Baby Names

Freyja

I need serious, honest opinions.  I love this name and I don't know why. Here is the meaning for anyone who does not know:

Freyja - Older version of Freya (pronounced FRAY-ah) meaning "lady". From Norse Mythology this is a goddess associated with love, beauty, fertility, gold, and war.

I'm trying to find a unique name with a good and strong meaning. I think this is important, but I also want the name to sound and look nice on paper. This name seems to fit the bill, but people look at me like I have devil horns or something.  It's almost like they don't know what to say. I can't do that to my child. I'm looking for some honesty here.

Thanks! 

Re: Freyja

• I don't mind Freya, I just don't like it spelled with both a y and a j. I have seen it spelled Freya or Freja.
  • I know a girl named Freyja (age 32) and know a baby who was just name Freyja. I think it's a nice name.
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with PP - a different spelling would make it work better.

I, too, will be naming my LO with a unique name that has a great meaning...good for you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I believe Freyja is the correct spelling. So changing it to Freya or Freja would be technically "youneek".
  • I don't hate it. In fact, I prefer it to the cutesy modern names like Brynlee and Kylie.

The j may give you some pronunciation/spelling trouble, so you might consider the alternate spelling Freya, but if that doesn't bother you, it's fine.

• LOL - that was good.  Freyja is the original spelling. That's one of the reasons that I like the name. I think it looks pretty - which is just as important as it sounding pretty. My husband is worried that people wouldn't know how to pronounce it, but I don't like it without both the y and j.
  • Not to rile-up anyone - but I looked up Freyja on a few baby name websites and it wouldn't come up.  But Freya or Freja did.  (I also saw in on a few others as a modern version of Freyja. - but I don't count Wikipedia as a good source of info sometimes!) So there are options if you want people to be able to pronounce the name.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Your spelling is correct, but it's a really old spelling of it.  Most birth announcements that I've seen have used Freya nowadays.  But it's up to you.  I like the name Lilja, which would cause problems, but I'd still use it because I think it's pretty.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My initial reaction is that its misspelled, but it looks like you've done your homework. I would still avoid it though simply because most of the US (at my area) has no idea Freya is a name to begin with.

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • I really like Freya, but I don't like it spelled Freyja.
  • I like it either way, but I am a teacher and I can promise you that there will be confusion if you spell if Freyja.

"Even miracles take a little time"

• imageWinter92:
    I really like Freya, but I don't like it spelled Freyja.

dito

• imageStimpy09:
    I believe Freyja is the correct spelling. So changing it to Freya or Freja would be technically "youneek".

Actually Freya is a correct spelling and more common.

I know several children and adults with the name Freya (spelled this way) and they are all orthodox jews. I think it is a pretty name, but I really don't like the older spelling of Freyja.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • nms.  Sorry!
    mmc @ 14 weeks - November 2009. Missed every day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 15DPO:461 17DPO (47hrs later):1380
  • I have honestly never come across this name...

At first glance I want to pronouce it like the plant Fresia.  I think it is the "j" that does that.

• imageStarAnnice:

imagelisak624:
    I don't mind Freya, I just don't like it spelled with both a y and a j. I have seen it spelled Freya or Freja.

This!

This squared! 

• I know someone by that name and like it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"