3rd Trimester

Dialation

Hello.  As I am about 37 weeks and about 2.5 cm dialated, when do the contractions usually start and when is it still safe for me to have medication when I do get to the hospital? This is my 2nd child and the first time, I was too far along (8 cm when I arrived) to be given anything.

Thanks!

Re: Dialation

• Well first of all it's DILATION, and second every body is different when it comes to labor. No one can tell you when you'll start contracting, when your mucous plug will fall out, when or if your water will break on its own, etc.. I was 1cm 80% effaced at 36 weeks and I had DD at 36w 4d, but I had been going through PTL since 25 weeks. I've heard people say here that they were at 3cm or more for weeks. It just depends on your body and baby.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Mikaela is going to have a little brother! BabyFetus Ticker
  • Since you know you are 2.5 cm dilated you obviously have an OB or MW...those are good questions to ask them during your appointment. 
  • Loading the player...
  • imageaudreybee24:
    These would be great questions for your doctor since every hospital has different rules about when to get there and when you can get pain meds.
    And this.
  • Sorry double post
  • I would definitely ask your OB or MW. Not every woman here is a second+ time mom and every woman/pregnancy/birth is different, so I don't think you're asking in the right place. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was told that they will administer an epi sometime between 4-5 cm at my hospital if you ask for it that early.  It takes about a half hour or more from when you ask for it to when you will actually get it.  You will be given a bag of fluids first, then the anesthesiologist will do his thing and you will be catheterized, then you will start to feel the effects.  At least that is what I was told. 
  • you could still have weeks to go. being a second time mom idk how different itll be since im only a first time mom but have been 3cm for weeks now. my hospital doesnt start epi's until 6-7 cm id say call the doc. but also wait for contractions. no contractions no baby yet u may have tons of time
  • imageKelsoXOXO:
    Sorry double post

This has nothing to do with the post, but I love your puppy Kelso!!!

So cute!!

• I just noticed you live in Charlotte... so am I!

• imageAEOW13:

imageKelsoXOXO:
    Sorry double post

This has nothing to do with the post, but I love your puppy Kelso!!!

So cute!!

Thank you! He's a Maltese/Dachsund mix. He looks funny right now because he has a "summer cut" so all his hair is gone haha He looks like the flying dog thing from The Never Ending Story :-P
  • For the record, there is really no danger in giving the epi right up until you push the kiddo out.  With that said, most hospitals will only allow an epi "window."  I've known people who have delivered at places with no epi window and ones who have delivered at places with very narrow ones.

In other words, ask your doctor. 

Contractions have no start date.  There is no "usually"; they start when they start.  I'd say, again, to ask your doctor, but honestly they're not going to be able to tell you anything on this front either.  Sorry.

Married August 23, 2008!

My little angel RIP August 12, 2010 - September 5, 2010

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"