Babies: 6 - 9 Months

so 1st foods vs 2nd foods i am so damn confused.

DS is almost done with trying all of the 1st foods, now we move onto the 2nds right? But he hasn't had some of the foods in the combo's or some of the spices, should i go for it anyway? Do the same 3-4 day rule? Can he eat pasta since it is a grain and he has had oatmeal and rice cereal?

This really shouldn't be this confusing, I think I am just making it confusing!

I should have asked my pedi all of these questions at my last visit! He just told me "Start with the firsts, move to seconds then incorporate yogurt, then meat then table food."

Little E born 12.10.09 Little A born 04.19.12

Re: so 1st foods vs 2nd foods i am so damn confused.

• I have been giving the 2nd foods to Mason for about a month now.  I am starting to give him saltine crackers and the puffs so that he gets used to picking up small peices and putting them in his mouth.  I don't know what we will introduce next, I guess I will wait until his 9 month check-up and ask the Dr. 
  • I have no advise. I'm just as confused. We're starting on new foods right now, too. But we have a pedi visit tomorrow, so right now we're just sticking with stage two fruits and veggies til I get some advise from the pedi.

• Loading the player...
  • guajajguajaj member
    Same 3-4 day rule. If you've done applesauce, you can now do the apples & blueberries because you're only introducing one new food. Getting into pasta & 3rds depends on how many teeth and how well he chews. What spices are you finding in baby food?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageguajaj:
    Same 3-4 day rule. If you've done applesauce, you can now do the apples & blueberries because you're only introducing one new food. Getting into pasta & 3rds depends on how many teeth and how well he chews. What spices are you finding in baby food?

I noticed there was cinnamon in one of the 2nds and some of the 3rds have gravy etc. which i would assume have spices.

• I believe the 3-4 day rule applies to all new foods till 1yr. I would be cautious with any of the mixed foods with grain in them, they should specify what grains and if its one he's already had then go ahead, if it's new to him follow the new food rule. Most of the combo ones you can get the food either alone or in just a 2 combo with a food hes already had (for example-Mixed Fruit with Pear, Apple, Pineapple, Mango and Peach your DS can have Pear, Apple and Peach alone, also Pineapple Pear combo,before doing the big mix).

I think the only difference between 1st and 2nd is the amount, and 2nd has a lot more combo foods. But consistency wise I can't tell the difference.

We are going to try meat this week, and DD has already tried yogurt and loved it. But we started solids at 4 months.

• Im sort of just as confused.....we have been doing 1st foods and rice/oatmeal/barely cereal.   I'm thinking we could move onto 2nd foods but I guess for some reason I thought LO had to be able to sit unassisted for 2nd foods???   Is that right?
  • My pedi said that once LO is done with all of Stage 1 that we can move on. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Me:  37   DH:  39   DS:  4
    TTC #2 - Experienced Miscarraige on 3/5/13, DnC on 3/11/13

• So maybe I'm just the oddball out here, but I don't pay attention to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd thing.

I make food that I think LO will like - I started with the obvious - sweet potatoes, pears, etc.  (The typical 1st stage foods.)

Then I started reading about baby led weaning which is where you give your child what you yourself are eating and I realized that this whole progression of some of these foods is a little silly.

Now I give him whatever I think he might like to try.  Within reason of course.  I still wait 3-4 days to introduce anything new.  And I always check to make sure what I'm giving him is not on the "no-no" list (honey, eggs, nuts, etc).  And it's working great for us. 

He tried chicken this past weekend and LOVED it.  When I told my SIL he tried chicken she was like - "DD won't have chicken until 9 months because it's Stage 3."  Okay - to each their own, but what did people do before they bought canned and labeled baby food?  What is it about chicken that makes it Stage 3?  The whole thing just seems a little odd to me . . . 

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • guajajguajaj member
    we tried the jarred meat baby food one time with my daughter, it came out in her diaper the same color and consistency as it was in the jar. I figured she couldn't have gotten much nutrients from it, so we didn't do it again.
  • I think here in the US Mom's are put under way too much pressure to do it 'right' and there are tons of rules and crazy stuff. 

We do BLW and so Ophelia gets fresh fruits, veggies, cheeses like gouda, swiss, and cheddar.  She gets tofu, meats, crackers, scrambled eggs, etc.  I would hate to be thinking about each stage and trying to figure it all out.  It's all marketing.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• imagelittlemaybaby:

So maybe I'm just the oddball out here, but I don't pay attention to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd thing.

I make food that I think LO will like - I started with the obvious - sweet potatoes, pears, etc.  (The typical 1st stage foods.)

Then I started reading about baby led weaning which is where you give your child what you yourself are eating and I realized that this whole progression of some of these foods is a little silly.

Now I give him whatever I think he might like to try.  Within reason of course.  I still wait 3-4 days to introduce anything new.  And I always check to make sure what I'm giving him is not on the "no-no" list (honey, eggs, nuts, etc).  And it's working great for us. 

He tried chicken this past weekend and LOVED it.  When I told my SIL he tried chicken she was like - "DD won't have chicken until 9 months because it's Stage 3."  Okay - to each their own, but what did people do before they bought canned and labeled baby food?  What is it about chicken that makes it Stage 3?  The whole thing just seems a little odd to me . . . 

ITA 100%.

As long as you intro new foods one at a time and follow the 3-day rule, there's really no need to strictly go from stage 1 to 2 to 3, etc. It's perfectly fine to feed your LOs what you want, as long as it's within reason.

• WHY WHY is it all so dang confusing! Shouldn't it be easier than this??
  • Thanks ladies!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"