Extremely long and detailed ...I wanted to make sure I wrote everything down so I remembered it. Also Steve is DH.
My EDD was Monday, July 19thand we always assumed I would make it to at least that. (both of ourboys were 8 days late) On Thursday, May 27th I got aphone call from my dr wanting to discuss the results of my growthu/s. I had been measuring about 3 weeks ahead. Thought it was alittle weird to be getting a call from my dr and not her nurse. Sheinformed me that I had Vasa Previa and that I would have to have anc-section around 39 weeks and that she scheduled me an appt with aperinatologist for the follow Thursday. She then asked if I had anyquestions. At the time I had none....I had no clue what Vasa Previawas. After doing a little google research I had a load of questions. Our biggest concern was that from everything I had researched onlineit stated that you should delivery via c-section between 34-35 weeksfor the best chance of the baby to survive. So I called her back andshe answered all my questions to the best of her knowledge and thenthe wait tell next Thursday began. That was probably the longestweek of our lives. At that appt we met Dr.Houseburg and after aftera very detailed u/s that included some awesome 3D images of ourlittle one we were told that we did NOT have Vasa Previa and I shouldbe able to have a completely natural full-term birth. Best newsever!
On Monday the 12th I woke upin the morning feeling a little crampy (I have never had BH or anysort of contractions before labor with either of my previouspregnancies). They came and went for the next couple of hours andthen tampered off. Tuesday I felt fine pretty much all day. Wednesday morning also woke up feeling fine. Then on the car ride toour drs appt I started feeling a lot of pressure. Getting out of thevan and walking in to the office was a bit of a struggle. On the wayto the appt Steve guessed that I would be at a 3, stating that hethinks Monday morning probably got things started. I didn't think Iwould have any progress from last week were I was at a 1. Well Stevewas right, I was 3cm.
That night I had my soon to be SILs(Kaylee) bachelorette party. Steve was a little worried about megoing. He had previously texted both my SILs telling them to watchme and that I wouldn't tell them if anything was going on. He wasright...I was having contractions off and on that night. I made itthrough a good chunk of the party before I had to have him come pickme up. I went home and went to bed.
The next morning, Thursday, July 15th,I woke up again feeling really crampy. So I once again let Steveknow that I was filling off but since we both still assumed that babywould be late like its brothers he went off to work. We are inconstant contact through out the day, through IM, so I kept lettinghim know that my contractions were still coming. I tried laying onthe couch watching GH, I tried laying in the bed while Cole played onthe computer which ended up turing in to the boys jumping on the bedwhile I was having contractions. Which was not working for me. Soafter talking we decided I would call my mom and see if she couldpick them boys up so I could rest and we could stop by home on hislunch break. By the time I got a hold of my parents to come get theboys I had found an app to start timing my contractions and they wereabout 45 secs long and 10mins apart. So I told Steve and he said hewas coming home. By the time he got home, a little after 11, theywere about 5mins apart and still 45 secs long. So I called the droffice to let them know what was going on and the nurse told me tohead on over to the hospital. We still had to pack our hospital bagso we did that and headed on over.
We got to the hospital around noon andwent straight to triage the nurse checked me and said I was a reallystretch 7 and that we were having a baby today. That is the mostsurreal thing to hear. With both of the boys were knew we werehaving them that day. So this time I was a little nervous to get tothe hospital and find out I was still at a 3 or that I wasn't reallyhaving contractions. She asked what I planned on for pain managementand I told her I didn't plan on getting any type of meds. I wentahead and let them put a heplock in just incase...after the wholeVasa Previa scare I wanted to be ready for an emergency. (a week andhalf later my arm is still bruised from the heplock I had in forabout 5hrs!) She left to call my dr and we waited while they got myroom ready. Steve ran to the car to grab the camera and called ourparents to let them know I was getting admitted. Before they goteven got me in a labor and delivery room my dr had shown up and thenthey moved my down to my room.
Once situated in the room my dr askedif she could break my water. I agreed but made sure she knew that Iwas very nervous about that. (that is when babies with Vasa Previausually pass away) She reassured me that if I had it she wouldn't beable to feel the babies head. So we went ahead, fluid was clear andwe were good to go. She checked me and said I was an 8. The L&Dnurse also asked what I planned on for pain management and I told herthe same thing I told the triage nurse that I didn't want any meds. Her response was perfect she said, 'That is the way I did it, you cando it' and no one brought up meds the rest of the time. Shortlyafter that my MIL showed up unannounced and walked right in to theroom. Steve quickly told her to go to the waiting room and then wentand told her to go home and we would call her once the baby hadarrived. It is very well known in our families that we don't wantanyone there during the labor and delivery.
Around this time is when the timesstart getting a little fuzzy. The contractions got harder andextremely close together. They told me to let them know when I feltlike I needed to push and right around 8-9cm is when thathappened..same thing happened with Gavin. So I told them my drchecked me once said I was at 9, 100% and -1 the nurse checked awhilelater said I was at 8, 100%, and -1. A little discouraging. I ampretty sure I was in transition at this time. I really tried toconcentrate on relaxing and visualizing the baby dropping, keeping myeyes closed through most of the labor really helped me to focus. Myfavorite or most comfortable way to labor is sitting straight up onthe bed with my legs out in front of me. They wanted to see if wecould speed things along by me laying on my side. Ugg veryuncomfortable. I laid on both sides for awhile the nurse and Stevetook turns pushing on my back, depending on what side I was layingon. I told them a few more times I felt the urge to push and I wasstill at 9cm. Then all of the sudden I felt it for sure...there wasno doubt in my mind the baby was coming right then. I told the nurse'I feel the head' and her response was we will check you in anothercontraction or two. So I reiterated a few more times, 'No, the headis coming out now.' (I guess at this time Steve was pretty angry atthe nurse....he knows that from the boys labors that I delivery veryquickly) At that time I was laying on my side and she lifted up myleg and that is when everything got a little hectic. Luckily my drhappened to be right outside my door the nurse quickly got her inthere and they helped me roll back over on to my back. They weretelling me to not push but I was not pushing at that time, my bodywas just doing it's own thing. After the dr got her gloves on shehad me grab my leg and I pushed one time before Steve told me 'It's aboy' They didn't have time to break down the bed, my dr only hadtime to get her gloves on, and the baby nurses were not yet in theroom, they weren't even sure what time he we was born at until theylooked at the monitors to see when he went off them. So littleParker Jonathan made his way in to the world at 3:11pm, he weighed8lbs 3.9o, and was 20.5 inches long. They let me hold him for aslong as I wanted which was amazing I don't really remember getting tohold the boys for very long. So far he's done great he took to bfing way quicker then the boys did and he sleeps pretty good. The boys can not get enough of him.