Stay at Home Moms

anyone teach preschool

or know of a program to follow. i was just gonna wing it with my little one and start teaching her the basics and now a friend has offered to pay me to teach hers to so i thought i better look into something. thanks!
Baby #3 on its way!BabyFruit Ticker

Re: anyone teach preschool

• Check out KUMON
  • What are the ages?  When my son turned 4 we started doing the alphabet (knowing what the letter was, the sound it makes, how to write it), numbers (knowing what the number was, how to write it), colors (knowing what the color was, things that are that color), shapes (knowing what the shape was, things that are that shape), Bible stories (character and coloring sheet/craft to go along with the story about that character), and some other random things (connect the dots, mazes, etc).  I had just picked up some workbooks and copied what I wanted out of them.  It wasn't that expensive and he has learned more than most that age.

Now that he is one year shy of kindergarten, I ordered a real curriculum to do with him from Sonlight.  We are doing the P4 CORE (reading and learning a lot about the world around us), Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading (we are going to expand on what he has learned and hopefully learn some basic reading skills), Handwriting Without Tears K (we are going to expand on what he has learned and hopefully improve his handwriting), and Horizons Math K (we are going to expand on what he has learned and hopefully learn some basic math skills, more about size, shape, color, and hopefully learn about time and money). 

We will see how he does.  The great thing is we are going at his pace which is why I am going to homeschool anyways (well that and a few other reasons).

• Loading the player...
  • I'm a (former) preschool teacher.

What are the ages you'll be working with, and what are your objectives for them?  Are you just wanting to expose them to some structure, or fun subjects, or are you wanting to prepare them for school?  Are you going to take an "unschooling" approach, or more of a traditional approach?

DS is 2 1/2 and we have a few different workbooks we use, in addition to doing crafts, and fine motor activities.  If I was working with another child and him, especially if they're over 3, I would personally make a loose curriculum for theme, using themes.  I've found at that age it really encourages and excites them.  You can incorporate letters, numbers, sight words, science, music, etc. into a theme.

If you are strictly wanting to prep them for kindergarten, something like Abeka would be good.  I never cared for it as a classroom curriculum, but it's good for working at home and getting a child ready for school.

Lakeshore has a lot of good stuff for parents, and there are a ton of resources on line.  HTH! 

• :) Just saying hi! I'm from Idaho, too!

It would help if I knew the ages of the kids.  I think you're approach and expectations should and will be different with a 2 year old than a 4 year old.  

Some of my favorite websites are:

notimeforflashcards.com

countingcoconuts.blogspot.com

1plus1plus1equals1.blogspot.com

There are several others I look at, but these are the ones I know off the top of my head. GL! 

• thanks ladies. should have specified age. 3 year olds :) good websites thank you
    Baby #3 on its way!BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"