February 2011 Moms
Options

Weird Question - Possibly a teeny bit TMI

I am one of the lucky ones (if lucky is the word), that has the gassiness, but more in a belching sense. But for the past two mid-mornings to early evenings I have been belching and having this fishy taste. Kind of a little gross. I am taking DHA supplements. Is the fishy taste from them (if they are made from fish oil)? The only reason I am questioning it, is that I have been taking these daily since early June and just started getting the taste. Is anyone else getting this weird taste? Just want to make sure the vitamin is what it is. Yesterday it weirded me out.

Re: Weird Question - Possibly a teeny bit TMI

• Options

Yes, that's why.  You can get the kind that says "no fishy burps" on the label, I get Nature Made.  That really makes a difference.

I'm burping SO much too.  And the worst part is that I get no warning.  I don't realize it's going to happen until it starts and they are so big and loud.  It hasn't happened in public situation yet, but I know it will at some point.  I guess it's better then uncontrollable farting.

dx PCOS on Metformin
    LO#1 - 19 cycles, 3 IUIs, 1 m/c, gonal-f, ganirelix, ovidrel, progesterone
    Totally worth the wait!
    Getting ready for #2
    Back on Met, PCOS diet, prepping for treatments 1/12

Good luck to the wonderful ladies of 3T
    Always cheering on my girls Gymnst1013 & MrsJohns
    My Chart / Info for Newbies
  • Options
    imageRileyGrace:

Yes, that's why.  You can get the kind that says "no fishy burps" on the label, I get Nature Made.  That really makes a difference.

I'm burping SO much too.  And the worst part is that I get no warning.  I don't realize it's going to happen until it starts and they are so big and loud.  It hasn't happened in public situation yet, but I know it will at some point.  I guess it's better then uncontrollable farting.

Thanks! My DHA supplement comes with my prenatal. But if the fishy taste gets more than I can bare, I will definitely try the no fishy burps. Thanks for the suggestion!! 

And what I bolded is exactly why I said I am one of the lucky ones! I would hate to be constantly farting! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

my doctor told me that the only way to get DHA is from fish oil. my prenatals don't have DHA in them. my doc told me not to take fish oil b/c of the possibility of mercury, etc.... but i'm still taking it several times a week. not everyday.... the other days i take flaxseed oil...my uncle, who is a chiro, said that the best & cleanest brand for fish oil is Carlson's...so that's what i'm taking--but just one pill and not every day...

no fishy burps for me, but i'm still burping like crazy. and not to give you tmi, but i often burp w/ a little barf or acid coming up....it's disgusting.

• Options
    Yes it's from the vitamins. Mine are "No fish burps" but for some reason yesterday I had fish burps for the first time since I switched brands and it was NASTY! Thankfully today it hasn't happened! 
  • Options
    imagepatiencesarah:

my doctor told me that the only way to get DHA is from fish oil. my prenatals don't have DHA in them. my doc told me not to take fish oil b/c of the possibility of mercury, etc.... but i'm still taking it several times a week. not everyday.... the other days i take flaxseed oil...my uncle, who is a chiro, said that the best & cleanest brand for fish oil is Carlson's...so that's what i'm taking--but just one pill and not every day...

no fishy burps for me, but i'm still burping like crazy. and not to give you tmi, but i often burp w/ a little barf or acid coming up....it's disgusting.

Flaxseed oil is NOT safe during pregnancy, it can cause miscarriage.  Make sure you've spoken with your Dr about taking that supplement.  It can cause bleeding that could lead to miscarriage.

Fish oil is the safest way to consume DHA during pregnancy. 

dx PCOS on Metformin
    LO#1 - 19 cycles, 3 IUIs, 1 m/c, gonal-f, ganirelix, ovidrel, progesterone
    Totally worth the wait!
    Getting ready for #2
    Back on Met, PCOS diet, prepping for treatments 1/12

Good luck to the wonderful ladies of 3T
    Always cheering on my girls Gymnst1013 & MrsJohns
    My Chart / Info for Newbies
  • Options

Generally you don't have to worry about mercury in fish oil pills (a: because many common brands are filtered, including Nature's Made and b: because the oil is derived from very small fish at the bottom of the food chain where mercury contamination is much lower), so I think most docs say that the benefits to you and your baby far far far outweigh the risks.  It should say on the label whether the brand is filtered or not. 

I have tried several different brands of vitamins, including prenatals with the DHA included, and those give me the worst fish burps ever.  So gross.  I've found that a regular prenatal and then Nature's Made fish oil pills (but always take after or while you are eating something) help make the burps less disgusting.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the great info everyone! Of course in my dumb brain I thought "Let me drink a coca cola, so then I will have coke burps instead of fish!" Not so, I had more burps... Coke mixed with Fish! Ugh Lol! Dummy me :)
  • Options

imageGrahamSchneider:
    Thanks for the great info everyone! Of course in my dumb brain I thought "Let me drink a coca cola, so then I will have coke burps instead of fish!" Not so, I had more burps... Coke mixed with Fish! Ugh Lol! Dummy me :)

Ewe!

I take the one-a-days with DHA.  I take them at night right before bed.  Helps with nausea and no fish burps...that I know of.

BFP #1 - 2/5/2010 - c/p 2/9/2010, BFP #2 - 6/20/2010 - DD Born 2/26/2011, BFP #3 - 9/13/2012 - c/p 9/20/2012, BFP #4 - 11/11/2012 - betas: 53 on 11/13, 115 on 11/15, 8069 on 11/26 - u/s shows 127 bpm! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagebunnie712:

imageGrahamSchneider:

Ewe!

I take the one-a-days with DHA.  I take them at night right before bed.  Helps with nausea and no fish burps...that I know of.

That's exactly what I take except the target brand (I used to do one-a-days but the boxes and ingredients read exactly the same and the target brand was 5 dollars less a box).. maybe I should start taking them at night. That will probably help.

• Options
    I would get a higher quality (probably more expensive) DHA, a lot of times you get that fishy taste cause of poor quality fish oil.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

This is from Mayo clinic:

Pregnancy and Breastfeeding

The use of flaxseed or flaxseed oil during pregnancy and breastfeeding is not recommended. Animal studies show possible harmful effects, and there is little information in humans. Flaxseed may stimulate menstruation or have other hormonal effects and could be harmful to pregnancy.

Riley--thanks for the info. I had no idea about flaxseed oil during pregnancy. Thank goodness I haven't been taking that much. How did you hear about this? I'm sticking with the fish oil only now....

• Options
    imagepatiencesarah:

This is from Mayo clinic:

Pregnancy and Breastfeeding

Theuse of flaxseed or flaxseed oil during pregnancy and breastfeeding isnot recommended. Animal studies show possible harmful effects, andthere is little information in humans. Flaxseed may stimulatemenstruation or have other hormonal effects and could be harmful topregnancy.

Riley--thanks for the info. I had no idea about flaxseed oil during pregnancy. Thank goodness I haven't been taking that much. How did you hear about this? I'm sticking with the fish oil only now....

What's weird about this, is that you are not the first person to recommend eating flaxseed or taking flaxseed oil to me. I never did it because, well.. I don't know why, I just didn't. So that definitely was good info, Riley. Thanks. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"