Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

D&C (D&E) vs. Natural M/C

Hi, I found out this morning by ultrasound that my baby died 2 days ago at 7w5d. I am looking for recommendations from other women who have had fetal demise at around this same time regarding what you did. My OB would prefer to do the D&E but I'm honestly resistant to the idea. I'd rather just let it happen naturally since I'm already bleeding and have been for 4 days. What was your experience with either option? Thanks.

Re: D&C (D&E) vs. Natural M/C

• I chose the D&C because it had been over two weeks and my body wasn't doing it on its own, I have to go out of town for three weeks and I was terrified of the pain/blood. I just wanted it over with and not to sit around wondering when it would happen, how painful it was going to be and if I would be alone.
  • Just wanted to say, I am sorry for your loss. I really have no advice because I had a natural m/c and didn't have the choice because it just happened.
    My Blog PM me to read my blog BFP 12/22/09 natural m/c 2/20/10 12 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I am so sorry for your loss. I had a D&C at 9 weeks. For me, I was relieved to have the physical part behind me and the procedure was not painful.

My only regret about the D&C was the cost. I didn't think to look into my insurance and it only partially covered the bill. Still, for us, it was the right thing and I'm glad we did it that way.

((hugs)) and good luck with whatever you choose.

Married my best friend 3/14/09
    2 kiddos (DS is almost 4, DD is 19 months) and a puggle named Regan.
    3 losses (1/6/2010 at 9.5 weeks, 3/21/2012 at 12.5 weeks, 7/31/2012 at 5 weeks)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've had 2 natural ones. After the first I was determied to fight for a D&C if I ever had another m/c. I had horrid blood loss and clots for 6 hours. The second one I bled for 3 weeks while I "remained" pregnant. Then I randomly passed a very small amount of tissue, bled a bit and it was over. 

You have to go off of how you feel. If you think you can handle having a natural m/c and be ok with it mentally and physically, then yes, go ahead. If you think the waiting and bleeding and clotting is going to be too hard, yes go ahead with the D&C.

I hope you find the solution that suits you the best, this is one of the worst situations to be in. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • First, I want to say I am so sorry for your loss! With my first m/c I had no indication that anything was wrong until I went in for my 8 week appt. My OB did an ultrasound and the sac was empty. I was asked if I wanted to go naturally or to to have the D&C. I opted to go natural. I started bleeding a few days later. My OB monitored my HCG (beta) levels. Four months later, it still wasn't back to zero and started to level off around 15. So in order to make sure I didn't get an infection, I was given a D&C. Now, thinking back, I wish I had just done that to begin with. With things taking so long to resolve, the D&C made me feel like I was losing the baby all over again. I know this usually isn't the case, but I thought I would share my experience with you. With the second m/c it was ectopic, and opted for an injection to dissolve it. I wish you all the best and I hope you find comfort here! These ladies are the best!!!! T&Ps with you!! ((hugs))
    PicsArt_1352689198937-1
    Noah's Blog TFAS Chart
    BFP 12-16-08...blighted ovum at 8 wks
    BFP 4-26-10....ectopic at 6 wks
    BFP 4-4-11... Our little Noah arrived 11-15-11!
    TFAS Sept 2012
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Made so many amazing bump friends along the way... Congrats to my bump besties and IRL friends..sbuxsweetie (Colin is here, and is going to be a big brother!),kellbranc (Luca is growing so fast) and lots of prayers and baby dust to willamina (HUGS) So blessed to have met these ladies!!!
  • I am so sorry for your loss. 

I bled for 6 days and there was still alot of tissue left, so I decided on the D/C for my first m/c.  2nd m/c I hadn't started bleeding, but I chose the d/c as well because the recovery was so easy.

My neighbor m/c'd naturally and wound up having to have a d/c as well because of leftover tissue.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Goblin Gallup 5k 10/30/11 - 36:46
    Turkey Trot 5k 11/24/11 - 35:14
    Festival of Lights 5k 12/31/11 - 33:13
    Love the Run You're With 5k 2/13/12 - 31:58
    Backyard Burn 5 miler 3/11/12 - 1:08:42
    Cherry Blossom 10 Miler 4/1/12 - 1:58:22
    Wine Country HF 6/2/12 - TBD
    Spartan Race 8/25/12 - TBD
  • So so sorry for your loss.  For my first m/c, though I was a little farther along than you, I was scheduled for a D&C.  However, I didn't make it to the surgery before I started passing tissue.  A small amount of tissue got stuck, and I just kept losing blood and ended up in the ER.  So even though I passed almost everything naturally, I had to have the D&C anyway. 

If you want to do it naturally, go for it, but I would make sure to ask your dr. how much is too much and when you should call.  Having an almost-natural m/c helped me grieve the first time around, so I do think there was an up side to it (if you can call it that).  Good luck and T&P.

