1st Trimester

Do you ever wish you could raise your kids in the 70s/80s?

There was a post on another board where the lady was all up in arms because as she put it, regarding her mother, "Point is she wants to do almost everything that was acceptable back in 1970."

She later deleted her post because everyone told her to get a grip.  She had left her kid with her mom so she could go away for the weekend, and her mom had placed a light blanket in the crib.  The kid is 8 months old.  The same mom that managed to keep her alive all that time when she raised her. 

My thoughts were... 

So??

Kids were happier and healthier back then when they weren't all sheltered and hidden in plastic bubbles.  We rode in the front seat of the family station wagon across the country, or hung out in the cargo section waving at the cars behind us... we didn't worry about things like time out and when a kid misbehaved they got a spanking.  We didn't have humidifiers, or bed positioners.  No one had a baby monitor, and we all had blankets and bumpers in our cribs.  Also, trick or treating was still fun and you got full-sized candy bars, pillowcases full, not those mini things.  Every year we hardly have any trick or treaters. When we do, they are stupid teens. 

And for the record, the Weeble Wobbles were better back then and so were the Fisher-Price little people.  They suck now.  Also, we didn't have stupid things like Wiggles and Teletubbies.  Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers and Romper Room.  That was it!

I wish like hell I could go back and raise my kids in the 70's or 80's.  

We didn't have a bunch of fat children running around with portable video games, a soda and some rotten teeth. Kids went outside, rode their bike, and they had fun.  We swam in lakes, and we didn't wait 30 minutes after eating to do so.  We all made it. 

Gosh.. everything is so "delicate" these days.   If not for advances in modern medicine, I'd go back in time in a minute!

Re: Do you ever wish you could raise your kids in the 70s/80s?

• I would definitely love that.

DH and I live in the house that my dad built and that I grew up in and I remember being little and running around in the same dirty bathing suit all summer with tons of kids in this neighborhood. There was never a dull moment but honestly, there are hardly any kids outside in our neighborhood anymore. I'd say there's about 2 boys who play basketball but I never see anyone else running around like I used to.

• Only if I can have the guarantee that Smurfs and She Ra would still be on TV.
  • image LaStrega:
    Only if I can have the guarantee that Smurfs and She Ra would still be on TV.

I will only support this statement if you mean the REAL smurfs... when there was only Smurfette and the rest.  Not the Smurfs that showed up later with lots of girls and baby smurfs.  

• image LaStrega:

love it!!  I feel the same way, my mom and I were actually just talking about this the other day.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Emjay221:

image LaStrega:

I will only support this statement if you mean the REAL smurfs... when there was only Smurfette and the rest.  Not the Smurfs that showed up later with lots of girls and baby smurfs.  

OH hell no!  I'm talking circa 1982 Smurfs.  I sort of remember the baby girl Smurf with the red pigtails.  But no, it has to be the originals.

I would also like to add Gummi Bears and Snorks to the list.   And to a lesser degree, Muppet Babies.

• ooh, can we hadd Fraggle Rock and Punky Brewster?  Kids TV now is such crap.
  • In some ways yes, I think some things that were acceptable back then there is good reason its not now.  However I think you as a parent can control a lot of how your kids grow up.  I only hope that my children will have the same good memories I do.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• image LovingBaz:
    ooh, can we hadd Fraggle Rock and Punky Brewster?  Kids TV now is such crap.

Agreed!  I loved Fraggle Rock and PB.  

What happened to Saturday morning stuff that was good to watch?  I think today's kids missed out on that fun. 

• image LovingBaz:

Seriously.  The Backyardigans?  Yo Gabba Gabba?  I just don't get it.  Give me Jem!

• image LaStrega:

image LovingBaz:

Seriously.  The Backyardigans?  Yo Gabba Gabba?  I just don't get it.  Give me Jem!

She is totally outrageous!  I don't know what happened to my have there..oops hadd..

• image LovingBaz:

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Yes

• I loved Fraggle Rock and Rainbow Brite.  I remember we were not allowed back in the house until it was dark out!  We lived on a "No Outlet" street so it was awesome!  I loved my 7year old birthday present, A SKIP IT!!!!
  • aw man, a friend had a skip it and I was wicked jealous!

