Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Green poop ... Only at Night!?

The last couple of days DS has had green poop in his early morning diapers. But the rest of the day he is having normal yellow mustardy poop.

I'm EBF'ing and am wondering if this could be a case of too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk during his overnight feedings? He pretty much sleep eats and I have to constantly remind him that he's eating.

If this is the case, should I just feed from one breast then? And I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to just do that overnight because it would mess with my supply, so I'd have to switch completely to feeding one breast only all the time.

Sorry this was long and has lots of questions...just not sure what to do.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Green poop ... Only at Night!?

• I have noticed this as well. I had been giving LO gas drops before bed and was wondering if that caused it. Didn't give her the gas drops last night and we had yellow poo. However, yesterday afternoon she had green poo and I had eaten blueberries in the morning and I wonder if that made a difference. Anyhow, I think if it only happens every now and again, I would not worry about it too much.
  • dantodanto member

Green is a completely normal poop color.  It COULD be a fore/ hind milk imbalance.  You could try feeding from one breast only.  Doing one side only before bed shouldn't affect your supply and you should be able to continue to feed from both during the day.

You could do the night feed primarily from one side, and just give a little bit at the start from the other breast to keep from getting engorged overnight - or just pump after the feeding.

I wouldn't worry too much about the green poop unless there are some other symptoms though (gas, reflux, weight gain, rash)

GL!

• Loading the player...
  • www.babycenter.com has poop pics with explanations... I read that baby's who are getting extra iron have green poop.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"