Babies: 6 - 9 Months

dog and baby

a few things/questions about your dog since having LO:

1) Has your dog become overly obnoxious since having LO? My dog will have been let outside, fed, played with...and he will sit there and squeak constantly!!!

2)  He is ALWAYS licking DS on his face while he is crawling, we have a yorkie so they are basically at face level. But I will tell him NO over and over and he just runs right back up to him and licks him. 

on the positive side, he hasn't reverted since he brought DS home, I've heard of dogs that start going to the bathroom in the house and chewing things and stuff. he hasn't done that at all so that is the plus side. but the other is driving me INSANE. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: dog and baby

• Our dog (Australian Shepherd) has just recently figured out that she's not going to hurt him. And, even then, he still doesn't really believe it. He does lick her face and hands. I think it is more because we tell him he's a good boy when he does it. He's not a crazy licker, though. We wanted to teach him that she's not going to hurt him and that she's one of us! He stops when we tell him to, though. That being said, he is VERY jealous. He was the baby of the house. I don't think that he wants to go out more or anything. I think we notice it more because he's looking for our attention rather than us just giving it to him.

He hasn't reverted at all, thank goodness!!

• Our dog is really great with our LO. He was never a licker tho. We have a black lab/German Shep mix and he's very gentle. He only gets upset when she screams (he hates loud noises) but has no problem letting her touch him (and she LOVES him).

In regard to the licking thing, I learned this in dog training, don't say "no", make a sharp "eh eh" sound. Dogs don't understand words but they do get the meaning behind the tone of your voice. He immediately stops whatever he is doing when we make this sound- even when it has nothing to do with LO.  We never use "no" (partly because we have a kitten named "Bo" too) but even our cats stop what they're doing when we make that noise (and everyone knows, cats never listen).  Just a suggestion. 

• We have a Cairn and he is exactly DD's weight and size. When DD was born he was a pill. But I think it was us being sleep deprived & he being traumatized by the change. We now take him to camp bow wow 3x/week so he can get his doggy on and this has helped tremendously. 

But, he has sat on her "lap" (meaning entire body except for her head) thinking he can sit on her like he does with us. He constantly licks her face; and since she "kisses" with her mouth open, It's that much more disgusting. When I turn my back, he's giving her his squeaky toys and she's putting it in her mouth...which is just Ick! to both DH and I. If I keep him a way from DD he will cry and bark and scratch...those two are inseparable.

At first I would yell and get crazy but then he started getting nervous so I backed down and now they're just two peas in a pod. I love that they're best friends. Of course, I'm constantly wiping her face, hands, feet, as soon as he's done loving on her. And I try to hide his toys but they keep resurfacing.

• image loveshockey53:

Our dog is really great with our LO. He was never a licker tho. We have a black lab/German Shep mix and he's very gentle. He only gets upset when she screams (he hates loud noises) but has no problem letting her touch him (and she LOVES him).

In regard to the licking thing, I learned this in dog training, don't say "no", make a sharp "eh eh" sound. Dogs don't understand words but they do get the meaning behind the tone of your voice. He immediately stops whatever he is doing when we make this sound- even when it has nothing to do with LO.  We never use "no" (partly because we have a kitten named "Bo" too) but even our cats stop what they're doing when we make that noise (and everyone knows, cats never listen).  Just a suggestion. 

Yeah, this is true. We do the same thing. I've even caught myself saying "eh-eh" with my daughter whenever she's doing something she shouldn't...like she understands! I only use the word "no" when he's doing something dangerous or REALLY bad. He gets it and stops immediately.