Baby Showers
Options

Etiquette: Proper wording on Baby Shower Registry for College Fund???

Hello ladies - here is a question that I need help on - we are having a baby shower in August and my SIL has given us almost everything we need already for our first baby! :) I am very blessed - My mother however wants to officially throw us a Baby Shower (bless her) so we are registering for some things that we know we will need.... so we have started the process (very overwhelming - oh my goodness)

My question is - we would rather our family and friends give us money towards the College Fund that we are setting up for our baby daughter - what is the proper etiquette to handling this? Also on the Registry - if you go online or go to the store and print - there is a message on there - we thought if we worded it correctly, we could post something along the lines of asking people to contribute to the college fund instead of physical gifts - what are your thoughts? What is the best way to word it so people don't get insulted???? Really could use your guidance on this one! Thanks!

Re: Etiquette: Proper wording on Baby Shower Registry for College Fund???

• Options
    There is no proper way to ask people for money. 
  • Options

Ditto.  Plus, this is the thing about showers- people like to bring an actual gift and like to see it being opened.  Peopel will feel REALLY weird about coming w/o a gift.  And as such, probably will still bring a gift.

So, either tell your mom a firm "thanks but not thanks", or suck it up and accept the shower and the gifts you'll get graciously!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Our registry (myregistry.com) had a feature that allowed us to add "College Fund" as a gift option

I was in the same boat, where truly we did not need any more "stuff" but wanted to give people the option to give us something that we would actually use/need

Unfortunately I got more clothing/bibs/bottles than even someone with quadruplets would ever be able to utilize

I returned anything I could, and put that money (or the equivalent in gift cards) into a fund for baby

People love to shop for baby stuff, and you will most likely get more physical goods than cash, just an FYI 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Simply put - there is no etiquette on asking for cash b/c it's not a polite thing to do.

You can't start a college fund until the baby is born and has a SSN.

Other ideas -- have a diaper/wipes shower since you have most everything you need.  Or you can opt of the gifts and have your mom throw a party instead of a shower.  

• Options
    imagelisa5201:

People love to shop for baby stuff, and you will most likely get more physical goods than cash, just an FYI 

This is really the truth of the matter too!  My advice- register for more stuff than you really need at some place like Babies R Us. HOpefully you'll get gift receipts and you can return a lot of the stuff.

If you don't register, or for not enough stuff - then you up the chances that you will get a lot of stuff that you don't know where its' from, you can't return it, or... what have you. 

The more you actually register for, you may have a better chance of being able to return it.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    Wow - that's one I hadn't seen before.  I haven't laughed like that for a while, thanks!
  • Options
    ctanactana member
  • Options
    Thank you to everyone for their feedback - I knew it all along but just thought I would see what your thoughts were!  I appreciate you all taking the time to provide the feedback!  This is great! :-)
  • Options
    you should checkout depositagift.com  it's a cool site that let's you register for cash gifts for anything you need for your baby. and they offer gift certificates to print during checkout so you do have something to bring. i did this for a friend and wrapped it in a onesie. as a gift-giver it was super easy and i was thrilled to contribute towards something she actually wanted and that i knew she wouldn't return. i know there is a lot of debate on this subject, but i would prefer to give my friend something that will make her life easier. in this case, my gift went towards swim lessons for the baby (she had a college fund gift item on there as well and i know people "purchased" it). the other thing that was nice is that she got more than the registry with deposit a gift...she had an entire baby site and she used it to post pics for her friends & family to keep up with her pregnancy - adorable, eco-friendly and practical. i loved it so much that i'm going to use it now too.
  • Options
    imageJoyToMarisa:
    you should checkout  i loved it so much that i'm going to use it now too.
    Wow, that hardly sounds at all like spam from a new poster to another new poster!  Really.  Only the tiniest little bit.
  • Options
    ctanactana member

imageRoxyLynn:
    imageJoyToMarisa:
    you should checkout  i loved it so much that i'm going to use it now too.
    Wow, that hardly sounds at all like spam from a new poster to another new poster!  Really.  Only the tiniest little bit.

Totally agree.  Its so funny that the people with so few posts are the ones actually who think these off the wall ideas are great!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"