Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

S/O Poll: What are you LESS cautious about?

What things do you see IRL friends or Bumpies being cautious about, but you don't think they are a big deal?

Re: S/O Poll: What are you LESS cautious about?

• I think that if you read your car seat and vehicle manuals that car seat installation (especially infant bucket seats with bases) are pretty much idiot proof and the idea of going to have yours done by a "professional" is ridiculous.  I also think that kids should be exposed to germs, and think it's funny when people use shopping cart covers and obsessively lather themselves and their children in hand sanitizer at every turn.
  • I'm a little more careful about germs out in public, but at home I'm very lax about sharing germs as long as it's within "the family." Like many twin moms, I would feed the boys with one bowl and one spoon (takes too long otherwise!), they constantly share germs with each other. And if they pick up a Cheerio off our floor and eat it, that doesn't bother me at all. (We don't wear shoes in the house so the floors don't get that dirty anyway!)
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Loading the player...
  • I was going to say the same thing as pp about the germ-sharing at home :)

My boys constantly drink out of each other's sippy cup (I no longer stop them, nor care, now that DS2 drinks milk too), I constantly give them bites off my spoon, I drink after DH, etc. None of those things bother me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Logan David 03.27.08
    Jacob Riley 05.18.09
    {Member since 2007}
  • Probably food. Obviously nothing that is choking related.

Naturally, I try to make sure DS has a pretty well-balanced diet but if he goes a day without eating a veggie, I really don't think its that big of a deal.

And my kid has had his fair share of fast food. All kinds because I don't discriminate, ha.

Oh and TV watching. 

Aiden 6-17-2008 Baby #2 due December 22, 2011
  • I don't own a shopping cart cover.  It's just one more thing to carry around and I already have too many things to carry around!  I wash my kids' hands when we get home and if the store happens to have a disinfecting wipe available I'll use it on the cart's handle, but I just plop my kids right into the cart without thinking about it.
  • Germs - germs are actually your child's friend.  A strong immune system is only created by trial and error.

Breathing Monitors for babies - Yes SIDS is scary.  But I think that if you live to hear a beep, you are never really going to live at all. Not to mention they are so apt to go off incorrectly. 

Expensive Baby Clothes - really, why would you spend hundreds of dollars on something that will be outgrown or dirtied w/in months (or even weeks)?

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • I'm not weird about germs.  I think people go way overboard about tiny little germs that our bodies are supposed to be exposed to to build immunities.
  • I'm not a germaphob and I do not use cart covers. My kid eats cheerios off of the floor, and he's also eaten things that he's held out to the dogs to lick (not ideal, but it can't always be avoided).

But- if you saw someone sneeze, hack into their hand, or wipe their runny nose, then touch a shopping cart handle, would you, yourself, avoid touching that same cart? I would. I do at least give the handles a quick wipedown with clorox wipes, especially at the grocery store. I've had packages of raw chicken leak on my hands while shopping, so you never know what kind of bacteria are sticking to everything. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Britax carseats. We didn't buy them cuz they were too expensive. We got 2 evenflo ones. I am not a horrible mommy b/c I didn't buy " the best". Eventhough everyone else did! They wouldn't sell the carseats in the store if they weren't safe! Also didn't make all if DD's food when she was on purees. Made squash bananas and sweet potatoes but that was all really, bought the rest! And shopping cart covers are stupid and filled with the same germs that are on the cart! Germs build immune systems.
  • Quite a bit.  Germs, definitely.  Never have used a cart cover.  My kids are licked by the dog. I truly do not care if people take their shoes off in my house or not. 

Choking.  I'm not stupid about it, but I don't cut my kids food into teeny tiny pieces and puree things to within an inch of their life.  Both my kids take bites out of regular food and do pretty well.

Milestones.  I know what the normal ranges are, but I've had a kid who didn't walk until 18 months, so now I don't freak out if my kid is not doing something early or even late end of normal.  

Fevers.  People on here go to the freaking ER for a fever and it always makes me go "Huh?"  Kids get high fevers.

Babysitters.  I leave my kids with non-family babysitters all the time.  

• Like everyone else has said-germs. DD eats off of my utensils all the time, I kiss her on the lips, etc. Kids all over the world chew on sticks and grass and rocks, and live to tell the tale. (Have you seen Babies the movie?) And yes, I know all about how sharing utensils and kissing can cause LO's tooth decay....whatever....

We don't buy organic anything.

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Food.  DD eats well-balanced meals for the most part, but I don't worry or freak out about fat, salt, organic, junk food, etc.  I'm just not overly concerned about it. 

Falling and "ouchies."  My DD fell at my mom's house the other day and busted open an existing sore on her knee.  Blood was running down her leg.  My mom was about to have a heart attack.  Me and my sister (who works in a day care and sees kids fall all the time) pretty much didn't react.  We of course cleaned her up, cleaned out the sore, put a band-aid on, and then I gave her snuggles and kisses as she cried.  Every. single. time my DD falls, my mom gasps, which makes it worse cuz then DD reacts when maybe she wouldn't.  When she takes minor stumbles, I usually just look to make sure she's ok.  She falls every day, so I just don't worry about every single fall. 

imageimageimage
  • Germs.  They never cross my mind until someone says something like 'oh that's full of germs', or something to that extent. 
  • imagewellfleet04:

Fevers.  People on here go to the freaking ER for a fever and it always makes me go "Huh?"  Kids get high fevers.

I know!  This and falls.  I saw someone on here who took her DC to the ER when she fell one foot off a mattress.  It wouldn't even cross my mind to go to the ER for that.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Food- we don't buy anything organic.  My kids do eat food off the floor!

Fevers- agree with PP, fevers happen. Even high ones.  It just means the body is working correctly in fighting off a virus.

FWIW, I do use a shopping cart cover (have with the last 3 kids) and it's not so much for their hands, which you can wash when you get home or in the car, (assuming they haven't put them in their mouthes 50 time by then!) but for their mouthes when they are at the ages of wanting to chew on the cart handle....YUK!  I believe they get enough exposure to germs in other ways based on how often my kids are sick in the winter, lol! 

SAHM to 2 boys (3 & 16 yrs) & 2 girls (5 & 8 yrs)

Our Angel Boy- m/c in 2007 @ 9wks due to Trisomy 17
  • I am probably the most cautious about things out of my IRL friends and they think I am the over-protective mom (who knows, maybe I am).  As far as things I am less cautious about is cutting her food into teeny, tiny pieces.  She has a lot of teeth and prefers to take bites out of food.  Also, I used a shopping cart cover once and it was a PITA and one more thing to remember to bring, carry around, put in the cart, take off the cart, stash in car.  So far she has survived over a year without the cart cover and she has had only a few colds in her lifetime and that's it.  I do have one IRL friend that judges me for no cart cover yet her LO isn't old enough to sit in carts. Confused  Also, I don't freak out when our dogs lick her.  And we run around in our yard barefoot on a daily basis.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Babyproofing around the house. We have plugs in the outlets, and I have latches on a couple of cupboards, but we haven't really had a need for much else. There are several cupboards that I allow DD to play in, and that seems to curb her interest in the other cupboards.

The toilets aren't latched, but she doesn't go in the bathroom alone.

So far, teaching her that the oven is hot and redirecting has been enough.

She doesn't have a bed rail on her toddler bed. She only fell out the first night, and it's like a 10-inch drop anyway.

My SIL literally has foam padding on all the edges of her furniture. She looked at me like I had two heads when I told her I wasn't going to put any foam padding on Lily's rocking horse. Different comfort levels, I guess!  

My silly Lily is almost 4. BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"