We were kicked out of the house all day too, we lived in the country and my dad had built us a fort out of bending tree saplings to form an igloo...in the spring and summer it was shaded with the leaves and cool in there...it was the best.

• image Emjay221:

We rode in the front seat of the family station wagon across the country, You realize kids are banished to the back seat now because of airbags, which can kill a child. or hung out in the cargo section waving at the cars behind us... we didn't worry about things like time out and when a kid misbehaved they got a spanking.  We didn't have humidifiers Bullshit. I had one in my room for as long as I can remember. Otherwise I get nosebleeds in the winter., or bed positioners.  No one had a baby monitor Again, bullshit. My nephew was born in 1986. I remember my sister having a monitor for him., and we all had blankets and bumpers in our cribs.  Also, trick or treating was still fun and you got full-sized candy bars, pillowcases full, not those mini thingsNope, not even in my tiny hometown, we got fun sized. Every year we hardly have any trick or treaters. When we do, they are stupid teens. 

"People seem to couple an inordinate amount of stupidity with extreme laziness." ~ A wise interwebz friend.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• "She had left her kid with her mom so she could go away for the weekend, and her mom had placed a light blanket in the crib.  The kid is 8 months old.  The same mom that managed to keep her alive all that time when she raised her."

Okay before anyone jumps my ass here, remember I wasn't trying to get pregnant and don't have kids so I am definitely learning as I go.

Why can't you put a blanket on a baby? 

• No. You remember them as fun and carefree because you were a child. Ask your parents what the economy was like back in the late 70s-mid 80s. Makes this one look like good times for everyone.

"People seem to couple an inordinate amount of stupidity with extreme laziness." ~ A wise interwebz friend.

• image kdodge423:

No. You remember them as fun and carefree because you were a child. Ask your parents what the economy was like back in the late 70s-mid 80s. Makes this one look like good times for everyone.

LOL This reminds me of something.  My parents had to be very careful when they watched the news to be sure I wasn't around.  One time, in the second grade I'd apparently seen Reagan on tv and somehow thought we were going to war.  I went to school and in very dramatic fashion relayed this to my classmates.  I had 200 second graders in a total panic and some very angry parents. 

• Um... DUR.  I know why kids are in back seats... now... But, if I was raising them in the 70s/80s, I wouldn't be worried about airbags, and all of the crap like that.

My parents station wagon didn't have air bags. 

I was born in 1974.  The scenario was if I was raising my child when I was raised...

If my child were born then,  they wouldn't have had airbags either, or baby monitors.  I was 12 in 1986.  Sorry about your snout... but humidifiers back then weren't the norm.

And maybe your tiny hometown skipped on the goodies, but most people I know dragged around pillow cases of full candy bars, then we went home and unloaded because we had so much stuff and then finished the neighborhood.  

Way to be a party pooper.  

• image StaceyLyn78:

"She had left her kid with her mom so she could go away for the weekend, and her mom had placed a light blanket in the crib.  The kid is 8 months old.  The same mom that managed to keep her alive all that time when she raised her."

Okay before anyone jumps my ass here, remember I wasn't trying to get pregnant and don't have kids so I am definitely learning as I go.

SIDS risk.  Suffocation from having something against their face that they can't move (bumper, toys, soft mattress, blanket, etc.)  And it's best to keep the baby cool, so you also don't to load them up with blankets for that reason.  If you live where it's cold, a sleep sack is safest for babies.

dx PCOS on Metformin
    LO#1 - 19 cycles, 3 IUIs, 1 m/c, gonal-f, ganirelix, ovidrel, progesterone
    Totally worth the wait!
    Getting ready for #2
    Back on Met, PCOS diet, prepping for treatments 1/12

Good luck to the wonderful ladies of 3T
    Always cheering on my girls Gymnst1013 & MrsJohns
    My Chart / Info for Newbies
  • image StaceyLyn78:

"She had left her kid with her mom so she could go away for the weekend, and her mom had placed a light blanket in the crib.  The kid is 8 months old.  The same mom that managed to keep her alive all that time when she raised her."

Stacey, it's okay to ask.  Because of the SIDS paranoia, they recommend only putting a baby to sleep on their back, and not having anything else in the crib.  (Bumpers, blankets, pillows, etc...)

http://www.sids.org/nprevent.htm

But the mom was probably going by the way that kept her daughter safe and sound all that time.  Either way... who knows.  

• you do realize you could still do all those things with your kids, right? we had quite a few trick or treaters last year. feel free to spank your kids, take 'em trick or treating, buy a station wagon... in florida there is no preference for the rear seat stated in the law.

http://www.iihs.org/laws/childrestraint.aspx

i wish people would stop being so hung up on their own childhoods and on what other people do with their kids. and have you watched the smurfs recently? my parents hated that show. they never said anything and they let us watch it whenever, but i saw an episode last year and i seriously wondered how anyone who wasn't brain damaged could stand it. i'm pretty sure that all children's programming is annoying to people over the age of 6. unless it's yo gabba gabba...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp_PnJN5d84

• I could totally get on board with He Man nowadays if it was like this.  Effing rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeFH-QoAPCk

• image Emjay221:

Um... DUR.  I know why kids are in back seats... now... But, if I was raising them in the 70s/80s, I wouldn't be worried about airbags, and all of the crap like that.

My parents station wagon didn't have air bags. 

I was born in 1974.  The scenario was if I was raising my child when I was raised...

If my child were born then,  they wouldn't have had airbags either, or baby monitors.  I was 12 in 1986.  Sorry about your snout... but humidifiers back then weren't the norm.

And maybe your tiny hometown skipped on the goodies, but most people I know dragged around pillow cases of full candy bars, then we went home and unloaded because we had so much stuff and then finished the neighborhood.  

Way to be a party pooper.  

You whine when other people pull this crap- so why when you ask for other people's opinions, you start in with name calling because someone else doesn't want to live back in those times like you do?

I'd rather have my airbags. Safety is far more important to me than nostalgia.

• That argument of "People had kids all the time without all of this stuff, and they survived" is invalid.  We KNOW a hell of a lot more today than we did 40 years ago. 

Did I ride in the front seat as a kid?  Of course.  That is not the operative question though.  The real question should be, have lives been saved by the new safety measures created for children such as carseats?  Absolutely.

If you want to put your kid in the front seat, use lead paint, and let your kid run around town unsupervised, then by all means do it.  I, on the otherhand, am glad that I know better than my mom did.  We don't always need all the fancy things that are out these days, but the new "rules" are there for a reason, and I'm glad I get to parent in this era.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Oh man, parenting an almost-2-year-old with no iPad for entertainment? *Shudder*. Seriously, we would make it a week and then throw in the towel.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• fraggle rock! fred penner's place.....no baby sitter, babysitting other people's infants at age 12, pogo ball around the block when it was getting dark out, you could walk home from school....no such thing as an obese kindergartner epidemic, time out or "limited too"

on the other hand my MIL was impressed with the stroller/carseat combo we just got and she mentioned that she never used carseats for any of her kids (the youngest just turned 27!!!!)

I like to think we are in a good time.....we have protection laws (new crib laws soon :), bpa free bottles, way better cloth diapers, better focus on education and we've made medical strides - my parents are completely impressed with my knowledge and keep saying how lucky I am...that they didn't have access to such info when I was born! ...and they love the idea of the bump board.

• image Emjay221:
    image StaceyLyn78:

Stacey, it's okay to ask.  Because of the SIDS paranoia, they recommend only putting a baby to sleep on their back, and not having anything else in the crib.  (Bumpers, blankets, pillows, etc...)

http://www.sids.org/nprevent.htm

But the mom was probably going by the way that kept her daughter safe and sound all that time.  Either way... who knows.  

Paranoia?!

Would you please take your gross neglect of knowledge and be gone already.

• When you know better, you do better. 
  • I find it ironic that OP is concerned about the obesity of children today and gave the "when we were kids we played outside" line, yet this entire post centered around former television shows and full size versus mini candy bars....
  • You guys are such a batch of whiners.

Oh wahh... we know more now. 

This was a simple nostalgia post.  The others got it with memories of Fraggle Rock, She-ra, etc... 

There was no child obesity back then, even with cartoons on Saturday morning and full size candy.  Why??  Because we got our asses out of the house and rode all over the neighborhood on our Huffy or Schwinn bikes.  

We had fun.  I don't want to hear some long "4 out of 5 doctor's recommend" crap.  

I know the science, and the studies and all of that.  I respect the achievements that were made, but it was a better, simpler time.  

That was the point.