2nd Trimester

Can craving ice water be a sign of anemia?

So, I know that ice cravings can be a sign of anemia, but I've been ravenously craving the coldest, iciest water possible (like freezing bottles of water till their half ice before I drink them).  Water simply cannot be cold enough.

The only ice I'm craving is Sonic ice- but that stuff is always delicious (it's kinda like slushy ice for those of you w/o Sonics in your area).

Anyway, can craving ice water be a sign of anemia, too?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Can craving ice water be a sign of anemia?

• Usually it's more of chewing ice that can be a sign of iron deficiency (not necessarily anemia, but just a low iron).  I really don't think ice cold liquids count.  You can always ask your doctor next time you go in, I don't think you'd need to make a special call out of it.
  • everyone i know who has craved sonic ice was
  • shakesshakes
    250 Answers 2500 Comments Sixth Anniversary 100 Love Its
    image laurasusan:

So, I know that ice cravings can be a sign of anemia, but I've been ravenously craving the coldest, iciest water possible (like freezing bottles of water till their half ice before I drink them).  Water simply cannot be cold enough.

The only ice I'm craving is Sonic ice- but that stuff is always delicious (it's kinda like slushy ice for those of you w/o Sonics in your area).

Anyway, can craving ice water be a sign of anemia, too?

generally not, cravings wise things like dark veggies, meats and something very extreme called PICA which is a craving for non food items like chalk, dirt, clay, flour, raw potato, raw rice, starch, ice cubes, salt. When they say ice cubes and salt they mean hardcore serious can't get enough of it, might as well own a salt lick, obsessive craving. It's more of a psychological issue than a basic craving issue.

I think you're good :) Just hot and thirsty!

• This is the second pregnancy I have been anemic and my ice water / ice cravings are/were through the roof! Maybe it's just me. Last pregnancy I asked my doc to be tested because the ice issue was out of control.  Sure enough.
  • I don't know if it's a matter of how strong your cravings are, but I just thought my desire for ice water was a factor of how hot it is outside. LOL.
  • um no- i would put money on it that you are just pregnant and its summer time and hot.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Nah. I have only been able to drink ice cold water since pregnant ... I can't get enough of it.

But when I first got my BFP, I craved steak like MAD. I took that as a sign I may need to up my iron intake. I've been fine since.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker