3rd Trimester

Name question

Okay so DH and I have picked the name Ellie Renee for our daughter who is due in October. Now our first daughter's name is Natalie Grace so is it bad to have Ellie Renee be not as formal as Natalie Grace? Both DH and I love the name Ellie Renee but just thought about this and friends have brought it up. I want it to be a name she can grow into, not just one that is cute until 1 year you know? It's just hard because we love the name and can't stand any of the names Ellie is derived from so I don't want to put a name on her birth certificate that I don't like just so we can call her Ellie. (I'd rather just put Ellie on her birth certificate) We chose this name together and it means something to us. What do you all think?

Re: Name question

• I think it's fine.  Natalie and Ellie sounds cute...
  • Personally, I'm a not a big fan of giving traditional nicknames as given names--it just looks/sounds unfinished to me, and I think a child should have the option of a more formal name.  We call our daughter Betsy but she will always have the option of going by Elizabeth when she is older (although I don't think she will, she is 100% a Betsy). 

There are so many names that Ellie can be derived from--do you really hate them ALL?  Aside from the obvious names beginning with El, there are a ton of names that end in --elle that you could use. 

BUT--in the end, you should name your child whatever you want, this is all just my opinion!

• Loading the player...
  • I value your opinions-thats why I posted this :)
  • Nothing wrong with just Ellie IMO Big Smile
  • imagescoutkate:

There are so many names that Ellie can be derived from--do you really hate them ALL?  Aside from the obvious names beginning with El, there are a ton of names that end in --elle that you could use. 

BUT--in the end, you should name your child whatever you want, this is all just my opinion!

I agree with scoutkate. After all -- even Natalie has an "ellie" sound in it. I mostly go by Allie, even though I'm in my thirties, but I like that on job applications or in formal situations I can be Allison -- if I were ever to run for office or get published in my field, I'd want it to be as "Allison."

I know sometimes people get really adamant about what nicknames are "allowed"  which is kind of ridiculous -- like I could be Allie but not necessarily Lis or something? I think it's silly. After all, Elizabeths can be Liz or Beth or any one of a dozen other nicknames. There are a lot of lovely names that end in Elle where you could totally call her Ellie if you want.Here are some:

https://www.babynamewizard.com/namipedia/advanced-name-finder/results?end=elle

Danielle, Marielle, Christabel, Noelle....

Which is not to say you should do that. Ellie Renee has a very nice sound, and you should name your kid whatever you want. I just tend to like names that have the possibility of sounding more formal should your child ever desire that for herself. 

Our top girl name has about three "normal" nicknames, but we're going by something different.

• imagescoutkate:

Personally, I'm a not a big fan of giving traditional nicknames as given names--it just looks/sounds unfinished to me, and I think a child should have the option of a more formal name.  We call our daughter Betsy but she will always have the option of going by Elizabeth when she is older (although I don't think she will, she is 100% a Betsy). 

I agree with all of this. I totally understand where you are coming from, though. We really loved the name Callie but hated all of the associated "full" names. In the end, we are still on the search, unfortunately.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I like Ellie, but as a nickname. Personally, I like names that the LOs can "grow" with, if that makes sense. I could see Ellie being a nickname for a different name like Elizabeth, Ella (maybe - very popular these days!) Eleanor, even Elias (typically a boy name.)

But heck, not everyone likes the names I like and I would just go with your gut! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I wouldn't name her something more formal just for the sake of being formal.  What if she doesn't like the nickname "Ellie" and insist that you call her "Eleanor"?  Kids do that sometimes.  Then you're stuck.

If that's the name you like, go with it!

• ITA that you should go with whatever name you really like, and if you don't like any "Ellie" full versions, then go with Ellie.

However, I did note that Ellie and Natalie are awfully similar.  That would be my bigger concern.   It's like you are giving DD#2 the second half of DD#1's name.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"