2nd Trimester

bare bumps offensive?

Ive heard some people say that bare bumps are offensive. What exactly is offensive about it? I think its a beautiful thing. anyone offended by it? and why?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic265586_246961185318937_100000151730102_1158719_146641_o

Re: bare bumps offensive?

• NSLNSL
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Love Its
    Not offensive (except likely to those with conservative taste in clothing) but tacky, IMO.  I don't go around showing people my bare stomach when not pregnant, and I'm certainly not going to post pictures all over the Internet of my belly just because I'm showing.  Same rationale for hanging said pictures in my home or having them taken in the first place. 
  • Nope, not to me. But I will be painting my bump like a pumpkin this year, so we'll see how my neighbors see bare bumps...
    CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • I don't find them offensive, but I don't want mine to be bare!  Its more of a preference.  I say, to each their own.  If you want to go bare - do it.
  • image NSL:
    Not offensive (except likely to those with conservative taste in clothing) but tacky, IMO.  I don't go around showing people my bare stomach when not pregnant, and I'm certainly not going to post pictures all over the Internet of my belly just because I'm showing.  Same rationale for hanging said pictures in my home or having them taken in the first place. 

i agree about hanging maternity pic on the wall thats just weird

i think bare bumps are way cute

but what im getting at is why would it be offensive? maybe people are modest or whatever but do they freak out and get offended at people in bathing suits?  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic265586_246961185318937_100000151730102_1158719_146641_o
  • image NSL:

This exactly.

• image NSL:

This.

No need to show it off bare, everyone knows it's what's under my shirt...

Modesty is sexy...

• image lauren_mpenny:

image NSL:

This.

Modesty is sexy...

oh yeah to each their own I would feel comfortable doing it but some people dont and thats fine.....but some people just think if someone does it its gross ( for example the lady on 3rd tri) 

• image NSL:

I see what you're saying, but it works in reverse too.

I wear a bikini swimming when I'm not pregnant, so why should I wear a 1 piece now that I'm pregnant ??
    I know this isn't what you're saying specifically, but I just don't see why some people see bare bellies as taboo...

Lord knows I wouldn't show mine off anymore if I had stretchmarks that looked like a Canadian roadmap though!! lol
  • image PreggoMissy:
    image NSL:

I see what you're saying, but it works in reverse too.

I wear a bikini swimming when I'm not pregnant, so why should I wear a 1 piece now that I'm pregnant ??
    I know this isn't what you're saying specifically, but I just don't see why some people see bare bellies as taboo...

Lord knows I wouldn't show mine off anymore if I had stretchmarks that looked like a Canadian roadmap though!! lol

that is exactly how I feel about it 

• image BabyyMamma:
    image lauren_mpenny:

image NSL:

This.

Modesty is sexy...

oh yeah to each their own I would feel comfortable doing it but some people dont and thats fine.....but some people just think if someone does it its gross ( for example the lady on 3rd tri

I saw that. I feel bad for that girl. She went against the grain & posted a bare bump pic & was teased about it.
    Nothing wrong with a bare bump & good for her ! However!! While showing a bare bump it should be kept in mind that it may not be received how you think it might, no matter where you want to show it off.
  • I never had a problem with bare bumps until I saw a pregnant teenage girl at the mall, wearing cut off shorts and a teeny tube top ... had to be 3rd tri.

There's a time and place for everything.  I wouldn't have found anything wrong with that at the beach.

• image BluEyedGrrl:

I never had a problem with bare bumps until I saw a pregnant teenage girl at the mall, wearing cut off shorts and a teeny tube top ... had to be 3rd tri.

There's a time and place for everything.  I wouldn't have found anything wrong with that at the beach.

teenage girls in tube tops always bother me haha I always think...."my mom would have killed me!" who lets their little girl walk out of the house like that i see 12 year olds walking around with what looks like t-shirts and no pants!  

• I don't think they're offensive, but it's not something I would show off personally. I don't bare my tummy when not pregnant (totally a tankini girl!) and don't plan to start now that it's getting bigger! That said, people who feel comfortable showing theirs off don't bother me at all.   
    BabyFetus Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image BluEyedGrrl:

I never had a problem with bare bumps until I saw a pregnant teenage girl at the mall, wearing cut off shorts and a teeny tube top ... had to be 3rd tri.

Indifferent that's not okay
  • I agree that they're a beautiful thing and that I wear a bikini when I'm not pregnant so why should I be ashamed that I am? I will be all up in my student rec center swimming pool in my bikini come fall semester.

But I will admit... some girls look really cute with their baby bumps... some girls are just plain gross. But normally those are gross to me because the mom was gross to me pre-pregnancy.

I hope that makes sense? haha

image image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    College Mom
  • Offensive? no, but some are cuter than others.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • yeah I don't find them offensive either.  However, it is not something that I would share on TB.  I'll keep my tank down.