• For me the D&C was the right choice and I would choose to do it again.  The hardest thing was walking into the hospital "pregnant" and walking out not.  Otherwise I think it made the healing a little easier because the physical part was done and over (I had what was basically a heavy period starting the next day, but it didn't last too long) and I could focus on the emotional healing. 
  • So sorry for your loss. I'm at home today recuperating from a D&E and it wasn't that bad at all. I've had no cramping or uterine pain and very little discharge. In this respect, the procedure was much easier than I anticipated. On the other hand, my throat and upper body seemed to take a beating from the anesthesia, because I am super sore and having a hard time eating and swallowing. This soreness is the only reason I've even bothered to take the pain meds I was given. I was told the soreness would go away in about 2 days.

I would do a D&E again, though I hope I never have to. I can't imagine going through a natural miscarriage. 

Forty-something TTC since 12/2007 3 failed IVFs DE cycle #1: BFP then D&E at 12 weeks due to neural tube defect DE cycle #2: Chemical FET #1: BFN Lining issues, pursuing adoption
  • I'm so sorry for your loss.

I m/c at 9w3d, but the baby was only measuring 6w.  I went with the d&c because I just wanted it to be done.  But I started naturally m/c the day we found out and it lasted for 2 days and I still had the d&c to make sure all the fetal tissue was gone.

The natural part of my 1st m/c was painless and physically easy.  But this last m/c was HORRIBLY painful.  If you decide to go the natural route, I highly suggest to get a pain meds rx from your doctor.  You might not need it, but I really wish I had it for mine.  If you opt for the d&c, make sure they put you under.  I only had local anesthesia and it sucked to be awake for it.

GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you all so much for your input. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me your opinions. I'm not 100% sure yet what I will do, but I have a lot of food for thought now thanks to all of you.
  • I waited it out and let it happen naturally. I think it was worth it. I am 99% sure that I have passed everything, but I will find out for sure on Wednesday. ?After waiting 12 days for everything to start, the bad cramping (Advil took care of the pain) lasted for about 12 hours and I passed everything between the 8 and 10 hour marks. ?It was quite gross and I'm not a?queasy person. I still have some light bleeding. I'm happy with my choice and although I hope I never have to go through it again, if I do, I will do the same thing.

So sorry for your loss. ?Remember it's your body and you get to decide what to do.

• MCH77MCH77 member

Today at 11:30 I have my D&E. 

I found out that I m/c on 12weeks, 4days (just a regular u/s visit) and that the baby had stopped growing around 8weeks, 6days.  I have yet to have any blood, cramps, etc.  So I opted for the D&E, my main reason is b/c I emotionally could not take the waiting (esp since school ends in 3 weeks). They would have given me meds to speed it up, but... ?!

My doctor also explained that with the D&E they are able to conduct tests to try to determine why there was the m/c.  There is less chance of infection.  And even with a natural m/c there can be a need to have a D&E or D&C to clean up, this after you have already done it naturally. 

It needs to be a personal choice and I wish you the best.  So sorry about your loss.

BFP #1 March 24, 2010; missed m/c May 26, 2010 @ 12w 4d; D&E May 28, 2010

BFP #2 Oct 20, 2010; My little boy was born on July 5, 2011

BFP #3 April 30, 2013; Chemical Pg May 5, 2013

BFP #4 Aug 22, 2013; It's a boy.  Loss discovered at 24 weeks on Jan 15, 2014 (cause CMV virus)    

<3 We love and miss you Timothy <3

BFP #5 April 6, 2014; missed m/c May 15, 2014 @ 9 weeks; Misoprostol May 15, 2014; D&C May June 3, 2014

• I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't have any advice to offer.
    My Blog
    We love and miss you Jillian (18w) and Peanut (6w). Welcome to our TAC miracle Jacob!
  • I had a D&C yesterday and I physically feel great today, no bleeding and no cramping.  I had to be at the hospital at 11:30 and I was home by 4.   Mentally I am glad that the waiting is over, I started bleeding two weeks ago and I knew I was going to lose the baby.  I found out Tuesday that it was a partial molar pregnancy so I had to have a D&C and I am so glad that I did it and that it is over. 

• I had natural miscarriage in January and am having another one right now.  I prefer to do it naturally.  I try to avoid procedures at all costs. 
  • I am so sorry for your loss! I had to have a D&C 2 hours after delivering our sleeping baby girl because the afterbirth wasn't coming on it's own. I just kept passing clot after clot, the size of softballs. I was completely knocked out during the procedure and didn't wake up until after I was back in my room. I had a lot of drugs pumped into me from beginning to end in 3 days. So I only felt small contractions and I felt absolutely nothing when I delivered her.

I have no idea how things would've went had I not been knocked out during the procedure. I'm just thankful the DR did the D&C because he was able to get everything. My aunt calls a D&C a dusting and cleaning. :o)

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"