January 2011 Moms
Options

12 oz, at 19w2d

Does that possibly mean my daughter will be a "big" baby at birth since she is ahead of the average baby at 19 weeks?

I know every pregnancy is different, but this has me curious.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 12 oz, at 19w2d

• Options

I don't think there is necessarily an "average" measurement at this point, because every baby grows at their own rate. I was measuring "ahead" a week and DS was 10 oz when I had my u/s at 18 weeks but my OB said he could end up a big baby or be a normal weight.

Baby Center had a good article on it: https://www.babycenter.com/0_measuring-large-or-small-for-dates_1453305.bc

• Options
    I think she should be normal at birth my son was 14oz at 21weeks and my last son was 16oz and at birth he was 8pounds even. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Weights can be off on ultrasounds. My sister was told her son was under 7 lbs (it was 6 lbs some ozs but I can't remember) and he was born 2 days later at 8 lbs 5 oz. I know many other people that the babies would weigh this and were off. So they are just guessing on weights. Until you have the baby you won't know weather they will be big or not just from the ultrasound.
  • Options
    My little girl was the same at 19 weeks 2 days and my Dr said it was perefect and average for that time
  • Options
    I know u/s are a guesstimate, but my LO was 14 oz. at 20 wks. 5 days which put her in the 46 percentile for her age.  But now I know she's grown a lot these last 2 weeks because she is kicking me way higher on my belly.  I don't think I'd go by the measurements this early.  Wait to see when you're 36 weeks what they tell you.  :o)
  • Options

No. At this point, it means absolutely nothing. She could have just gone through a growth spurt and will even out over the weeks.

As others have mentioned, ultrasounds can be way off in regards to weight. My DS was estimated to be 7lbs at birth according to my 3rd tri ultrasound and he ended up being 10lbs.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

It means nothing.  DD was told after 5 u/s in the last month due to being breech that she would be no less than 7lbs at birth.  She was 6lbs 6oz and the doctor sounded shocked when the nurse said the weight.

My SIL had to opposite.  Her doctor was worried her first was to small (like under 6lbs) her baby was 7lbs and change at birth.

• Options

imagedarlene'smommy:
    Weights can be off on ultrasounds. My sister was told her son was under 7 lbs (it was 6 lbs some ozs but I can't remember) and he was born 2 days later at 8 lbs 5 oz. I know many other people that the babies would weigh this and were off. So they are just guessing on weights. Until you have the baby you won't know weather they will be big or not just from the ultrasound.

Agreed.  My mom's doctor insisted that my sister was AT LEAST 8lb6oz.  She was born a few days later at 6lb4oz.  They can't actually WEIGH them in there - they're making semi-educated guesses.

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• Options
    It really is just a guess.  At my u/s a few days ago the tech estimated that he weighed 15 oz, which is the 60% for how far along I was.  I was surprised then that my OB said she predicts he will weigh about 6 lb. 8 oz. at birth.  I think she's partly basing it on DD's birth weight.  At a very late u/s with her, they estimated that she would be about 7 and a half pounds, but she ended up being 5 lb. 15 oz.  I've heard that the u/s can be off by as much as a pound or a little more either way.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

They can be off.. Usually the earlier is more accurate though. 

The day my son was born, they did an u/s and said he weighed 8lbs 6 oz.. he came out that night at 7pm weighing 9lbs 13oz.. So they were off by quite alot.. LOL

• Options

In the grand picture I don't think its all that accurate....especially later in the pregnany.  At my 17 week U/S - looking at everything in detail because of my abnormal test results - my son is 9 oz and they said he was measuring bigger than average at this stage.  Where this turned out being important is apparently a "soft marker" - one of many - for Downs is a baby measuring small.  So, the fact that he's measuring bigger than average and there were no other soft markers at this point we are looking good....so, I passed on the amnio.  Other than that, I don't think the weight is spot on with what you would expect.

I'm a petite woman and with my first two kids everyone was predicting - including my doctor - that I'd have 6 pound range kids. My OB thought my daughter wouldn't be more than 7 pounds at birth.  Well, I delivered my first two kids at 38 weeks and they were 7 Pounds 11 Ounces & 7 Pounds 13 Ounces....I keep imagining if I went the full 40....they would have been over 8 pounds each no doubt. 

So, the moral is, its kinda a guessing game!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"