G 1.6.2011
    H 7.31.2012
    Soon to be outnumbered!  #3 due 11/4/2014 
  • different strokes for different folks!  I think bumps are super cute.  I am 17 weeks & I have a bump now & I wear a bikini.  I think that wearing a bikini is one thing but when you wear a tube top or some shirt that you can see the belly when your at the mall is totally different.  I will probably take some maternity pics with my bare belly (since my mother-in-law is a photographer & loves those pics).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It doesn't bother me. I'd much rather see a pregnant woman's taut cute belly than some of the bare muffin tops the teens sport these days.
  • Pregnant or not, it's nms. If you're going bare belly, you should do it when your belly is cute. After 35 weeks, I don't think many people's bellies are cute. No matter what you looked like pre-pregnancy (obviously, there are excpetions).

IMO, you should just cover it up! I love that maternity clothes are wandering away from the empire waist and tent like fit. They are a bit tighter and actually show the form of a pregnant woman's belly. That's a much more modest way to show off the belly!

• I don't find them offensive, but do consider them tacky - NMS at all.  One of my biggest pet peeves is PG women stuffing themselves in their normal swimsuits/bikinis - I don't care how much weight you have/have not gained, your body changes and they look ridiculous.
  • I don't think they're offensive or tacky, given the proper time and place.  At the beach or pool?  No problem.  Out in public?  Not so much.  And I have no problem with pictures being taken or displayed in one's home, or even posted online on a blog or other personal space.  As long as common sense is used (which, sadly, we know is lacking all too often...)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't think they're offensive, but sometimes baring them in a certain way is tacky. More, that the outfit is tacky. I was at the hospital yesterday. There was a girl there (she may have been in her early 20s, but to me that's still a girl) with a good portion of her belly showing. She was wearing maybe a size 3 or 5 just butt-cheek-covering jean shorts obviously from pre-preg, and a shirt that was no doubt NOT a maternity shirt, since it wouldn't have reached the top of "normal" pants. I'd say there was easily 4 inches of bare skin showing between the bottom of her shirt an the top of her non-existant shorts. Definitely tacky. All I kept thinking was "and her mom let her out of the house wearing something like that?!"

But maybe that's just my mom mentality kicking in since I have kids of my own.

• I don't see why people think they are tacky. Bare bellies are beautiful! Now I wouldnt post them on facebook, but why wouldnt you post them on the bump. We do and say things here that you wouldn't normally (pre-pregnancy) anyways. Now I do think there is a time and place for them! Not at the mall, no matter how old you are. I wore a bikini pre pregnancy and I am still wearing one now. I am definately not ashamed of my body before and espessially not now!

I think if you want to post your bare belly picture then go for it!

• I don't think it's offensive- I just don't see the point in it. And you really can't compare it to wearing a bathing suit- because at least when you wear a bathing suit you're generally wearing it in context. (IE Swimming, sunbathing, etc). 

We're a bunch of strangers- why do we care what anyone's bare stomach looks like? It looks the same with a fitted shirt over it if you just want to AW your bump. I guess it just fits into the tacky category for me. 

AND, the girl on 3rd tri wasn't made fun of strictly for the bare belly. It was a hyper-cheesy picture. I'm sorry, but maternity pics like that make me point and laugh. If you post pictures of yourself on here, people are going to make comments and they might be comments you don't like. If you only want to hear good things about your pics- stick to showing them to your friends and family. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image NSL:

This.

photo 6aecdc21-d010-4990-8b8b-da468f75ece3_zps38a4dec0.jpgphoto 8c7926e4-3191-4d9f-8e13-2ba2d4b7296f_zps45188ab0.jpg
              Connor - 12/15/10                                     Abby - EDD 11/29/13
    Lilypie - (bLG7)
  • I'm with everyone who thinks bare bumps are appropriate 1. at the beach (if you could wear a bikini pre-pg), or 2. on The Bump.  Some women like comparing bellies, even bare ones.  If you can't feel comfortable showing your bare pregnant belly on a pregnancy message board, where else can you? 

I personally will not show anyone my bare belly unless it's flat, but for those of you with cute bumps, more power to you!

And yes, I agree with PP.  In the case of maternity shots, the bare bellies are not the issue really--it's more the cheese factor of some of them.

IAmPregnant Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• image NSL:

I don't find them offensive. Just not for me.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I honestly see nothing wrong with it. But to each their own.
  • image JulietL129:

I don't think it's offensive- I just don't see the point in it. And you really can't compare it to wearing a bathing suit- because at least when you wear a bathing suit you're generally wearing it in context. (IE Swimming, sunbathing, etc). 

We're a bunch of strangers- why do we care what anyone's bare stomach looks like? It looks the same with a fitted shirt over it if you just want to AW your bump. I guess it just fits into the tacky category for me. 

Isn't that the point of TB ? That we are all strangers and can post and say things on here that we might not be able to show or say to other people?
    Okay No, some people on here might not CARE about seeing anyones bare belly, or might not care that someone has heartburn, cramps, an upcoming U/S, if your hormonal, or are getting stretchmarks...
    But I'd like to think that strangers or not, the INTEREST&concern in how each other is doing is present, and it's nice having a place to go to relate to others with minimal fear of judgment.
    Even if someone posts something that they KNOW no one else here will care about, TB is a nice outlet for people just to vent sometimes too.
    Just sayin' . Smile