Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

IUD insertion

Do I really need to have someone drive me home after it?? I read that on one website but I don't think my doctor ever mentioned that. Is there really that much pain afterwards??! Help ladies! Give advice please...

img title="Parenting Tips" src=" 

DS #1: May 25, 2007

DS #2: Jan 7, 2009

DD #3 due May 17, 2014!!! Low lying placenta and DD measuring 1 week ahead at big u/s

Re: IUD insertion

• really just depends. can you take some motrin beforehand? I think that would have helped me if I'd known.

I left the office smiling and thought, man - that was a piece of cake.

then I literally had to stop driving on the way back to work, pull over for a few minutes and let the nausea/lightheadedness pass.

:)

I mean, I was still able to drive. but I did have to stop for a few minutes. I was just crampy the rest of the day.

• I work in an office where they insert IUDs and I rarely see people bring a driver with them.  Unless you're wanting some sort of sedation, which I have never seen with an IUD, then you shouldn't need a driver.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had difficulty getting my inserted because the doctor said my cervix was still pretty closed (maybe because I'm still nursing?) Afterward though, I had only the kind of cramping you might expect when you have your period- and that went away with some Tylenol.  I don't think you should need a driver but taking the pain reliever beforehand is a good idea.  Hope that helps :)
    Bobby's Mom Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I thought that it was pretty painful but drove myself to and from the appointment.  I did have childcare that morning (it was my 6 week pp visit) though.
  • My insertion didn't hurt at all.  Honestly I didn't even feel it... though I know some people have different experiences.  I would not think that even if it was uncomfortable that you would need someone to drive you home.
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers