High-Risk Pregnancy

New With Type 1 Diabetes (long)

I'm 20 years old, and have had type 1 diabetes since I was 9.  This is my first pregnancy and was a surprise for my fiance and I.  15 weeks 3 days pregnant.

I've been reading some posts from GD women, but there seems to be some differences with blood sugars and carb counting and whatnot.

My blood sugars are supposed to be between 60 and 100, under 120 two hours after meals.  I haven't really had too much trouble with that except for once in a while I will have a blood sugar of over 200 for no apparent reason.  And my doctor has banned me from juice so it doesn't spike my blood sugar.

Before I found out I was pregnant (most of my first trimester) my blood sugars were a little higher, A1C of 8.0 so around 170-180s.  I am now terrified of birth defects from that first critical developmental period for organs with high blood sugar.

Now my problem is having low blood sugar sometimes and not being able to feel it.  For the past 11 years, going under 70 was considered sorta low, under 60 low, and below 50 terrible.  I now often have blood sugars in the 50s, which is pretty normal now.  I've had to train myself to ignore the "low feeling" and now, I can be in the 40s, even 30s and feel fine.

So I guess I'm just letting everything out, and asking if there are any other type 1s out there, if anyone had problems with lows, or if anyone else is scared of birth defects from high blood sugar?

Sorry this is so long.

Re: New With Type 1 Diabetes (long)

• Hello!I am a type 1 diabetic.I am 29,I was diagnosed at 14.When I first saw the GD ladies only going like one point over their goals,I was flipping out.I have a hard time even staying under the 120 2 hours after.

My sugars were also crazy during the first trimester-the weeks before I found out were the worst because my insulin resistance had gone up so much and I had no idea why.Now that i know what's going on they are better most of the time,but the docs told me that type 1 is alot harder to control during pregnancy than GD.I have to up my insulin requirements every 2 weeks.

I have the same issues with lows too-I used to get shaky if i was under 80.My fasting goal is 75-95,which I am glad because I would never feel comfortable with my sugar at 60.Usually when I get that low I tend to drop fast after.Since being pregnant,i have a really hard time feeling lows.I just started on the continuous monitoring because I was getting into the 30s,once even the 20s and not feeling it.

The doctors think my baby does have a heart defect called transposition of the great arteries.They said it is more common(which my original docs never told me,how nice)in diabetics regardless of how well they are controlled.They will check for all this stuff though,and you'll have ultrasounds alot.I am scared,but i am doing the best I can do-that's all we can!Be prepared to have to take alot more insulin and go to the doctors alot,but it's doable!I wish you luck!Sorry so long.

Lilypie - (yNYF)

Lilypie - (bSes)

T1 diabetes diagnosed 11/95 due to severe pancreatic injury
    BFP 1 1/22/10 EDD 9/30/10 Adria b. 9/11/10 d.8/9/11, Transposition of the Great Arteries,
    Pleural effusion, Kidney Failure
    BFP 2 4/26/12 EDD 1/3/13 M/C 5/13/12
    BFP 3 10/3/12 EDD 6/17/13 Twins! Preston and Juliet b. 5/22/13

• Oh!And my a1c was 7.9 when i got PG.now that I am on the pump(started it at 19 weeks,rather than continuing the injections)and seeing an endo and pump trainer every month my a1c is 5.6.

Lilypie - (yNYF)

Lilypie - (bSes)

BFP 1 1/22/10 EDD 9/30/10 Adria b. 9/11/10 d.8/9/11, Transposition of the Great Arteries,

• It's so nice to have someone to relate to!  So far I have only raised my insulin a little, and it's been doing good.  I wish my goal was 75 to 90.  Most of my blood sugars are in the 50s and 60s, and it is not comfortable for me.

I never heard of that heart defect!  No one had mentioned that at all, just that the liver/kidneys could be messed up.  But they said that my baby has a good strong heartbeat and the brain looks good so far, so I'm hoping all is well!

