3rd Trimester

Clicky: Will you circumcise if you have a boy?

2»

Re: Clicky: Will you circumcise if you have a boy?

• Well one medical reason that i heard why is was better is once the incision site is healed its actually healthier for the baby and less likely to develop infection from things getting trapped in the foreskin. My doc and pediatrician made it sound like it was healthier plus were doing it for religious reasons as well. Plus they can give the baby a small does of tylenol and its not really cosmetic surgery they wouldnt do it if there was no purpose
  • Yes!

1. There are some issues with keeping under the foreskin clean as you have to make sure and pull it back when cleaning. I have known personally two small boys who got infections under the foreskin.

2. I am not Jewish but I am a christian and feel if it was good enough for Jesus it is perfectly fine and acceptable for my boy too.

3. Also though it is more accepted now days there is still locker room talk and boys are often teased for not being circumcised from Jr. High through adulthood. I can still remember the guys in High School making fun of the guy/s with turtle necks.

• Loading the player...
  • I was totally zoned out at my first appointment and when they asked if I would want a circumcision if we had a boy I just answered no. Then my boyfriend flipped out and asked if I was crazy and that we absolutely had to do it. And the nurse just started laughing and was like oook lots of time to discuss and google!
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    College Mom
  • imagesastaton:

Yes!

1. There are some issues with keeping under the foreskin clean as you have to make sure and pull it back when cleaning. I have known personally two small boys who got infections under the foreskin.

2. I am not Jewish but I am a christian and feel if it was good enough for Jesus it is perfectly fine and acceptable for my boy too.

3. Also though it is more accepted now days there is still locker room talk and boys are often teased for not being circumcised from Jr. High through adulthood. I can still remember the guys in High School making fun of the guy/s with turtle necks.

1. Pulling it back before it has separated on its own CAUSES problems and infections.  I also personally know more than two boys who have had permanent deformations of the penis because of their circumcision.  I live in a country where antibiotics are more readily available than cosmetic surgery, how 'bout you?

2. You want a 'Jesus' circumcision?  Don't get it done at a hospital, get a mohel.  The old Jewish circumcision did not remove the foreskin, it snipped less than a centimeter off and was more to draw blood than change the penis.  Enough was left over that the boy could still pass for uncircumcised.

3. Check the new statistics.  Unless you live in a Midwestern state like Michigan less than 75% of boys are circumcised and the rate drops every year.  If someone is going to pick on him they'd have more than just one or two kids to tease.  In fact, if you live in a state near the west coast the circumcised boys are the minority!

• Yes, I will.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • There is no way a study like that could be accurate and scientific. There are too many other factors that could change the outcome of the study and they would have to follow a very large sampling of boys throughout their lives until adulthood. That's the biggest load I've ever heard. I also left the decision up to him and he immediately chose circumcision. (He loves his mother, by the way.)
  • Definitely. I was a stay at home caregiver for my grandfather for 6 months (this included baths and bathroom breaks) and he had multiple UTI's. His primary care doctor and urologist both said it was because he was uncircumcised and it was much more difficult for him to keep his area clean. Although this is 100 years down the line for our son, I would never want him to deal with that.
  • My husband is circumcised. He was 6 when he had it done. Went in for hernia surgery  and the doctor took it upon himself to have get it done, without his mother's permission ( dad not in the picture) . We have decided together that we will not have it done when our son is born in October.

For us, we are not Muslim nor Jewish, so really there is no cultural or religious reason why we need to do it. For medical reasons, well my father and brothers are not circumcised and what I know from my mother, they never had infections or STD's.

My sister in law had her firstborn in December, a son. She was dead set on having him circumcised. She was taking some nursing classes  and they saw a video on circumsion ( she was about 8 months at the time).  Let's just say she changed her mind as quickly as she could. My nephew was not circumcised, but really to each their own. It's your baby.

• We are doing it! I let my hubby decided.. He has to be the one in there when they do it though
  • imageJBrianne:

I told daddy he gets the vote on this one because I don't have a penis ;)

I agree. I let my husband make the decision and he wanted it done. Since I don't have a penis I didn't feel qualified to make that decision. I think if I had to make the choice all on my own, I would not have done it because of the same reason. I don't have a dinky so I don't know what to do with one. I would have just let it be.

• imageWilwarin:
    If it ain't broke...

YUP!!!

• I feel like this is a choice that should belong to the baby.  It's his body and can't be undone, plus there is no medical reason to do it. I'm having a girl, but if I were having a boy, I would give him the choice to do it later in life once he could make a mature decision. Then at least it would be a fully informed decision on his part. 

• We will be circumcising any boys we may have due to personal choice. 

My husband is from the Netherlands where it is also very uncommon but since my husband and I have been together sexually I have had a boatload of bladder and eventually kidney issues.

We're seen ob-gyn's, gynecologists, etc....and other than long-term antibiotics the only solution they have given us is for my husband to be circumcised. SO...long story short, poor DH is preparing himself for the painful procedure as an adult because according to our 2 urologists, uncircumcised penises can cause health problems for both men and their sexual partners later in life. ALSO, our ob-gym made sure we realized that the build-up of scar tissue from all of my issues can affect our future fertility. 

SO, that's why we've decided what we have.  Good luck with your decisions everyone! :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"