Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Mamas who've had big boys...

When did you move to a convertible carseat? I'm trying to weigh out my options. DS is about 16bs/23.5inches. I've got the KeyFit 22. I was thinking I'd switch to a convertible when he gets a little more head control but I'm now seeing that the new Britax models are coming out at the very end of August.

Think it would be better to wait on purchasing in order to get the newer model?

image. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Mamas who've had big boys...

• I've been wondering about this myself.  I feel like DS is going to outgrow the carseat before we can get enough use out of it!  At 15 lbs and 25 1/4 inches long, I think we're running out of time!
  • I just reposted it in 3-6 as well so check there for anwers too! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • DS weighed 15lbs at 6 weeks old and 22lbs at 5 months.  We switched then. 

I would have switched sooner, but MIL was buying us our Britax for Christmas so we waited until after that to switch. 

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• imagemrs.jenni:

DS weighed 15lbs at 6 weeks old and 22lbs at 5 months.  We switched then. 

I would have switched sooner, but MIL was buying us our Britax for Christmas so we waited until after that to switch. 

Hmm..August would put us around 4.5 months. I'd really like to wait if I can make it. The new models all have nicer prints and the bigger seats now go to 70 lbs and 40lbs rear facing..

• Thinking that she means her infant seat and will not be able to get much use out of it since her baby is larger due to weight and height limits...
  • imageCMMC23:
    Thinking that she means her infant seat and will not be able to get much use out of it since her baby is larger due to weight and height limits...

Yeah I think that's what she meant as well, but there's not much you can do when you have big babies =)

You'll still get a lot of use out of the infant seat if you have more than 1 child.  We're using our Chicco again this time with DD and will use it again with a 3rd baby. 

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• imageCMMC23:
    imagemrs.jenni:

Hmm..August would put us around 4.5 months. I'd really like to wait if I can make it. The new models all have nicer prints and the bigger seats now go to 70 lbs and 40lbs rear facing..

Hmmm, I'll have to look into them!!

DS was off the charts for weight and height (over 100%) so if your baby is ON the charts, then you'll probably make it to get the newer model! 

• imagemrs.jenni:
    imageCMMC23:
    imagemrs.jenni:

Hmmm, I'll have to look into them!!

DS was off the charts for weight and height (over 100%) so if your baby is ON the charts, then you'll probably make it to get the newer model! 

Eh, we are off the charts too! :( LOL. We started off as a scrawny little peanut who "wasn't thriving" and now eating is his favorite pastime!

You can pre order some of them at amazon.com. It says they will release and ship Aug 30. I was looking at the Marathon and it has added padding compared to this model and some adjustment features have been added as well.

• i moved ds when i could no longer carry him in the carrier...probably five months. he got heavy but the carrier is so convenient for shopping... until they can really sit up well
  • DS is 14lbs/24 inches.  I think we will switch to a convertible seat once he has full neck control.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i am trying to hold out till he can sit so shopping is easier.  at 2 months he was 13 lbs and 25 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• With DD (now 2yo) my goal was to get thru the end of the winter with her in the bucket seat. The limit was 22lbs and she made it perfectly to 21lbs and 10mos riiiiight as the weather was getting nicer in April. I wanted to keep her in it because it's just easier to keep them warm in the carseat with Bundleme's etc than to have to put sweaters and stuff on a baby.

But I think DS (now 6wks and already 13.5lbs) will be at or near the limit much sooner (I'm guessing 8mos?). I think this time I might try to move him to the convertible a lot sooner because lugging baby's 20+lbs plus the seat's weight AND a diaper bag and now also a toddler (well, holding her hand at least but still one more thing to juggle) is going to be a lot.  

• imagemrs.jenni:

Holy cow!  15 lbs at 6 weeks?!?!  How big was he at birth?? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"