I don't know how serious that heart defect is, but I hope your baby is born healthy and doesn't have too many complications!!

Are they going to induce you early?  My doctors say they want to induce me one, maybe two weeks ahead.

• I know, this board is awesome!I was worried I wouldn't have anyone to relate to either.I can't imagine having my numbers in the 50's and 60's-it is uncomfortable for me too.They did tell me that you feel lows less when pregnant because your body is usually at a naturally lower level.

That's awesome that everything is looking good for your baby!Mine everything else looks good and they are not 100% sure he/she has this defect,but at least we'll be prepared-it is a fixable defect so it makes me feel better about it.

They told me I have to have an amnio at 37 weeks to check lung development,and my c-section will be scheduled for the following week.I am sure all docs are different,but mine said they don't like to let diabetics go past 38 weeks.I guess the placenta can degrade sooner in type 1 diabetics,so they like to make sure the baby is still able to get nutrition.

When are you due?

Lilypie - (yNYF)

Lilypie - (bSes)

• Yeah I don't really know any other diabetics, let alone pregnant ones!

That makes me feel a lot better too, at least it is a fixable defect!  I hope he/she doesn't have it anyway though!

I am due January 26.  But since they want me to have it a week or two early, I may go on the 16 so we can share a birthday!

• It's pretty normal to run low in the first tri and a portion of the second.  I remember thinking it was so easy to get my A1c to where it needed to be because of naturally running low.  Just make sure you're checking frequently so you don't get too low, particularly before you drive.  My endo says anything under 70 is low during pregnancy, so I personally think it's a little risky for you to be consistently under that and would not be comfortable doing that myself.

You'll most likely have a Level II ultrasound around 20 weeks and they'll be able to tell you if they have spotted an birth defects or areas of concern.  I really hope that your baby is ok. Many type 1s have perfectly healthy babies even if their A1c was a little high in the first tri. 

I'm delivering on Friday at 39 weeks 4 days.  You'll most likely have your baby a little early, but if you're doing well and there is no cause for concern, they will let you go until your due date.  I know they will not let you go past it though.  PP mentioned premature placental aging that is common in diabetics and one reason we have to deliver early.  There are signs for that (if your insulin needs dramatically decrease in the last few weeks of pregnancy) and it does not happen to everyone.  Just stay in close contact with your endo and call them with questions.

Good luck with the pregnancy!  There are a few of us around, so please ask questions.  We can only share our own experiences, but it's so nice to have a place where you can talk to others.

And you're due on my birthday. :)  Hope you get to share your b-day with your baby.  How fun!

• I don't have too much to add, except are you on an insulin pump?  Being on the pump has helped me dramatically.  I also have had some lows, and my drs told me that is very common in pregnancy. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I Know I'm a bit late to the posting here, but wanted to join in. I see so many GD posts on this board that I tend to only lurk a bit every so often.

I'm also a Type 1, 24 years old, diagnosed 10 years ago. I have a Minimed pump and also the Continuous glucose sensor that goes with it. A1cs were low 7s, high 6s while trying to get pregnant (Endo wanted it under 7) and then 7.8 right when I found out I was pregnant in June (Yikes!). Last month I was 6.6 and this past week it was 6.1 (Yay!!)

I had a TON of lows my 1st tri, and still having more than pre-pregant but over all hitting my targets well. They want me 80-100 and under 120 2 hours after meals. I too have an occasional random over 200 but I send in weekly blood sugars to my Endo. and we are always making adjustments! 

Glad to see others on here, I will be here lurking from time to time and try to join in on these threads! 

DS born 1/23/11
    LO #2 due 8/28/13
    Type 1 Diabetic with Minimed Insulin Pump and CGMS

BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's wonderful to have other people experiencing the same thing! 

I have a minimed pump as well, trying to get the glucose sensor but my insurance doesn't want to cover it :(

Lattelady, looks like we are about the same in how far along we are!

