December 2010 Moms

Did you know it's not a 50/50 chance?

When we went for our NT scan the u/s tech told us that there is always a 51% chance of getting a boy and a 49% chance of getting a girl. Apparently there are more boy sperm than girl sperm...always.

I asked the high risk OB about this, and she confirmed...I found it interesting.

Re: Did you know it's not a 50/50 chance?

• I was just telling DH the same thing last night!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I didn't know that! Pretty interesting... I feel like everyone I talk to for the past couple of months is having boys!  When I went to get some supplies for boy baby shower invitations I was working on, I had to order from the internet because the store was out of everything baby boy!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • true - this is because there is a higher pre-puberty mortality rate among boys than girls. Little boys are more likely to do something dumb and get themselves killed than a little girl is, so evolution has evened it out so that by the time people reach puberty the ratio is more 50/50.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • weird. I have more girls than I do boys...A guy I work with has four girls (no boys). I wonder how that all works out??
  • That is interesting.  I had no idea!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That's pretty interesting - I didn't know that!
    Proud Momma to two beautiful children!!!

• Interesting. Maybe there are more because the boy sperm die off faster?! I think The Great Sperm Race said that the boys swim faster but die sooner and the girls swim slower but live longer?
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • em_713em_713
    Fifth Anniversary

I have actually read that it does have to do with the fact that boy sperm and as well as boy fetus' are not as strong as the girls. They die off quicker and are more fragile than girls. This is the reason why some people will try to conceive a girl by having sex right before the big O and then waiting the day of and couple days after so that it gives them more of a chance to have a girl. On the other end they might wait till the day of to try for a boy since the boys swim faster. Not sure how accurate you can be, but it does make sense to me.

It's so wierd how evolution works....Whether it is God, evolution or both...It is pretty amazing.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • image fmgrice:
    Interesting. Maybe there are more because the boy sperm die off faster?! I think The Great Sperm Race said that the boys swim faster but die sooner and the girls swim slower but live longer?

You are 100% correct.. I also read where if you concieved early on in your cycle then its a girl and later means boy...(Fertility Cycle)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Interesting. I didn't realize that!
  • I thought more boys died because of X chromosome diseases?
  • image fmgrice:
    Interesting. Maybe there are more because the boy sperm die off faster?! I think The Great Sperm Race said that the boys swim faster but die sooner and the girls swim slower but live longer?

that makes sense

• image LuckyladyJ:

image fmgrice:

You are 100% correct.. I also read where if you concieved early on in your cycle then its a girl and later means boy...(Fertility Cycle)

I've heard all this.  My friend swears by it.  She thinks she has it down to a science b/c of some book she read.  She has two boys and says that's what she wanted, but now she's pregnant with her 3rd.  We'll see if she gets the girl she wants.