Babies: 0 - 3 Months

What does your MIL do to piss you off that probably shouldn't..

What does your MIL/mother do to really irritate you that probably shouldn't. 

I can't stand the language my MIL uses to talk about DD.  She says that she "regurgitated" and that she "expelled gas" and had a "bowel movement" so she had to "change her pants."  Who the hell are you?  Pretentious.  blah.  This probably wouldn't irritate anyone else, but it bothers the hell out of me.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What does your MIL do to piss you off that probably shouldn't..

• 1ht

She wants to see DD ALL.the.time.  DH talks to her daily and she always says she wants to see "her" baby, even if she just saw her the day before.  soooo obnoxious.

• Loading the player...
  • imageshortms620:

1ht

She wants to see DD ALL.the.time.  DH talks to her daily and she always says she wants to see "her" baby, even if she just saw her the day before.  soooo obnoxious.

This!!! At least I'm not the only one!

• imagelac9483:
    She breathes.

I almost just choked on my water when I read this! Too funny!

• My inlaws want to see the baby everyday and feel they are entitled to just stop by whenever. They call just about everyday and constantly ask me to leave him with them and "just go do something" so they can watch him without me there! I get so annoyed. Something my MIL does that annoys me and probably shouldn't is that when my LO farts she says "oh he poofered again" and I get so annoyed. Stupid I know but just call it a fart!!

• imageErinKD:
    imageshortms620:

1ht

i keep telling DH he needs to tell her that if she wants to see her everyday, she can babysit rather than us taking her to daycare.  dh is too chicken to say it.

• 2 things...

1. talks to dd in super duper baby talk its really annoying

2. asks me the dumbest questions which im pretty sure are to test me... questions like, "so do you ever put the carseat in the front seat?" give me a break!

• imageshortms620:
    imageErinKD:
    imageshortms620:

1ht

i keep telling DH he needs to tell her that if she wants to see her everyday, she can babysit rather than us taking her to daycare.  dh is too chicken to say it.

I'm nervous because she will be watching DD...all the more reason to call DD "her baby". The whole "her baby" thing just really, really irritates me. She is NOT YOUR BABY!!

• imagelac9483:
    She breathes.

Oh my! I can't stop laughing!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • My MIL tells me how to calm him when he's fussy.  So irritating...I think I know my own child thank you!  I just want to ask her, "Well, since you are such an expert why don't you come on over at 3am when he is fussy?'
  • She judges how we parent, she constantly asks if he is sleepin in his crib yet because she feels he should have been in it a long time ago, i always bite my lip and dont say anything since dh isnt around much, but next time i plan on saying something.  She isnt going to like how we raise ds cuz we're not going to do it her way.

1ht

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagelac9483:
    She breathes.

We must have the same MIL!

Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • My MIL assumes every little peep DD makes means she is hungry.  I am so tired of hearing "she's probably hungry."
  • When my MIL comes over to see my DS he is usually sleeping for part of her visit- he is 2 weeks old, he is allowed to sleep most of the day.  She insists on trying to wake him up so she can see his eyes! Let my poor child sleep because when he starts screaming you are just going to hand him off to me and he was happy before you started poking him!
  • I sometimes think she tries to play with DS TOO much. She's always putting toys in his face and squeeling at him and stuff. He's really still too little to focus on toys and I just think she overstimulates him sometimes.

And I mentioned in the post below that she also 'does' without asking, and it irks me. I probably should be grateful that she tries to fix the problem without bugging me and gives me a break, which is probably exactly what she is trying to do, but I sometimes interpret it as she thinks she can take care of the baby better than I can.

image > Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelac9483:
    She breathes.

Could not have said it better myself!!!

EVERYTHING MIL does annoys me... period.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers M: 31 DH: 34 Dx: PCOS, Endo, Uterine Septum Ovarian Wedge Resection - May 2009 BFP #1 - October 2009 = DS BFP #2 - June 2011 = DD (Total Surprise!) Tree nut allergy in DS diagnosed 4/2012. Currently working with EI for SPD and possible ASD.
  • imagelac9483:
    She breathes.

I 100% agree with this for my MIL.

