Connecticut Babies
Options

MidState Medical Center in Meriden?

Does anyone have anything to say about giving birth at MidState?  It's very close to my house and I assumed I would be giving birth there... however my current OB/GYN would send me to Hartford Hospital, but I don't really want to go there because it's too far and I think it's probably too big.  I'm worried I wouldn't get very much attention or personalized care.  If I decide on MidState, then I'd ALSO have to find a new OB...

Any thoughts? 

Re: MidState Medical Center in Meriden?

• Options
    I am taking my child birthing class there and love it.  My dad has had lots of cancer treatments at midstate and we are thrilled with it.  My OB is at Yale but I'm already convinced next pregnancy I'm switching to midstate.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I delivered at MidState and have nothing but wonderful things to say!  I am a nurse myself and very critical of hospital care and this is top notch. Rooms are private with everything happening in one room from admission, delivery (unless c-section of course) to postpartum.  All of the staff from the physicians to the housekeepers are friendly and attentive.  You can tell everyone there enjoys what they do.  I go to Dr.Fanning in the Helm and Helm practice, who I think is great, however there is always a very long wait in the office to see him for apts.  Over 2 hours at times, which I know is terrible and frusterating especially when you get to weekly apts.  MidState is great for a standard risk pregnancy, however there is no NICU.  Of course they would transport to an outside NICU if needed.  Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageMGB0104:
     MidState is great for a standard risk pregnancy, however there is no NICU.  Of course they would transport to an outside NICU if needed.  Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.

This would concern me. If something happens to your baby, god forbid, you stay and baby goes to Yale or Hartford, ask yourself if you are prepared for that?  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Their statistic's aren't that great, and sometimes that reflects on the type of practice patterns that take place in the hospital...

In 2007 

C-section rate - 30%
    Episiotomy - 17% (should be 5% or less)
    VBAC - 2%

• Options
    I live in Meriden and I'm going to St. Rays. Only reason is because that's where my mother gave birth to me and my 2 brothers. Someone I know had their 3rd child there and has nothing but good things to say.All depends on personal preference.
  • Options
    I am schedules for a c section there this Friday.  I will let you know how my experience goes.  I also go to Helm and Helm, however I refuse to see Dr Fanning as he was probably the rudest doctor I have ever encountered.  I have really liked everyone else in the practice.
  • Options
    A friend of mine delivered there, she had nerve damage which she was told was from pushing for 3 hours..... could have been the epi she got too and no one will own up to it. I pushed for over 4 hours and have no damage at all, I didn't get an epi though. It wasn't permement and she could walk again a few weeks PP. Other than that I know she had a good experience.
  • Options

imageJJ***:
      I also go to Helm and Helm, however I refuse to see Dr Fanning as he was probably the rudest doctor I have ever encountered.  I have really liked everyone else in the practice.

I am sorry you feel this way, I have seen Jamie for 16 years he is the nicest most compassionate doctor I have ever meet. I know a lot of people who see him and not one of them have ever said one bad thing about him!

I love Mid State, like someone  else has already said I have eany friends who have delivered there and they love the personal care that they received

I will be delivering there when that day comes... Congrats to all those expecting :)

• Options
    I gave birth there with my first 5 years ago. I plan on going there again with baby #2. I have absolutely nothing but great things to say about them!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hi, I am too contemplating on Midstate, anyone have great experience there? Although I am worried theres no nicu there. Also obgyn hunt...any recommendations?
  • Options
    I used Helm and Helm and Dr. Fanning also. Love Dr. Fanning but that lady wasn't kidding about the wait! But there's a long wait bc people love him and he'll take the time to answer any questions-even ridiculous ones. One of the Helm twins has a reputation for being an ass on a regular basis, but after my son was born at 29 weeks via emergency c-section at midstate after seeing him for an appt, he called the NICU at UConn to check up on my LO and left messages every few days for me for a long time.

I loved everyone at midstate and also everyone at UConn since my son was transported there and I was transferred the next day.
  • Options
    jcartzjcartz member
    I know this is an old post, but I see it has been revived....

I'm not a fan of Midstate overall based on some past experiences of mine and friends' - I live very close to it, but choose to go to Middlesex (in Middletown) for most of my doctors - including OB. The only time I've gone to Midstate recently is to take my daughter to the ER, and I wish I would have driven the 10 extra minutes to Middletown honestly. Granted I have friends who have delivered there and been happy with it - I just have a bad taste in my mouth for the hospital overall.

I use Harbor park OBGYN (Dr. Byrd & APRN/Midwife Kristin Wiley) and am very happy with them. I also have friends and family that go to Crescent St. OBGYN and love it there. Both are in Middletown right near the hospital. They have a level 2 NICU, so if intubation or anything is needed baby will be transported, but UCONN & Hartford Childrens are both very close and great hospitals.
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

BabyFruit Ticker>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"