Natural Birth

"Calm Birth" vs. Hypnobirth?

It's surprisingly difficult to find a hypnobirthing class in my area that offers hours my husband can attend. (I live 45 mins from NYC)

However, my hospital offers a "Calm Birth" class. I read the overview of the class and went on Robert Bruce Newman's website. This method sounds nearly identical to hypnobirthing, besides allowing to acknowledge fear. 

Does anyone have any experiences using this method, or have any opinions on how one may be better then the other? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: "Calm Birth" vs. Hypnobirth?

• i've never heard of it, i think a big part of hypnobirthing (at least, hypnobabies) is positive thought, letting go of control issues, and confidence in your self and your body.  HB does acknowledge fear and has "fear clearing session" where you bring a concern/fear to mind and basically release it because you can't control everything.  it sounds kinda hokey, but every time i've done it, i feel like it works and those things no longer weigh on my mind. 

i went to the website and the only other thing i can think of that's different is you're doing HB related stuff every single day, listening to positive affirmations and then working on your relaxation tools (lightswitch and other relaxation cues, in addition to breathing).  You can do a home course if there are no classes near you, that's what i'm doing.

i do think you're right, the take home message is to relax and be calm/comfortable.

• I don't know anything about Calm Birth.  However you may  want to look into Hypnobabies.  There is a complete home study available.  There may also be a Hypnobabies instructor in your area?  https://www.hypnobabies.com/mylink.php?id=3810#NewYork

However if not, the Home Study is a great option!  I moderate the Hypnobabies Yahoo Group and most of the moms there use the home study kit.  

Sheridan

• Loading the player...
  • imageEnjoybirth:

I don't know anything about Calm Birth.  However you may  want to look into Hypnobabies.  There is a complete home study available.  There may also be a Hypnobabies instructor in your area?  https://www.hypnobabies.com/mylink.php?id=3810#NewYork

However if not, the Home Study is a great option!  I moderate the Hypnobabies Yahoo Group and most of the moms there use the home study kit.  

Sheridan

hi sheridan! (i'm on the yahoo group too)

• I haven't heard anything about it. But personally, I wouldn't take a natural childbirth class through the hospital. It's possible that the hospital restricts the information the instructor can teach. Maybe this sounds pessimistic, but I'd keep looking.
  • YulesYules member
    Thanks for the advice ladies. I am still going to finish reading the hypnobirthing text, but may add the calm birth method on top of it. Self-study courses work for me, but my husband's schedule is too tight to do this on a nightly basis. I found a woman who only does hypno classes with one couple at a time, if the cost is reasonable we may end up going for it.
  • imageYules:
    Thanks for the advice ladies. I am still going to finish reading the hypnobirthing text, but may add the calm birth method on top of it. Self-study courses work for me, but my husband's schedule is too tight to do this on a nightly basis. I found a woman who only does hypno classes with one couple at a time, if the cost is reasonable we may end up going for it.

the self study stuff is mostly for me.  i listen to the positive affirmations CD (about 30 min) every day on the way to work, and my hypno cd (also about 30 min) at night as i go to bed.  later on there are scripts you can have your DH do with you, he can get as involved as he wants.  mine hasn't done anything, he's skimmed his birth partner guide and knows what i do and don't want him to do and we're good with that.  i made him a cheat sheet so he knows the cue words that will help me and things he can say to help me relax; i also have a doula i've given the same info to.

• YulesYules member
    image*speedracer*:

imageYules:

the self study stuff is mostly for me.  i listen to the positive affirmations CD (about 30 min) every day on the way to work, and my hypno cd (also about 30 min) at night as i go to bed.  later on there are scripts you can have your DH do with you, he can get as involved as he wants.  mine hasn't done anything, he's skimmed his birth partner guide and knows what i do and don't want him to do and we're good with that.  i made him a cheat sheet so he knows the cue words that will help me and things he can say to help me relax; i also have a doula i've given the same info to.

I just checked out the home-study kit and it's $148 on amazon. Have you seen it cheaper anywhere? You're lucky you are going to have a doula. We have a pretty traditional OB and he says that he's never seen hypnobirthing work. Way to keep me optimistic. (I'm attempting it regardless, what do I have to lose right?!)

• HypnoBirthing is excellent and there are instructors within 30 min of NYC.  

go to www.HypnoBirthing.com and check out the listings of instructors in NY & NJ.

They also have a self study package...but a class is always better, especially when it is out of a hospital...there are no bias' to what is covered.  A class also walks you through all the hands on items in the class.

Wishing you all the best 

• Hi everyone,

I used the GentleBirth program for my son's birth 4 weeks ago.  I had an induction and epidural etc 7 years ago and thought that 2nd births were usually shorter....  this time it ended up being 16 hours with my son in a posterior position (back labor) but I managed it with my gentlebirth CDs, affirmations and having a fantastic doula!  I also read Ina May Gaskin's book on birth.

GentleBirth is less expensive too (and you get more CDs)

Hope you have a fantastic birth!

www.GentleBirthUSA.com

SM

• I haven't taken classes in either or employed either method, but I have read both the books. I liked them both, but personally felt that Calm Birth was much better. Hypnobirthing used a lot of scare tactics in the written portion of the book and I can't believe that everyone can basically hypnotize themselves into not feeling any pain during childbirth. I like that idea that Calm Birth says, it IS possible to birth naturally without pain, but for those who do feel pain, here are ways for you to release the fear of pain which will make it worse and to accept and transform pain into something positive and manageable. It really just kind of spoke to me on a different level.
  • I would do the hypnobirthing home class or hypnobabies.  I would also suggest finding a doula who could support you and DH in practicing the hypnobirthing techniques at home.  If I had just done the home study, I think I would have missed out on a lot from the hypnobirthing class experience. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Our Little Guy due 4/14/13 BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"