Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Neck crease rash?

Does anyone's LO get redness in his/her neck creases? I only see her neck creases when she is sleeping in my arms and hangs her head.

How do you keep them clean? What to put on the redness?

Re: Neck crease rash?

• Options

Our pedi just told us to keep the creases clean and dry-that nothing needs to be put onto them.

I usually just wipe her over with a warm washcloth to make sure all the neck goop is gone.  

• Options
    I try to keep Harper's dry but it is quite a challenge since she is constantly drooling. Like Brandi, I put diaper cream (Burts Bees) on it when it gets really red. My pedi said you can put baby powder on to your hands and then on LO's neck.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for your ideas Ladies! I will try to do a better drying job after baths and maybe some butt paste when I can watch her hands. :)
  • Options
    I was always told to just keep it as dry as possible. A Dr at the ER told me she's seen babies come in and it was so bad it was bleeding and look like their neck had been slashed. *shudder* Apparently those parents NEVER clean their babies necks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    cornstarch baby powder on a cottonball
  • Options
    Not only do DS's neck cracks get red, but they get FULL of lint.  I think it has to do with all the drool.  I wash it every day (DS hates it when I do this, but it has to get done) and so far everything's been fine.
    Mom to Cameron, born March 6, 2010
    BFP December 27, 2010, MC January 2, 2011
    BFP March 17, 2011, MC April 7, 2011
    BFP August 22, 2011, EDD April 21, 2012
    My Blog:
  • Options
    broomybroomy member
    I wipe them occasionally (between baths) with a damp washcloth. When they start looking red and raw, I put Aquafor ointment on them. It clears it up very well!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options

it is close to impossible to keep the neck creases dry once the teething / drooling stage begins, that plus the heat of the summer and you have a problem - it is very easy to develop an infection (yeast). If you see any redness, you have to address it or it can get worse.

i recommend washing neck creases thoroughly a couple of times a day (i find it easiest to get to at diaper changes, when the LO is lying down and can be distracted with a toy to lift their head so that you can see exactly what the inside of all those creases look like) then patting the area completely dry and then applying a very thin layer of diaper rash cream to make the creases water proof (i use Lansiloh brand diaper rash cream, it has lanolin, petroleum jelly and zinc oxide)

Oh, and same goes for the armpits area.

• Options
    I also see it when he does tummy time.  I try to keep it dry but it's not working. When it doesn't look angry, I put aquaphor which helps keep it ok but when it's red and angry, it's a yeast infection (pedi calls it beefy red) and I put yeast cream (Lotramin) on it until it's better again.  I also try to do more tummy time because he lifts his head and spreads out his neck (getting it dry)
  • Options
    DS gets this too. It stinks, so I started calling it "neck cheese" since that's kinda what it smelled like. Turns out I'm not nearly as witty as I thought & the Internet already has a bunch of sites dedicated to neck cheese. Google it, it's funny.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"