2nd Trimester
Options

Is there a non-drowsy alternative to Benadryl that's safe?

My seasonal allergies have been absolutely brutal to the point that I've been forced to take a Benadryl once or twice during the day just to stay functional (as recommended by my midwife).

Problem is... I had been so sad that I haven't been feeling the baby move very much over the past week or so... and realized that it's probably the Benadryl causing the decreased movement because baby is drowsy from the Benadryl.

Has anyone else found some relief from their allergies that doesn't cause drowsiness?? I'm going to call the hotline my midwife told me to call about these things, but I'm just curious to hear what you've been finding effective.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
- Robert Munsch

Re: Is there a non-drowsy alternative to Benadryl that's safe?

• Options
    I take Claritin- and it is on my OB's ok list
  • Options
    I could be wrong, but isn't there a non-drowsy benadryl? if not, i know there is one from clariton. That's on my OB's okay list...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagechickaboo1974:
    I take Claritin- and it is on my OB's ok list

This.  The active ingredient is a class b drug, so it's fine with my OB, too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies!

I'll love you forever,
    - Robert Munsch
  • Options
    Plain Claritin (not Claritin-D, or the redi-tabs) is on my "safe list." It is a category B. PP, there is no non-drowsy Benadryl.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Zyrtec is also pregnancy category B and works the best for me by far.  You won't see it on too many of the "ok" lists just because it has only recently become generic, but I have checked many sources to verify that it's ok.

If that doesn't work, talk to your doctor.  There are other options that are safe during pregnancy.  More info: https://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,5982,00.html

This is my first post so my apologies if it doesn't post correctly or something.  :-

Due with DS2 on March 15, 2013! PLEASE vote on my BabyNames.com list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9692263
  • Options
    Claritin and Zyrtec were ok'd by my OB.
  • Options

Zyrtec is the only thing that works for me, and the doctor says it's fine.

Still, you should be checking with your doctor for advice on meds rather than asking us. We'd love to help you as much as we could, but we'd feel awful if we unknowingly gave you bad information. Besides your doctor is most familiar with your pregnancy, and will be able to help you best. 

• Options
    imageracheladine:

Still, you should be checking with your doctor for advice on meds rather than asking us. We'd love to help you as much as we could, but we'd feel awful if we unknowingly gave you bad information. Besides your doctor is most familiar with your pregnancy, and will be able to help you best. 

this. different doctors okay different things... so just because my doctor says something is okay, doesn't mean yours will.

Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
    The Dandelion Archive
    "If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageGenRN45:
    imageracheladine:

this. different doctors okay different things... so just because my doctor says something is okay, doesn't mean yours will.

Don't worry -- I'll be checking with my midwife on Monday (mentioned this in my initial post), I was just curious to see if anyone else had found something safe that worked or if it was a lost cause.

I'll love you forever,
    - Robert Munsch
  • Options
    Be careful.....Zyrtec causes drowsiness also.  Loratadine (Claritin) is the only OTC that doesn't.  You can also try taking the Benadryl at night, although that may not be enough for your allergies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"