3rd Trimester
Options

Anybody every had their ring cut off??? Where do I go?

I  think I may need to get my wedding rings cut off?? Any suggestions on where I would go or what I should do?? I feel like the biggest idiot but all of a sudden it would not come off.

Re: Anybody every had their ring cut off??? Where do I go?

• Options
    la79alla79al member
    Try spraying it with windex.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
                             Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imagela79al:
    Try spraying it with windex.

This.  If you have to get them cut, you should be able to get it done at a jewelry store.  If not, go to an urgent care center or emergency room.  GL.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    As a jeweler I agree that windex is the absolute best!  The ammonia in it shrinks your skin momentarily and makes it easy to work your rings off, just keep spraying!  You can either go to the hospital or to most jewelers and they will cut them off for you.  I would recommend finding a jeweler to do it because they are much more gentle in trying to keep your diamonds as in tact as they can be when opening your rings up.  Good Luck to you!!
  • Options
    Some jewelry stores will do it. I work at one and we have to do it from time to time. We actually have a solution that works great in slipping rings off so we use that first and only resort to cutting if we have to. But you can call stores in your area (or ask friends/ relatives where they go) or go to the store where you bought them and then you can have it sent off right away to be repaired so that they are intact by the time you can wear them again
    My 2 girls, both born on a Friday the 13th, are exactly 2 years, 2 months, 2 hours and 2 minutes apart! And Baby Boy joined us October 11, 2013! image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You can also take floss (or other thing string) and wrap it tightly around the area above the ring. It can help get the ring past the biggest part of your finger and help it slide off. Just remember to quickly unwrap your finger though!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I tried EVERY trick out there to get my ring off but it wouldn't budge. I went to the jeweler that my DF purchased the ring from and they cut it for free. He reassured me that it doesn't make the ring lose any value and as soon as the swelling is gone and the baby is born, he can resize it to fit my finger. By the way, it didn't hurt at all- trying to take it off hurts much worse!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    delg23delg23 member
    I used to work in a jewelry store where people would try on rings all the time and couldn't get them off. They would panic and feel embarrassed. I told them it was a-ok it happens all the time & then convince them to let me spray windex on their fingers. Relax your fingers, & yourself spray windex and it will come off. I took mine off as soon as I started swelling for fear of this! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My rings got super tight I just happened to go swimming that day and the cool water helped my swelling and my rings came right off! If you have a pool available give it a try.

I have also had a ring cut off at a jewlery store they tried the windex thing first and it didnt do enough.

• Options
    Also try icing your hand (will reduce swelling) and holding it high above your heart for as long as you can.  This should help the swelling go down, then try the windex or soap trick.
  • Options

imagequeenie521:
    Also try icing your hand (will reduce swelling) and holding it high above your heart for as long as you can.  This should help the swelling go down, then try the windex or soap trick.

Definitely this. Also if you have been tugging at it a while, give it a rest as all that commotion only made the swelling there worse. Wait an hour or so, hold it up high for as long as you can, ice it, run it under cold water, etc. then give the windex a try. Also swelling is usually less in the morning as compared to later in the day.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am a HUGE fan of Windex! It saved my rings. They weren't coming off either until I doused my finger in the blue stuff and after working it for a few minutes and a bit of redness and pain they finally came off! Whew! Boy was I glad ot NOT have to have them cut off! I hope it works for you! I was seriously swollen so don't be afraid to try even if you think it wouldn't work. GL
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers imagePrince Spaghetti Night imageXO My Funny Valentine XO
  • Options

I tried everything to get my ring off after DS was born (DH thought it would fit back on my finger and after a week or so of him saying it may, I tried it and oops...). Nothing worked. We had to go to the jeweler store that he got my ring from. They did a nice job and they fixed it perfectly, too! I had to wait a month I think so that they could resize it once the swelling, etc went down completely!!!! So my ring is a complete different size!

Good luck and try all that you can first, but I wold rec. the jewelers.

• Options

Thanks for all the great suggestions. After trying everything suggested I still had to get both of them cut off. The jewelers did a great job and my finger feels so much better.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"