As for my own mom, she refers to both of her grandchildren as "my baby".  Ew.  No, my sisters and I were your babies.  These babies are OUR babies. Stop it.

Also, DS is just getting over an eye/ear infection and her immediate response to the news that he had this mild, not-even-bothering-him infection was "oh my god! how to babies that young even get infections like that?! did you get medicine? did you tell the doctor you have cats!? I bet it was the cats' fault!"

WTF. STFU. You had your turn to raise kids. Jeez.

Batman likes to watch cartoons on the weekends. Whatever.

"I'll gladly take cold sores over eye herpes" -ElieFin
    "Unicorn glitter gives me UTIs." -Leila'sMommy
  • I'll preface this by saying that I really do love my in-laws; they're good people and good grandparents.  But I have to constantly remind my MIL not to hold my daughter the entire time she sees her.  a)  It gets the baby a little too warm, b) the constant cuddling means she sleeps for way to long during the day, and then she isn't tired come her bedtime.  And she's constantly bringing a gift for Harper everytime she sees her (about every other week) -- it's really generous, but I absolutely don't want to set a precedent for our kid that a visit with her grandparents automatically entitles her to a new toy.  I don't want her to be too spoiled (plus, it would be nice to have some say in which toys she receives)!!

So basically, I'm irrationally irate about how much my kid is loved :-P 

• Where to begin...

1. She uses super baby talk with him (gag!)

2. She thinks that as soon as she comes over I have to immediately hand him to her because that is apparently what people do.

3. She is always asking him if he has "burpies", but with how she talks it sounds like "Herpes"!!

4. She thinks there is immediate danger whenever DS makes the slightest noise & starts freaking out that something is wrong.

Oh, and the icing on the cake is that last night I found out that she hates me and wishes DH had never married me, but of course told him instead of coming to me to discuss why she despises me so! Hooray for ILs!!!

• imagelac9483:
    She breathes.

LOL Exactly!

• my MIL also calls DS "my baby" but that does not annoy me. i even joked with her saying that DH is her baby and now when i got my own, I can return DH to her:) LOL

But I believe that we get annoyed at things we shouldn't get annoyed at because of past hurt and annoyance caused by MIL before baby was born.

• There isn't enough space here to describe my MIL's behavior, so I'll just give two examples.

My MIL lives in another country (lucky me!) and we are taking DS to visit next month. While there we are going to have him baptized at the family church. My MIL's response? "Oh I'm so glad to hear that. I was worried you wouldn't baptize him so I was going to take him myself and have it done when DS and I have some alone time." As in, without telling us. NICE! I found that offensive on so many levels.

She also asked if it would be okay for her to take baths with DS while we are visiting, or would I find that "weird". Ummm, yes I would find that weird. My SIL also told me to keep an eye on DS while we are back, because she is worried my MIL will try and breastfeed DS if left alone with him. Creepy, creepy. Oh so creepy.

• 1. She writes a daily email to DS that I'm supposed to read to him every day. She always includes passive aggressive stuff in there like asking when she is going to see him again or if she can visit him. I'm horrible for never sharing these emails with him.

2. She is a major baby hog. Whenever she comes to visit, she holds him the whole time and only gives him up when I have to nurse him.

• lac9483, that was absolutelt hilarious and I'm so glad you said it before I did. Also, shirls, holy cow, a daily e-mail? That's insane.

Here's my list, and it's a bit long since if you've seen any of my other posts, it's a bit obvious MIL and I don't get along.

1) She also calls her "her baby", which I think is completely inacceptable.  It got so far that she wanted to be called "ma mere" rather than grandma, which translates into my mother. Uh, no!

2) She never talks to the baby, she always whispers to her, low enough that nobody can hear, and I know DD doesn't understand but I still don't want there to be a chance that she's listening to mean things being said about me.

3) She makes a huge deal every time we see her that she doesn't have as many pictures with the baby as other people.  The only person in more pictures with DD than her is me, and that may be passed now.

4) She never uses DD's name.  When it's not "my baby" it's "my granddaughter".  Her name is Peyton woman!

Wow, I really needed this board tonight.  Thank you ladies!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"