2nd Trimester

Short Cervix

I'm 21 weeks.  I went to the hospital yesterday for a routine ultrasound to measure my cervix...1.9 cm!  The normal length is 3.5 - 4.  So they sent me to triage and put me on a monitor to make sure I wasn't having contractions.  They checked to see if I was dilating.  No contractions, no dilation.  So they sent me home and told me to consult with my doctor. 

I called my doctor's office today and spoke with the nurse...she said this kind of thing can happen, and that she'll call me when the doctors are in on Monday, to let me know when they want to see me. 

I don't know how worried I should be.  Obviously, this is all a result of the leep procedure I had 6 months ago.  But how do we just sit back and hope for the best?!?!  1.9 is very short...I feel like I should be on more monitoring or something! 

Any experience or advice???

Re: Short Cervix

• Not me personally, but a good friend had this with her last pregnancy & again with her current one.  They basically restricted her activities.  I'd say just keep yourself on a self-imposed semi-bed rest until you can talk to your doc.  It's super early in your pregnancy & better safe & over protective until you talk to your doc. 

Sorry you are having to deal with this.  Sad  T&P 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • They can either give you a cerclage if it isn't too late (a stich in your cervix to keep it closed) or they might put you on bedrest.  It might be too late for the cerclage though.  You might want to check out the high risk pregnancy board, a few women on there have short cervix.

Mom to 3 wonderful girls:
    Eva, born on 1/2/11
    Celia and Lily, born on 5/17/13
  • image Rachiemoo:
    They can either give you a cerclage if it isn't too late (a stich in your cervix to keep it closed) or they might put you on bedrest.  It might be too late for the cerclage though.  You might want to check out the high risk pregnancy board, a few women on there have short cervix.

It shouldn't be too late for a cerclage; most doctors will do them until 23 weeks.  I had mine at 20w with DS.  My cervix measured short at my NT scan with DS and they checked it every two weeks.  It kept getting shorter and eventually started funneling so they placed a rescue cerclage.  I carried DS until my water broke at 35 weeks with modified bed rest and pelvic rest.

For this pregnancy, they placed the cerclage at 13 weeks.  They say I should be able to avoid bed rest and hopefully carry this one to term since they placed it earlier.

I am kind of surprised that your doctors aren't acting with more urgency.  You are measuring pretty short but it is a good sign that you don't have any funneling or dilation.  I'm sure you're fine waiting until Monday, but I would press for more action or monitoring after that.  Good luck!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for all your advice.  I guess b/c I'm not funnelling, dilating, or having contractions, they're not as worried as if one of the above was happening.  BUT I AM! I guess I'll wait till Monday, but if I feel anything funny until then, I'll take my butt to the ER.
  • This happened to my friend and many women who have had procedures on their cervix prior to becoming pregnant.  Bedrest is the best thing you could do for yourself now until you see the doctor!  Good luck on Monday!
  • I had a cerclage placed at 18.5 weeks (previous conization). I am on modified bedrest for the remainder of the pregnancy. They may want to place a cerclage for you, mine was measuring 1.8 with no funneling, contractions etc. The procedure was easy--no worries there. I go and see my Dr every 2 weeks now. My last measurement was 2.1. I would def. take it easy over the weekend until you talk to your Dr on Monday. No lifting, housework, shopping etc.
  • Take it easy until Monday!  There are different ways they can help you - bedrest, progesterone supps, cerclage, etc.  Hopefully they will figure out something that works for you.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers