2nd Trimester
Options

I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant

2»

Re: I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant

• Options

Has anyone seen the episode where the woman is up eating everything in the house and gaining weight like crazy then stands up from watching tv and her breat are leaking?? Hello what else do you think is happening when your shirt is soaking wet!! Then the show goes on to say that her water broke in the middle of the night and she though she had pee'd on her self and was in pain. I can say for myself if my breast are leaking something crazy and then I "pee" on myself there is only one thing I can be... PREGNANT!!

Miss Addyson Elizabeth will be here in 10 weeks!!

• Options

My mom didn't know she was pregnant for almost 5 months with me. I was her last of 6 and she said she had her period, no fetal movement and no other symptoms. She also had a 18 month old, so maybe that distracted her. With all my other siblings, she knew almost immediately (except for number 4 which she had a dream about around 3 months and took a test) but with me, she didn't know until she went to the doc for what she thought was a cold and was told she was pregnant.

I can happen, and I can understand with some of the stories how they didn't know. Most of those go to the hospital when they are in pain. I think that most of the people on the show are in denial, especially the women that had been told they couldn't have children, they didn't want to get their hopes up.

Just because it didn't happen to you, doesn't mean its impossible.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    That show used to creep me out so much and make me think "where did they find these people?".  LOL.  I used to think: how could they be so clueless?  But I went a few weeks without knowing.  I had 8 negative pregnancy tests and I had what I thought was a period (my doctor later told me that it was "breakthrough bleeding").  So now, I am far less judgemental.  The whole toilet thing is like a theme for that show.  LOL.  :)
  • Options

I think your comments say a lot more about you than they do about the women on that show.  Yes, you are generalizing.  Yes, you are making a heap of assumptions based on a half-hour re-dramatized version of about 9 months' worth of events.  As many others have said, you do not know what made these "ignorant" and "dumb" women not realize that they were pregnant; many of them were going through a variety of other equally plausible things at the same time that made them think that their symptoms were something else entirely- that doesnt' mean that they were "ignorant" or "dumb." 

Why even bring up their economic status or their weight; off the top of my head I can think of several women on that show who fit neither of those categories.  You probably just saw one or two and made a generalization based on those ones. 

• Options

I heard stories like this before in Europe and assume ignorance and poor education is the major factor for the real cases...

Plus, there's a bunch of really stupid gals out there of course...

I removed my contraceptive implant and waited for my periods to come back like the doctor said. She warned me it could take time since I hadn't had my periods for so long (6 years). I had just moved to China, and with the new job/house/food, I didn't pay attention to the nausea and tiredness that had started a few weeks after. To me it was kind of mechanically obvious that I couldn't be pregnant yet since I didn't have my periods, plus I assumed the cramps and other symptoms were due to my body "waking up" after the implant removal.

Nevertheless, as mentioned earlier in this post, there comes a moment where any smart girl will not just continue being sick and not check what's going on. So taking a pee test was the first step (positive) and the ob/gyn visit on the next day confirmed that I had gotten pregnant with the first ovulation within the 2 weeks after the implant removal, and therefore never got my periods. I was 11 weeks pregnant and all was fine.

IF the pee test had turned negative, it's obvious I would have checked with a doctor what else was wrong... 

I can't believe a sane woman can go through a whole pregnancy without either associating the symptoms with a potential pg (and check it) or consult a doctor to check what's wrong...

I might sound provocative here, but I also believe that women who claim they had no or limited symptoms (and could know they were pg) are not listening to their body...if you live with a stable life hygiene, you should be able to notice changes...sorry to be so harsh...

• Options

Some I can believe. A lot of women don't get the nausea/vomiting and being excessively overweight can make it hard to feel the movement. Also, I know what it's like to go for at least 4 months w/out a period and not be pregnant- that's why I take a HPT once a month. I got pregnant after 4 months after may last cycle ended, but I knew exactly when it happened, so go figure. I actually told my husband- the day of believed conception, that I thought I might be pg. I also know that, despite being told you can't get pregnant with PCOS or endometriosis or bi-cornuate uterus (which I have that last 2) it happens, so nothing is %100, and you don't need a medical background to know that.

This show just goes to show how ignorant some people really are.

My favorite is the episode about the woman that already 2 kids and didn't know she was pregnant until her water broke- the only sign she recognized. She was the only that I know of so far that knew she was in labor...

• Options
    I just want to know how they can say that some of the women gained no weight and were actually SKINNY, and be a full term, healthy, normal weight baby? I mean, come on, the fetus has to grow somewhere...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"