3rd Trimester

for those who scheduled c-sections due to breech baby

when did you schedule your c-section?

baby has been breech for the past month or so, and my doctor wants me to schedule my c-section next week for the end of june. he said there's still time for her to flip, and if so, just to cancel the c-section. but still, it seems a bit early to me and i was just wondering what other people's experiences were.

thanks!

ETA: to clarify, i mean when did you do the actual scheduling of the c-section, not when did you schedule the c-section for: How far in advance did you schedule the date

Re: for those who scheduled c-sections due to breech baby

• most times they schedule you at 39 wks, since its easier to have you not be in labor....so they try to schedule a wk early.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • clarification: i meant, when did you do the scheduling of the c-section? like, how far in advance from the date of procedure?
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a sonogram at 35 weeks which showed baby breech.  My doc said there is plenty of time to flip, but she wanted to schedule a c-sec just in case.  She is in a practice of 4 docs but I feel most comfortable with her and wanted her to do the surgery if necessary.  So, at 35 weeks preg, they scheduled me for June 4th with my preferred doc which is 6 days before my due date.  

BTW- Still breech as of Monday @ 37 weeks 

• I had to schedule my c/s for different reasons, but they scheduled it at my 34 weeks appointment, I believe
    Rainbow baby due in September!
    .image
    May Siggy Challenge - Favorite Onscreen Mom
    image  image
  • since the only reason they will schedule it, is because baby is breech, I would assume they would wait until 38-39 wks. That is when a baby is considered full term. They may not schedule you much in advance because the baby could turn in the next month.
  • If I had a breech baby I would try versions, and if baby still hadn't turned, I would still wait to go into labor because they can turn at any moment. I don't get the scheduling c-sections just for the convenience of your doctor, especially a week before your due date.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • With DS, my OB scheduled the C/S 3 weeks early (as soon as we found out he was Transverse breech - versions are NOT recommended for transverse babies). Some prefer to schedule them 4 weeks out for breech births, just so they know they have an OR available should one become necessary. For this LO, I am having a medically necessary repeat C/S, and my new OB schedules them as far as 3 months in advance in those cases.

~Renee Mommy to Caden (4)and Ariana (10 months) Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy and her babies, Disney World, April 24, 2011
  • imageBlueRidgeMama:
    If I had a breech baby I would try versions, and if baby still hadn't turned, I would still wait to go into labor because they can turn at any moment. I don't get the scheduling c-sections just for the convenience of your doctor, especially a week before your due date.
    I wouldn't assume it's for the doctor's convenience. If a surgery is anticipated/scheduled, proper protocols can be followed by the patient. Like not eating or drinking to avoid complications.
  • I had mine scheduled in early april for mid june! That is simply because Surgeons are busy people and If you want a specific surgeon you have to schedule early or else you wind up getting whoever is available. 
  • imageBlueRidgeMama:
    If I had a breech baby I would try versions, and if baby still hadn't turned, I would still wait to go into labor because they can turn at any moment. I don't get the scheduling c-sections just for the convenience of your doctor, especially a week before your due date.

I would just like you to know they schedule it just so that it is available if need be so that they don't wind up in an emergency situation and have to call someone in. Also if you are so against c-sections why would you post? And one more thing I tried a version with my daughter because she was breech and it literally almost killed her and they had to deliver her emergency so until you fully understand what you are talking about or are in the situation yourself keep your opinions.  

• thanks ladies. version is still an option, but i guess they like to schedule in advance for planning sake. also, i have some medical reasons why they want me to deliver during the 39th week anyway, so the c-section itself isn't a factor in that.
  • I had a version at 37 weeks which did not work so they scheduled the c-section for 39 weeks.  2 weeks from when they scheduled it to the actual surgery.  It is happening on Tuesday!  My baby has her butt wedged on in my pelvis with her feet in her face up at her ribs.  I just talked to a lady today who is old enough to be my mom and her baby was in the same position when she delivered her vaginally.  Ouch!  (Her daughter is a little younger than me now.)  She said her baby was really uncomfortable for a while afterwards.  She said her daughter has had 2 c-sections and they really aren't that bad.  The first one was worse since she went into labor for 12 hours then had to have the c-section, the second one was planned in advance.  They like to plan it for sometime around 39 weeks so that way the baby is full term, but hopefully it's before you start labor on your own and end up still having the c-section.     
  • I have a doctors appointment tomorrow so I hope it's scheduled then.

kolney Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you want your pick of dates (the only cool thing about scheduled CS), you want to do it now.  I had my 36 week appt. this week and she was still breech so we scheduled for 39 weeks and one day (on my grandma's birthday).  Doctor said I could wait another week to schedule, but I was more likely to get the date I wanted if I scheduled now. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"