Product Recalls

2.2M Cribs Recalled

Attention Bumpies- 2.2 million cribs have been recalled from 7 manufactures after the Consumer Product Safety Commission found they did not meet quality standards. Recalled brands include: Child Craft, Delta Enterprise Corp., Evenflo, Jardine Enterprises, LaJobi, Million Dollar Baby, & Simmons Juvenile Products Inc. (SJP). If you own any of the above brands, the Consumer Product Safety Commission advises you to get free repair kits from the manufacturers or to get red of your crib. Get more info >> 

Re: 2.2M Cribs Recalled

• FYI..I have a Lajobi crib that was sold under the name Graco. A plastic piece broke off of the dropside and compromised its safety.  They sent a replacement for free when I called the company.  But I was wondering if anyone esle with the same crib had this happen to them.  I have concern because the piece that broke was plastic and it was not strong enough to hold up the dropside.  That means other cribs out there have the same problem and it may not be noticed.  Please...if you are a parent with a dropside crib, check all the parts regularly!
  • so sad with this companies not having any standards!!!
  • Really...how hard is it to make a crib without faults?  I am constantly amazed that these companies (and well known ones at that) are still in the business of producing infant lines of products.  Recalls after recalls.  I just don't get it.  Don't they test these products before they offer them to the market?  These are infants who can't protect themselves or break their own falls.

• I just went threw the list of the recalled cribs and almost all of them are drop side cribs.  I wonder how much longer its going to take before they actually stop making them. 
  • i hope they don't stop making drop-sides just because of this ... i like the drop side, never liked the fixed side models!

But i think the dropsides are more prone to "break" because they have more moving pieces, obviously ...

• The dropside cribs themselves aren't more dangerous, it's just that they're making them with plastic supports now instead of metal.  The issue isn't the design, it's the material.  Companies want to stay competitive so they cut corners anyway possible b/c the typical consumer will choose the cheaper option.  It's a never-ending cycle.
  • So glad to see this.... I just started my registry yesterday!!!  Thank you!

Photobucket

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My Mother-in-Law got the crib that I registered for... have no received it yet. It's a Lajobi Graco crib, but it doesn't have the drop side... is this recall only for the Drop side cribs?
  • From what I can tell it is just the drop side cribs.  I actually have a Lajobi Graco that I purchased in May also but it's not drop side.
  • I think I have the same crib, it's called Graco Lauren made by Lajobi I think. Anyways the plastic piece at the bottom broke as soon as I put it together. It's on the drop-side bottom, right side.

It took me FOREVER to get them to replace it. I kept being told to call back and forth from Lajobi to Graco. I finally bought the piece from somewhere else.

I have a question though- To return this crib back to Target do I have to have the receipt? I lost it and also don't have the box, so I'm assuming I can't return it. But I thought I'd ask.

• Target can look up the purchase if you used a credit/debit card. Although it might be a bit harder without the box.
  • This email came just in time! I have recently been given one of the Child-Craft cribs. It did have a few missing screws so I have not put it together. After I checked my email I was going to the companies website to download the assembly instructions to do so! Thanks so much for posting this! Also, I know now to check for any recalls on ANY items for my child.
  • those cribs were recalled around 2 to 3 months ago beacause of the faulty plastic hindge and because the side can slip causing the infant to get stuck and suffocate. you should call the company again.
  • Shows how much you don't know. Its actually amazing difficult to make anything  that is perfect. There are so many rules, regulations, paint standards, shipping standards, must make it so that a 5 yr old can assemble- otherwise you'll get sued because they didn't put it together correctly, etc. and by the way- you must make the product for next to free because customers expect everything for nothing.
  • FYI - those with Baby Mod cribs from Walmart should check to make sure their cribs aren't on the list. I happen to by chance know that Million Dollar Baby manufactures Baby Mod (I lost the crib instructions and found them on MDB's site), however, Walmart has yet to post the product recall on their website. I matched my crib to the exact name and model number of one the recalled cribs. In online pictures, it is the same.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I have a "bily" crib. Does anyone know if there has been a recall on that brand. It too is a drop side.

I can't seem to find any info on this brand.

• i have a drop side crib that i bought from crib & teen city in 2004.  we planned on using it again for our new little one due in october.  problem is, i can't seem to find any of my paperwork on it & don't know the manufacturer's name off hand.  the only info i can find on the crib itself is that the model name was "Veronica".  anyone have any suggestions on how to find out if it's on the recall list???  thanks!!
    image image BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • You are so right!!! We need safe products, but most people are not willing to pay for them, so they settle for lesser quality and scream when it does not hold to the standards of a higher quality product. Barring products that break as soon as you assemble them, as seems to be the case with this recall,  I also think that in many cases people do not read the instructions when assembling things, and do not use things as they are intended for or instructed to, and then are surprised when they break or malfunction and immediately blame the manufacturer.  So many times I have seen the older children of my friends climb into the crib with the younger child (well over the weight limit of the crib), or kids holding the rail and jumping, or what my daughter did just last night...a somersault over the crib rail onto the bed that is against it. - how can you account for all the crazy things that kids (and parents) do to these products if you are a manufacturer.  We all need to take more responsibility for how we assemble and use our products, and after we assemble them, shake, pull, push on and rattle and roll them before we allow our kids near them...and we need to continue to do it over the months and years we use them - then recalls will happen before there is an accident, or not happen at all because we will return sub-quality products! 
  • image a664244:
    Shows how much you don't know. Its actually amazing difficult to make anything  that is perfect. There are so many rules, regulations, paint standards, shipping standards, must make it so that a 5 yr old can assemble- otherwise you'll get sued because they didn't put it together correctly, etc. and by the way- you must make the product for next to free because customers expect everything for nothing.

I agree completely with you! - I responded below, but I hit reply instead of quote...

• I just went looking at cribs yesterday- it's so frustrating!  The ones at Ikea are good and all, but not very attractive.  I know the baby won't care what it looks like, but I do!

Recommendations on a decent crib that won't break the bank or baby?

• image Devotchka:

i hope they don't stop making drop-sides just because of this ... i like the drop side, never liked the fixed side models!

But i think the drop sides are more prone to "break" because they have more moving pieces, obviously ...

TOO BAD CONGRESS IS TALKING ABOUT BANNING ALL DROP SIDE CRIBS! THANK GOD!

sorry but 95% of all the recalls in the last ten years have been drop side from a plastic piece detaching or something snapping off, or the matress support breaking. i have a fixed crib, i'm 5'4 and i have a 3 week old she isn't going in it til shes at least 3 months but i'd rather have to get a step stool  then worry about her suffocating or being strangled for a simple convienience. but if you REALLY love your drop side get a seriously good one with a 30 year warranty by baby tenda my mom had one for me and used it for my toddler bed and for my brother.

• We are so pleased and relieved every time a recall for cribs comes out that ours is not on it. We were VERY fortunate that our son's GREAT (literally) Grandmother was insistent on buying his furniture. She went all out and spent around $3000 (for Crib, dresser and Glider/ottoman) for beautiful Baby Cah? (Glider and Ottoman are not Baby Cach?, I think they are Shermagg). We love the crib and dresser and everyone who sees it is always in awe at how sturdy and durable it is!! Our son is set for life with this stuff!! Crib- toddler- day- full sized bed!! If someone offers to help out with furniture or pay entirely look at the Baby Cah? at Babies R' Us. Well worth the money. They don't do dropsides, but really with the way dropsides are made now why would you want them??

Best wishes to all expectants!! Good luck in this summer heat!! :-( 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards