Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Random NBR question - can you microwave styrofoam?

I mean, of course you CAN, but is it safe?

A few weeks ago, my husband started to reheat his leftovers and I freaked out because he put the to-go box in the microwave. My attitude was like this: 

OMG! What is WRONG with you?!? You can't microwave styrofoam! It releases toxins into your food and you DIE! Everyone knows this! 

And his attitude was like this: 

OMG! You're a moron! Of COURSE you can microwave styrofoam! That's why they make to-go containers from it! 

So who's right? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Random NBR question - can you microwave styrofoam?

• honestly, I never even knew (or thought) that microwaving those released any sort of toxins. I've been doing it for years and I'm still alive Wink I was informed of that this past year.

although I do put a paper towel or napkin down on my styro plate now before I microwave something on it, unless I'm in a rush.

• They make to-go containers from it because it holds heat well, same reason people use styrofoam cups for hot beverages.  NOT because it is microwavable.  Styrofoam will melt.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • sgrlsgrl member
    Oh, it was the black kind of styrofoam, the less flimsy kind, if that makes a difference!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Only reason I don't microwave styrofoam is because it melts when the food gets hot...I didn't know anything about toxins. If I'm just warming something up for 5-10 seconds I'll put my styrofoam plate in there with it. Oops.
    Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• ditto the others, never heard anything about toxins (although wth doesn't have toxins anymore) but wouldn't stand up to the heat. 
  • I think you are both right. While it can melt some chemicals into your food I highly doubt it will kill you. Plus there are different types of styrofoam....some are made to be put in the microwave so they won't melt as fast as others.  
  • um...no.

heating Styrofoam can release styrene (suspected to be a carcinogen and neurotoxin).  with all the BPA hype, I cannot believe anyone would be willing to heat Styrofoam in the microwave.  Besides melting and ruining your food, how about a forkful of cancer?

funny story-  yelled at an old boyfriend for putting styrofoam in the micro- came back 10 min later and he had the styrofoam container of food heating on the burner of the stove...LOL   he blamed me for it- said, well you said the microwave was bad...

• imagezubenescamali:

um...no.

heating Styrofoam can release styrene (suspected to be a carcinogen and neurotoxin).  with all the BPA hype, I cannot believe anyone would be willing to heat Styrofoam in the microwave.  Besides melting and ruining your food, how about a forkful of cancer?

funny story-  yelled at an old boyfriend for putting styrofoam in the micro- came back 10 min later and he had the styrofoam container of food heating on the burner of the stove...LOL   he blamed me for it- said, well you said the microwave was bad...

Agreed.  You are totally right. Putting styrofoam in the microwave will release toxins into your food and it does melt too. It may not kill you today, but the toxins can cause cancer so why do it. It is also why you do not microwave plastic wrap. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesgrl:

OMG! What is WRONG with you?!? You can't microwave styrofoam! It releases toxins into your food and you DIE! Everyone knows this! 

And his attitude was like this: 

OMG! You're a moron! Of COURSE you can microwave styrofoam! That's why they make to-go containers from it!  

We had the exact same conversation a few weeks back.  Only reverse rolls.  I was having boneless buffalo wings and overheated them and there was a nice indent in the melted warped styrofoam.  I still ate them, but decided DH was probably right (so you in your situation). 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"