Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Poll WDYT? Am I overreacting?

Sorry this is long, but please bare with me.

We had a long day at the Community Pool today and left when it was getting dark.  My husband and I were carrying the cooler, bags and boxes out to our car so my brother's girlfriend was holding DD for us.  They parked one side of the parking lot while we parked at the other end on the other aisle.  

I dropped off the bags to the car for my husband to put away.  I turned around to walk back to my brother's car to pick up DD.  As I turned to walk back, he revs up his Porsche and proceeds to back out of the stall (his gf had DD in her lap).  I yell out to him to STOP and started running towards them waving my arms.  He keeps driving and even passes me.  

The gf opens the door and I see both of them smiling like it's a big joke.  I grab DD out of the gf's arms and went off on them.  I said, "STOP.  DON'T do that!  You can't drive with a baby in your arms!  I don't do that - you can't do that!"  My brother said, "Geez, I'm only going 2 mph".  I said, "I'm not worried about you - there are other people leaving too.  What if they back out and they didn't see you?"  He was like, "Geez, fine, sorry" and took off in a huff - zoomed out of there - the gf didnt even have a chance to close the door before he started driving.  

I text him later and wrote, "I didn't mean to get upset at you but I take DD's safety and well being very seriously as a new mom.  I hope you can understand that."

He responds, "Then you should know that drowning is the second leading cause of death in children... think about that next time you take her out to the kiddie pool. Nite."  I'm not going to respond to that.  He thinks I'm being irresponsible by taking her to the pool?  

Did I overreact by being upset that my brother drove with her even at 2 mph?  Should I have let it go?

I guess part of the issue is that he doesn't take what I say very seriously so I may have blew up over a range of other issues.  When I say no,  he says "it's ok" and continues doing it.  He gives her bags of hard candy (Sweet Tarts) or mini boxes of Nerds to play with (she's broken through them before).  He offered her Doritos today.  Thinks it's not a big deal if she tries it.  He truly loves her the most and wouldn't do anything to harm her but doesn't see some things as potentially harmful.  

Again, sorry so long, but I'm upset right now and just wanted to get it out.   

[Poll]

Re: Poll WDYT? Am I overreacting?

• I chose that you were not overreacting. Not a bit. I think I would've reacted the same way (pulled DD out and yelled at bro), but wouldnt have been nice enough to apologize.

However, I do feel inclined to mention that we took DD on the c-train last week. There are no carseats or seatbelts there, and we held her in our lap.

I totally understand why you were upset, and I would be too, but I do want to mention that there are some instances (though NOT the one your brother was doing) that require holding babies in laps while in a "vehicle" / train.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    image image
    image image
  • JLGYJLGY
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary
    image juliane2004:

I totally understand why you were upset, and I would be too, but I do want to mention that there are some instances (though NOT the one your brother was doing) that require holding babies in laps while in a "vehicle" / train. 

I do agree with this, although I think it should be YOUR decision to 'risk' this with your own child. Someone else should not decide this for you (ie. your bro deciding it's ok).

• I definitely don't think you are overreacting.  I think that people that don't have children just don't understand  Your brother sounds like a complete a**, especially after you aplogized for something you should never apologize for, which is being concerned for the safety of your child.  It was totally out of line for him coming back at you with a statistic that has nothing to do with holding a child on your lap while driving. 

My H and I take my 10 month old to the kiddie pool all the time and it is perfectly safe as long as the child is being supervised. 

Your brother should also look up the statistics of accidents in parking lots as well.

• Your brother and his girlfriend were WRONG.  You are not wrong to be upset.  If he can't see that what he did was unsafe, there's something really wrong there.

• image soontobemrslee:

I definitely don't think you are overreacting.  I think that people that don't have children just don't understand 

I don't think it has anything to do with people that don't have children.  Plenty of people without children show care/concern/safety for other's children.  Her brother and his girlfriend weren't showing any common sense. 

• You aren't overreacting.  It is against the LAW to not have a child in the carseat. 

All it takes is a minute, or someone to report or see you, for there to be an accident or end up being pulled over.  It is not worth it.

I was at a wedding last month and was trying to figre out how my DH and toddler would get back to the hotel if I had to leave early with the baby.  Someone told me that in 'emergencies like that' they put their kids right in the car without carseats.  It is just not worth it.

Plus, from your perspective, this is just another "icing on the cake" kind of thing, if your brother is giving your DD candy at 9 months!!

• ivs112ivs112
    Fourth Anniversary
    Not overreacting. It only takes one minute for something to happen. I would have been pissed the eff off.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I also voted that you did not overreact. Especially since he kept driving after you told him to stop and passed you. That is completely unacceptable.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC#2 October 2011. June 2012 diagnosed with mild PCOS and both tubes blocked.
    10/1/12 miracle BFP 11/12/12 missed m/c (9w2d), baby stopped growing at 7 weeks
    1/16/13 BFP, EDD 9/27/13, m/c 1/19/13
    imagephoto rainbowleavesbadge-1_zpsa9246b63.jpg
    2/12/13 BFP, EDD 10/25/13 Please stick little one
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards