High-Risk Pregnancy

repost from 3rd tri re: brethine(terbutaline)

Anyone prescribed brethine for pre-term labor? Sunday night I was admitted into L&D for pre-term labor at 32 weeks. I am now home on bedrest and have been prescribed the oral form of brethine to stop contractions. I've been hearing a lot/reading a lot about the side effects this drug has on infants and the controversy it's causing among med professionals. My dr had assured me it was safe but I still plan on discussing it with him further at my appt on Thurs. Just curious if anyone else has been prescribed this or what you have heard or know about this drug. Thanks ladies!

Re: repost from 3rd tri re: brethine(terbutaline)

• I started terb at almost 32 weeks when other drugs they tried didn't work at stopping labor.  I was on terb for about 2 weeks, and they had to take me off of it because my heart couldn't handle it at the end.  The day after I stopped it I delivered. So the terb worked...

I now have a beautiful, healthy soon to be 2 yr old DD and am on bed rest with her little brother hoping to make it at least as far as she made it.

• I have been on a term pump since 22 1/2 weeks and now I am almost 26 weeks. It did stop working and I had to go back to the hospital to get it flushed out of my system. However without it my twins will not have survived. I hope to make it two more weeks at least.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have been on a terb pump since 22 1/2 weeks and now I am almost 26 weeks. It did stop working and I had to go back to the hospital to get it flushed out of my system. However without it my twins will not have survived. I hope to make it two more weeks at least.
  • I went on it during my first pregnancy with my twin boys at 27 weeks when I went into PTL, and stayed on it until I delovered at 34 weeks. It works...my boys are speech delayed, but I dont think it was from the terb, I think its a boy, preemie thing...anyway, my boys are far better off today having been born at 34 weeks vs. 27 weeks if I had not used the terb. 

This go around, I went into ptl at the same time, 27 weeks, but they put me on procardia this time instead. so thats another option you can look into.  

• Went on Terb at 31 weeks and it was effective for about 5 days. I delivered at 32 weeks. No side effects for our daughter from the medication.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"