Birth Stories

My 99% natural birth story

My very long birth story:

0 0 0 ?

0 0 0 I had my baby boy! Ethan Liam arrived on 12 August at 8 pm! He?s 6lbs 5 oz and 20 inches long! He is also completely perfect! And the delivery was 99% natural ? no epidural, no pitocin, no stripping of membranes, no induction methods at all. I did cave and get two doses of fentanyl as I moved from 5-9 cm. Otherwise, it was all me and my baby. 

Ethan arrived after 69 HOURS of labor. I started contracting every 3 minutes on Monday nite at 2300 (when I was exactly 36 weeks). I went in a few hours later because I was spotting and actually soaked a pair of underwear. The birthing center did an NST and Ethan looked fine on the monitor so they sent me home as I was still closed. I continued to contract every 3 minutes around the clock and most of them were like menstrual cramps. Nothing too painful.

Wednesday nite things got a little rougher and then on Thursday morning at 8:30, my water broke. We headed into the birthing center and found out that I was 2 cm. They kept me and I started to walk around and sit on the birthing ball to keep things going. Luckily my body was into it and the contractions got progressively stronger. I used Hypnobabies to try and keep myself calm and I remember that with each contraction I would repeat over and over ?It?s just pressure, it?s not pain.? After a few hours I switched to repeating the phrase ?It has to end sometime? and would just say it over and over during the contractions. Luckily I would have two ?easy? contractions for every ?hard? one. Also, all my pain was in the lower front of my abdomen, over the pubic bone. I did not have back labor at all.

But at 3:30 pm, in the middle of a hard contraction, I suddenly felt a HUGE punch to my pubic bone and that is when I went out of my mind. I flew into the shower but it didn?t seem to help with the pain. Hypnobabies no longer applied. My husband kept telling me that I was doing a great job and I kept saying I was not and I couldn?t take this pain. I was moaning or screaming as loudly as possible through each contraction without caring who heard me. After 30 minutes I insisted that someone check me, as I was hoping this was transition. Unfortunately I was only 5-6 cm. I asked for a received a dose of fentanyl ? which only lasts 15 minutes in the body but you can only get it once an hour. I took two doses, at 4pm and 5pm. At 6 pm I was 9 cm and they said I couldn?t have anymore fentanyl. Mind you, this entire time I was screaming and moaning and seriously hating life. My husband was a real champ though and stuck through it with me the whole way. I kept yelling about how I didn?t want this and asking someone to help me. I did not, however, ask for the epidural because I did have enough presence of mind to know that I wouldn?t be able hold still for it. So there was no point in asking for it out loud.

Then my body started involuntarily pushing and they checked me and I was completely dilated at 6:19. I began to push and it was SO MUCH BETTER than just contracting. I mean, it was hard work and I had to use every bit of strength I had to do it but it was a lot less painful. Luckily my body only contracted every 5 minutes so I could get a break in between. I pushed on hands and knees, on my side, on my back, and using the squat bar. I had a bit of trouble keeping my legs pulled back during this time so I had two people on either leg, helping me. The other struggle was just pushing against his head so hard ? it took everything I had in me to keep the pressure on as I pushed him down. Finally the head popped out and I knew it would just be anterior shoulder, posterior shoulder, and then the midwife told me to grab my baby. I pulled him out myself at 8 pm exactly. I had a 2nd degree tear for my trouble (and a hemorrhoid, yay).

So postpartum, how is it going? Well, I pink puffy heart this donut shaped pillow they gave me to sit on. I take it everywhere I go in the house. With the tear, I have a lot of pressure in the rectal area and sitting/walking/sneezing/coughing can be uncomfortable. Breastfeeding is going well although Ethan has a very strong grip. My milk is already in after 48 hours. I was super glad to get home as I could barely sleep in the birthing center with people coming in and out constantly (I happen to work where I deliver, so everyone wanted to come see the baby). My husband has been a real trooper and wants to do everything and has changed almost every diaper so far. The bleeding has gone down a lot. I am only down like 8 pounds and my feet are swollen. But it?s only been 3 days. My belly circumference is down 3.5 inches.

Anyway, to wrap up I?m glad I went natural but if I had been induced or labored for much longer I can?t say that I would have made it. It was rough but with my husband and my delivery team I was able to do it. And I am absolutely thrilled with my little boy. I can?t believe he?s finally here!

Re: My 99% natural birth story

• What a fabulous birth!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
  • Congratulations! What a great story. Thank you for sharing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Congratulations! He's beautiful :-)
    Momma to four, and we're expecting one more!

• Awww congratulations! He sure is cute! I can't imagine being in labor for so long. You are super mom! Definitely don't stress about weight or belly circumference. You swell up after birth and retain a lot of water. I remember my feet looking like two little balloons and they didn't even do that DURING pregnancy. I also know the feeling of the hemorrhoids and tear. :( (I had the episiotomy thing, though). I laughed when you said you pink puffy heart that pillow! You're adorable. I sure would love that pillow, too. ;) Congrats! Get lots of rest, mama. :) And congrats on breastfeeding! I loved nursing my daughter! That's the best part IMO!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Congratulations! I've been waiting to hear how it went - sounds intense!... I can't imagine pushing for so long after such a long labor- you are awesome!
  • Thanks for sharing this story!  What courage and perserverance you have!  Adorable baby!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"