• image KrisRenee:

It's wonderful to have other people experiencing the same thing! 

I have a minimed pump as well, trying to get the glucose sensor but my insurance doesn't want to cover it :(

Lattelady, looks like we are about the same in how far along we are!

I had to appeal my insurance company to get it. I got it before TTC. They denied it but pregnancy was a reason I could get it so I argued that pre-conception and early pregnancy was just as if not more important than being pregnant itself so they approved it. 

I stopped using it for most of my 1st trimester because I was so low all the time and testing about every hour anyway. Now that everything is leveling out I'm wearing it again. Its SUPER beneficial to have!

& yes we are super close in due dates! I'm "due" Jan 29th although my OB and Endo and I are aware it will most likely be between 38-39 weeks.

DS born 1/23/11
    LO #2 due 8/28/13
    Type 1 Diabetic with Minimed Insulin Pump and CGMS

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My A1C at the beginning of my pregnancy was 8.9. It's gotten down to 7.1 now and I'm happy about that. I am/was worried, but there's nothing I can do right now to change it, you know?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for the post.  I'm not pregnant (and never have been) but my DH and I are talking about it more and more so I thought I'd check out this board.  I've been a type 1 for nearly 27 years and thus far have been lucky to have no complications.  (I had some microaneurisms in my eyes--beginning of diabetic retinopathy--but at my last appointment a couple weeks ago he couldn't find any diabetes-related changes at all.  It's common for them to come and then leave with tighter control.)

Anyway, from what I've read, the risk of birth defects tends to go up with A1Cs of 8 and above.  I don't remember the exact stats so you can still have an A1C of 8 and have a perfectly normal baby, but your risk is higher.  To be safe, docs usually try to get you as close to non-diabetic as possible/safe.  (And, the study that I read just grouped women into A1C above 8 and A1C below 8.)

As for transposition of the great vessels, I learned about it in school.  It's where the aorta and pulmonary artery exchanged so the baby will have 2 separate blood circulation systems (i.e. 1 to lungs and heart and then back to lungs and the other to body and then heart and then body) instead of 1 interconnected system (body to heart to lungs to heart to body).  Although there are different types of this and some have more mixing than others.  Anyway, I saw a newborn with this heart condition minutes after birth and I was absolutely amazed as to how well this baby was doing.  He/She was much pinker than I would have thought and active.  (In other words, if I wasn't looking for specific things, I probably wouldn't have noticed that there was a heart problem.)  If you have your baby at a major medical center, the neonatologists and cardiologists will be evaluating the baby seconds after birth.  They can also do some pretty amazing surgeries to correct heart problems now too. And, I met a high school student who had this heart defect and this student is now doing well.  She has to be monitored by a cardiologist but overall seems to have a "normal" life.

• I've been type 1 diabetic since 2000...on the shots and on an insulin pump more than once. Right now, I'm on the Animas Ping and I love it! My a1c has always been around 10% since I was diagnosed. I found out I was pregnant back in May and ever since then, I pushed to fix my sugars and get in better control. My a1c is now 7.4% and my numbers are alot better.

I'm due January 14th, and I've already come across one potential birth defect, which is Down Syndrome. Far as we can tell we're in the clear. My numbers have been running in the 200s alot lately during the day. I get alot of lows too, most of them in the middle of the night...anywhere from the 20s to the 60s. Sometimes I'll feel it, sometimes I won't. I was told to ignore the shakey feeling too and it's hard. My endo told me if I'm normal and feel shakey, just eat protein, like celery and peanut butter or cheese cubes or something.

So far, things are good for us. Healthy baby, healthy heartbeat. My numbers nd my insulin gets tweaked frequently.

I know one other diabetic who had a kid but she's not the brightest crayon in the box and I don't talk to her. It's tough not having anyone to talk to who really understands....that's what I love about this site. :)

I hope things are going well for you and little one!