Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Nervous about buying a drop side crib

I am on the lookout for a good quality crib....I was waiting till we were moved to do DD's nursery.

I just saw this article and now I am nervous about drop side cribs...Do you have one and do you like yours?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100523/ap_on_bi_ge/us_crib_deaths_congress

Re: Nervous about buying a drop side crib

• I was hearing a lot of bad things about them myself...I went with a stationary one. You can read reviews from people who have actually used the cribs...usually on babies r us or other websites to help you make a choice. I'm sure they are all not a problem...but I just didn't want to risk it! I went with the Graco Lauren crib. It was a good quality and decently priced. Good luck! I hope you find something :-)
  • I do have one. I bought it 2 years ago for my first daughter. I wanted a non-drop side crib but I'm short and I bought one to save my back. Truth be told, I rarely dropped the side on it.

If I were in the market for a crib now I probably wouldn't go with a drop side. If you do, just regularly check that the pins haven't fallen out of their tracks and that the side is sturdy. 

• image Kuuipo1006:
    I was hearing a lot of bad things about them myself...I went with a stationary one. You can read reviews from people who have actually used the cribs...usually on babies r us or other websites to help you make a choice. I'm sure they are all not a problem...but I just didn't want to risk it! I went with the Graco Lauren crib. It was a good quality and decently priced. Good luck! I hope you find something :-)
    Pretty much exactly this. Simon does sleep in a dropside at his grandma's house and that's fine with me.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • g8trkimg8trkim
    5000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 100 Love Its Combo Breaker
    If you're nervous I would say don't even get one. Most cribs these days aren't drop side anyway.
    image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • magretmagret member
    If you are nervous then i wouldn't get a drop side crib.  I on the other had have a drop side and love it.  Since I am short I do put it down when getting DD in and out but DH never puts it down.  I am using the drop side less and less though since DD can stand on her own and what not.  I just keep checking to make sure everything is okay. GL :)
  • Mine is stationary and I love it. Lots of stores no longer sell them. I won't let DS sleep in one unless I'm in the room with him (a hotel for example). If you get one there's a good chance you won't be able to legally sell it in the future- maybe this matters to you? I really don't think they're all awful but there's a lot of recalls to wade through to find a safe one.
  • I would get a stationary. I too went with the Graco Lauren and I love it. I accidentally ordered the dropside version of this crib and exchanged it for the stationary and I'm glad I did because the dropside was recalled.

I'm 5'0 and I have no problems getting LO in and out of the stationary crib. If you havn't bought one yet, go with the stationary. Better than getting a dropside and it getting recalled later.

• I personally wouldn't risk it.
  • We bought a stationary convertible crib (from Ragazzi, the Etruria line).  I'm very happy with it, and considering I am 5' 0" tall, I can put Liam in there and take him out without too much difficulty - I even found a way to (slowly) change the crib sheet without wrestling too much with the mattress.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • They're trying to ban them by the end of the year so that should tell you something about how safe they are

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• and fwiw, I'm 4'11" and the stationary crib is just fine for me

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards