighing more than X pounds, etc etc. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • image iris427:

image Hotomale:
    I'm currently on the fence about it.  A friend said that her Dr wouldn't induce because she had a c-section before, does that sound like standard practice?

Most doctors won't do an induction if you've had a prior cesarean.  However, there are studies that show Pitocin can be safely used in a VBAC.  There are also methods that should not be any riskier in VBAC like using a Foley bulb to manually dilate the cervix.  Amniotomy can also be used in VBAC.

But with VBAC, a lot of doctors place restrictions on you that aren't necessarily based on medical science.  I hear things like you can't be induced, you can't go past 39/40 weeks, you can't have a baby weighing more than X pounds, etc etc. 

yeah I heard about the restriction thing too, if that is the case and I have to be induced I dont think I will do it, thats what happened last time and it ended in an emergency csection

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucketimage imageimage
  • I had a successful VBAC with this past pregnancy! and it was induced with pitocin at 39 weeks! i was in labor for 14 hrs but only 4 pushes and he was out! much,much better then a csection!! also i am hoping to go for another one and the risk of uterine rupture goes even farther down after a prior successful VBAC. i encourage anyone out there who can to do one!!

image image

• I am hoping and praying for it.  My midwife put me down for it.  She told me I have to have a doctor present throughout the whole labor and that if they have to induce it's a c-sect.  If I'm not progressing it's a c-section.  if anything goes awry... automatically c-sect.  But she said I can do it and they believe in it.  :)
  • Yup, hoping for it if I can talk my OB into it.  Will bring it up at my first appointment.

I took a Hypnobirthing class the first time around and I may do a review class, I haven't fully decided.  I will definitely hire my Hypnobirthing instructor as my doula this time around though.

imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• My OB and I have talked about it and as long as this baby isn't breech, I'm going for a VBAC this time around.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

my angel babies: 6/10 (chem. pg), 9/10 @ 10 weeks
  • I just had my check up this morning with my OB-GYN and I inquired about me having the possibility of a VBAC. She told me, it will depend on the size of the baby and my condition as well.  What discouraged me abit is that she also said that, VBAC is more expensive than a repeat CS because of the risks involved. I don't know if it is the same in your country, but it is what is like here in the Phils.  But i really want to be able to experience the natural way of giving birth...
  • image preggyafter9:
    I just had my check up this morning with my OB-GYN and I inquired about me having the possibility of a VBAC. She told me, it will depend on the size of the baby and my condition as well.  What discouraged me abit is that she also said that, VBAC is more expensive than a repeat CS because of the risks involved. I don't know if it is the same in your country, but it is what is like here in the Phils.  But i really want to be able to experience the natural way of giving birth...

What does she mean it is more expensive?  A vaginal delivery is usually cheaper than a c-section, unless there are serious complications.  Does she mean a VBAC attempt that ends in a repeat cesarean?

The major risk of VBAC is uterine rupture.  This occurs in less than 1% of VBAC cases and the risk is comparable to the risk of any other emergency happening, like a prolapsed cord.  So a VBAC is really not *that* much riskier than any other vaginal delivery.  I'm confused by what these risks are that your doctor says are making VBAC so expensive.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • image iris427:

image Hotomale:

This was true with my doctor when I had a VBAC with my son. I wasn't allowed to go over my due date and they would not induce me. Fortunately, I went into labor on my own 4 days before my due date.

My doctor has since stopped doing VBACs, but said I could try for one this time because I've had a successful one.