Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Bf-ing/pumping ques.

We are at day 10 and I'm not producing enough milk to pump. I know LO is getting enough when he latches (feed every 2hours during the day and every 3 at night) so I'm not concerned about that. But, I'd like DH to help with the feedings at some point. Pump and put into a bottle type deal for at night. When should I expect enough milk to come in for this? There are so many ladies who say they make a bunch and can freeze it -- when the heck is it my turn!?

Re: Bf-ing/pumping ques.

• I felt the same way for a while.  I had to supplement DD with formula for a while and I felt I'd never be able to pump enough for a full bottle and now I pump at least one bottle a day so DH can participate.  I can't remember exactly when my milk really came in in full force, but I think it was sometime around the third week.  Hang in there....

• image naturegirl417:
    I felt the same way for a while.  I had to supplement DD with formula for a while and I felt I'd never be able to pump enough for a full bottle and now I pump at least one bottle a day so DH can participate.  I can't remember exactly when my milk really came in in full force, but I think it was sometime around the third week.  Hang in there....

Ugh. 3 weeks?! I'm sooo trying to hang on. It's really difficult. Especially when I look over and see DH cat napping while I'm feeding for 30min. during the night. I can't wait till he can participate, too!

• It took me a while, but I had supply issues at first....hence the supplementing.  I remember wanting to smack DH every time I got up at night to feed DD, only to have him roll over and say he'd help but it would only be pointless.  I knew it was true, but it was so annoying at 3 am.

• mopsiemopsie
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments
    I started pumping yesterday - I nurse for about 25-45 minutes every 3 hours (4 at night) and pump after she's done nursing, and I get about 1/2 ounce combined.  At this point I'm only pumping to get my supply up, but I save the pumped milk and give it to LO if she has a particularly short nursing session to make sure she has a full belly, otherwise she'll want to nurse again after an hour.
    abby 365

**Abigail (Abby) Lily**06/11/2010**7 lbs, 10 oz.**19.5 inches**

**Charlotte Harper**11/04/2012**7 lbs, 6 oz.**19 inches**

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Have you tried pumping in the morning, after you LO's first feeding?  Apparantly we have more milk in the am and as the day progresses we have less.  So, you may have more luck trying to pump in the am.  Or if you are really dedicated in the middle of one of LO's 3 hr sleep sessions at night...I  find that the longer we go between feedings at night the more engorged I get.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was trying to pump at the beginning but she eats so often it's pretty pointless... if I kept trying to do it now I think I would literally do nothing but feed her and pump my boobs. So DH gives her a bottle of formula in the evening, and sometimes twice on Saturday, so I can sleep a little more. Being the one who ALWAYS has to get up to feed her is annoying as all get out much of the time, but that's just a biological condition... that's the way it is if you wanna to BF.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers www.foreverfactor.blogspot.com
  • It gets better.  I waited until 4 weeks to introduce a bottle and by then my supply had regulated.  It takes time pumping to tell your body to produce additional milk.  They recommend you wait 4 weeks to introduce a bottle to make sure breastfeeding is established.  It's to avoid nipple confusion.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I pretty much had to start pumping when DS was 3 days old because he had to go into the hospital for phototherapy (for jaundice) and they didn't want me taking him out of the light for 30 minutes at a time since that was time he would have lost in the light...

He's 2 weeks old now, and it takes me 45 min to an hour to get about 3 oz of pumped milk. The only reason why I'm still pumping right now is because we've had major latch issues and now I have Raynaud's in my nipple so it's kind of painful to BF him every time he needs to eat.

I agree with pp that it's really best to wait to start pumping until your milk really comes in or unless you have some kind of medical condition that you need to pump for. I know it's annoying seeing DH sleep while you're up feeding LO in the middle of the night. You'll get to the point where your supply will even out soon enough and pumping will actually be worth it!

Logan Jack- 6.1.10 and Emmett Weston- 9.29.12 

• Keep attempting to pump (once or twice a day) and your body will eventually produce more.
    High risk momma: Diagnosed with a partially abrupted placenta at 32 weeks and sentenced to strict bed rest for the remainder. Pregnancy Ticker} {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • image EmilyAnn10:

image naturegirl417:
    I felt the same way for a while.  I had to supplement DD with formula for a while and I felt I'd never be able to pump enough for a full bottle and now I pump at least one bottle a day so DH can participate.  I can't remember exactly when my milk really came in in full force, but I think it was sometime around the third week.  Hang in there....

Ugh. 3 weeks?! I'm sooo trying to hang on. It's really difficult. Especially when I look over and see DH cat napping while I'm feeding for 30min. during the night. I can't wait till he can participate, too!

I didn't pump at all until 3weeks since that is when my LC and midwife both told me to start. BUT if you want to try now then I would just try and pump after each feeding and in a few days it should help increase your milk production. For DH helping I suggest an evening bottle or something not an over night since you'll have to pump out that feeding to keep your milk production up, I'd much rather just feed DS during the night then to hook the boobs up to the machine to pump out that feeding! GL!

• At 2 weeks I was able to pump and save a little but I've heard you should wait until a month. I think they encourage you to wait so that you are BFing each time to establish a supply. I didn't really listen and I've had no issues. And I've saved up like 200 oz and usually skip a feeding and give DS a bottle each day when we are out or people are over so that's pretty cool.

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker