2nd Trimester

Neighbor calls DH "The Man" for impregnating me...

DH and I were helping out a neighbor yesterday (who didn't know) and another neighbor came over (who did know). She called out "Hey, Pregnant Lady! How you feeling?" And neighbor A was like "Woooah! Are you a pregnant lady???" followed quickly by "(DH), YOU THE MAN!"

Another funny response was a family friend said "Yea I knew it, you looked a little bigger!" when I was 12 weeks and not showing at all.

Any funny responses you ladies have heard?

Re: Neighbor calls DH "The Man" for impregnating me...

• :::raises hand:::

Ooooh...me, me! 

When we told SIL the news, she virtually attacked both of us, saying how babies ruin your life, and you get no sleep, and that we don't know what we're doing.

To date, she has yet to apologize for that.  Oh well.  I see her once a month.

And oh.  My dad's reaction was cute.  I had to tell him over the phone because he lives in another country.  I said "hey, pops, you're going to be a grandpa!"  No beating around the bush for me.  LOL  He said "are you joking me? Really? Nahhh...!  You guys were going to wait!"

Now he calls me Mother of a Little Lentil, since the first ultrasound at 6 weeks showed LO the size of a Lentil...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • These are funny thanks for sharing!  When I got pregnant with my first daughter I was living with a bf in college and I was so scared to tell my dad when I finally got the courage up to tell him I called him and he was working, but not busy, I couldn't turn back so I told him to sit down, he said "you're not going to tell me you're pregnant are you?"  I started laughing and crying at the same time and said "yeah, how did you know?"  To which his response was "well, what do you expect you're living with the guy."
  • The funniest thing my mom said when we told her was "How did that happen??" But we didn't tell her we were TTC, either. :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • My mom hugged my husband and said "Good job" when we told my family.

My grandmother said "FINALLY!" and started crying. It was a bit strange  . . . I am 26 and we have been married for 2 years. I didn't really think it warranted a "finally."

• OP, your post had me laughing out loud!

Our funniest and most inappropriate reaction was from my maternal grandma. She's English but has lived in Canada for most of her life (war bride, my grandpa was Canadian). She's always thought English guys were the best, Canadians were up there, and everyone else, well, they beat their wives and/or drink too much (that's a direct quote). Americans are kinda up there, but not as good as Canadians or English in her mind (and I make the distinction between English and British because Scottish and Welsh guys apparently "drink and beat their wives" as well). She's crazy.

So I tell her that I'm pregnant. First words out of her mouth: "Oh, that means you're going to have a little American baby... Oh well." Oh well?? Seriously, did she just specify that it would be American and then say "oh well"??! She then proceeds to tell me perhaps I should consider crossing the border when it's due so that it can be born in Canada and thereby Canadian like the rest of our family. As she starts to go deeper into the details of this plan I think she realizes that it's probably not very practical and trails off. I couldn't believe it...I've spent most of my life in the U.S., have American citizenship, married to an American and we're a U.S. military family, and she has the balls to say that to me! The funny thing is that she's always liked visiting the U.S., it's just that there is apparently a deep-seated prejudice there when it comes to her lineage and their nationality. Good thing she thinks DH is very handsome and can do no wrong, because I almost reminded her that his mom is half Mexican and Native American just because I think she's forgotten that detail and I know it would have made me feel better to see her getting all flustered about the parentage and nationality of her great-grandbaby. Talk about insensitive and inappropriate! I mean she is in her late 80s and starting to get a bit, erm, out of it, but it was still really funny and oh so wrong at the same time.

• image veebug22:

OP, your post had me laughing out loud!

Our funniest and most inappropriate reaction was from my maternal grandma. She's English but has lived in Canada for most of her life (war bride, my grandpa was Canadian). She's always thought English guys were the best, Canadians were up there, and everyone else, well, they beat their wives and/or drink too much (that's a direct quote). Americans are kinda up there, but not as good as Canadians or English in her mind (and I make the distinction between English and British because Scottish and Welsh guys apparently "drink and beat their wives" as well). She's crazy.

So I tell her that I'm pregnant. First words out of her mouth: "Oh, that means you're going to have a little American baby... Oh well." Oh well?? Seriously, did she just specify that it would be American and then say "oh well"??! She then proceeds to tell me perhaps I should consider crossing the border when it's due so that it can be born in Canada and thereby Canadian like the rest of our family. As she starts to go deeper into the details of this plan I think she realizes that it's probably not very practical and trails off. I couldn't believe it...I've spent most of my life in the U.S., have American citizenship, married to an American and we're a U.S. military family, and she has the balls to say that to me! The funny thing is that she's always liked visiting the U.S., it's just that there is apparently a deep-seated prejudice there when it comes to her lineage and their nationality. Good thing she thinks DH is very handsome and can do no wrong, because I almost reminded her that his mom is half Mexican and Native American just because I think she's forgotten that detail and I know it would have made me feel better to see her getting all flustered about the parentage and nationality of her great-grandbaby. Talk about insensitive and inappropriate! I mean she is in her late 80s and starting to get a bit, erm, out of it, but it was still really funny and oh so wrong at the same time.

I think your grandmother sounds funny and cute in a cookoo type of way, no?  She's older...you gotta forgive her deapseated prejudice...my grandmother's the same way!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • image veebug22:

OP, your post had me laughing out loud!

Wow. Wacky Grandmas are the best source of entertainment.

• When I told my grand dad I was pregnant he said, "oh no, did you get yourself in trouble?" - I laughed and said, "well I suppose you could look it at that way, but I am 30 years old and married- haha"
  • My mother-in-law's quote was the best.  

We had a small dish made for our moms that said "Can't wait to meet you, Grandma!  Love, Baby" and I wrote the due date on the back.  When it registered what we were trying to tell her, she blurts out at the dinner table: "Oh Fu@*"!  Does this mean you're having a baby?!"  She was all grins and excitement, but the pure shock of her response was hilarious and classic! 

• the most amusing response i got was from my sister's boyfriend.  My little bundle was not planned, so I was kind of still freaking out when we went to visit them.  Once we told them he got a BIG smile, looked at my hubby and said "Got one past the goalie- nice!" it was ridiculous.  It's funny now, at the time I was un-amused.
  • My HUSBAND'S reaction was the best! I took a test in our upstairs bathroom without telling him. When it came up positive, I sat in shock/happiness for a minute, then took it downstairs. I told him I had something to show him, and put it in front of him. He said, "what's that?" I said, "a pregnancy test." "Oh. What's it mean?" "It's positive." "Well, whose is it?" "It's MINE!!" "What? Nuh-uh." He seriously asked whose it was, and then didn't believe me. I had to pee on another right in front of him to prove it. We had been TTC for a year and a half, and we were just so used to it NOT happening, that when it did, we could hardly believe it!
    "Love is the promise of the brave." Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We told my parents on my dad's birthday. I had taken a digital pregnancy test and we wrapped it up in my necklace box and told my dad that it was something we had seen earlier in the week and decided to give it to him. :-) My dad opened the present and stared quizzically at the test. He looked at me and said "Why do I need this?" then he realized what it was and says "Oh, wait! You're pregnant?! Hooray!" at which point my mom started screaming and my brother started cheering. My dad later told me he originally thought it was a thermometer...even though it showed in big letters "PREGNANT" :-)
  • I'm relieved that I'm not the only one with funny responses to being pregnant!

Since I live half way around the World from my mom and step-father, I had to call them and break the news.  My step-dad said "You miss being pregnant, huh?".  LOL   That was one of many!

• These are good!

I've had a few, tho..

DH & I went to my hometown for my nephew's 1st birthday party. We told my family the night before the party and asked them not to spread the word b/c we hadn't told DH's sisters. At the party, my sister's friend (mom of a 5 month old) asked if we were trying and when we were planning on trying, etc etc. I told her we weren't too sure (I was graduating college soon, he needed to finish his master's, etc)... So she sat there for ten minutes and told us to wait for a few years, it changes your life so much, etc, etc. I just kinda sat there and said uh huh alot. lol. I saw her like a month later, after everyone knew, and she came up to me and was like "You should have told me to shut up!" I just laughed.. She definitely wasn't the only person to tell us to wait!!

Another time, a guy friend (I don't see very often or know very well) & I were talking about how excited I was about graduation and asked me if I was going to get wild and crazy for my party I was hosting. I was like "umm, no? I'm pregnant." Him: "Wait, doesn't your husband live 2 hours away??" Me: "Yea, we see one another every other weekend" Him:"Dayum, y'all were FAST!!!"

We have gotten A TON of comments teasing us about how little we get to spend time together and what we must do alll the time when we see one another.

• In response to AlliMarie;

I can SO RELATE. With my first, now 4 years-old, I argued with the doc when she told me. We had been trying for 11 months and my brother died in a horrific accident 2 months before finding out, so i went to my ob/gyn for a totally unrelated issue and she said we did the urine test on you and she said the results were positive. I was like, I'm not pregnant. She said the results were positive you are going to have a baby. I said I can't be pregnant. She said you and your DH are trying to have a baby right? I said yes. She said well the test is positive, you are pregnant. I just sat there dumbfounded and shocked. I walked out of her office still in utter shock as I walked to my car. I called my bf and said guess what, she said what. I said I am pregnant. I told her to keep it a secret until I told my hubby.I got in and drove out of the parking lot. All of a sudden the wind blew really hard thru the trees and I felt a sensation like a warm blanket falling over my shoulders, and I felt my brother's presence. It was awesome and I will never forget the day I found out I was going to be a mommy. April 13th, 2005. My DS was born months later on Dec. 15, 2005. Now we are pregnant again with our second that is due on July 29th. Cool huh?

• Actually my reaction was the weirdest. We had been trying for nine months w/o results and I had all but lost hope and I was slated for surgery to remove a nerve in my abdomen. I was only 4 days late when I went in for the procedure that was scheduled 3 months in advance. They made me take a blood test "to be safe" good thing too b/c my husband and I are sitting there waiting and we are wondering why this taking forever not thinking it will be positive. The phone rings at the nurses station and some intern answers the phone and practically screams "positive are you sure" I was in shock for about two hours I couldn't talk about it while my husband called all our friends and family and I couldn't speak. It was a pretty intense procedure so I have to put it off until the baby is born but that was a surprise. 
  • With my first pregnancy (that ended in a MC) we were living with my bf's family for a lil while til' we could get our own place. When i suprisingly found out i was prego i was shocked but happy and right away called my bf who was at home bbq'ing with his family for the weekend. He screemed out "What, your lieing to me, your pregnant?!!" And i again told him I was and that i wanted to leave work to come home to him and talk about it. By the time he had screamed that out loud the entire family heard and all i remember hearing over the phone (in the background) from his dad is "Are you serious??!! Im finally going to be a grandpa??" LIke he had just been waiting on us to have a baby, I thought he would have been upset since we were living with them. Anyway he got on the phone to me said to bring home 2 more tests with me to take and to leave work early. When i got home i showed them the first pos. test from when i was on lunch at work. They swore i had someone take it for me. So i had to go home take a test then and bring it out to show them i wasnt lieing. The next morning at 5a.m. i got woke up by my bf's dad, he said "I still dont believe you, do you mind going and taking the second test i had you buy?" All i could think was are you serious, i took one last night and here it is 5 am and you want me to get out of bed and take another for you. LOL So i did and showed him again. That night after work He came nd apologized to me for making me take so many and for waking me up. I told him it was no problem, he went on to explain to me it was all because he was soooo excited and soooo glad to finally be a grandpa that he was in shock :)
  • Ha, yeah I have a good one.  DH and I both had to be taken to the emergency room one night for serious dehydration due to the stomach virus.  We were given some medicine that absolutely knocked DH out so I was left in the next bed with only my mom sitting with me.  The doctor ( who I had never seen before) came in to announce the results of our blood tests they had to run and told me that I was pregnant.  My mom was shocked.  She was like," What did you just say?" So my mom is in shock, I'm excited but kinda upset that this dr just blurted it out in front of everyone instead of telling me privately, and DH is totally unconscious in the next bed. What a night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker, Pregnancy Ticker
  • These are great. Thanks for sharing, ladies.
  • Similar to what your neighbor told you, my brother told my DH "Good job, I knew you could do it!" Haha!

My brothers knew that we've been trying and I guess they thought it was his fault. But really, it was mine because I found out I wasn't ovulating for 4 months or so. Poor DH.

DH did receive a quite a few pats on the back from male family members...pretty much their way of saying "good job" I guess. Nice!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• image AlliMarie:
    My HUSBAND'S reaction was the best! I took a test in our upstairs bathroom without telling him. When it came up positive, I sat in shock/happiness for a minute, then took it downstairs. I told him I had something to show him, and put it in front of him. He said, "what's that?" I said, "a pregnancy test." "Oh. What's it mean?" "It's positive." "Well, whose is it?" "It's MINE!!" "What? Nuh-uh." He seriously asked whose it was, and then didn't believe me. I had to pee on another right in front of him to prove it. We had been TTC for a year and a half, and we were just so used to it NOT happening, that when it did, we could hardly believe it!

Whoa! this one is soooo funny!!!  Hahahaha lol i got all excited when an OPK test was finally positive and showed my hubby and he was like whats that? Your story had me rotfl!!

• I love these!!!!! hehehe, my DH was the funniest! we work together and i took a home test during our lunch hour(we were not waiting 5 hours to get home) , when i went to show him he said " no no just tell me... you peed on that thing gross go away with it..."

My father-in-law said "you guys said you didnt do "that"" ... we had real mixed reactions but hubby wasnt going near the stick i'd peed on for anything!

• Wellll... when I called to tell my father that my Fiance and I were expecting, he said, very excited and nervously "Good Job Kid" LOL, AND, last week when I traveled back to my home town to see some old friends, one of them assumed that it was unplanned, and i replied "Nope, we were trying, actually we only had to try once" and he replied " Well that sucks for him! (meaning my SO), I guess he thought we should have had months of fun trying to conceive! One of my neighbours (who i do not know) asked me when I was due the other day and i said October, and she said " wow your huge!"
  • We had been trying for about a year and a half before we got pregnant, so when we finally were and told everyone we got the typical excited response. But honestly the best/weirdest comment we got came from a complete stranger! We were shopping for carpet for the newbie's room, and the guy who owned the store asked if I was having a girl. I told him that in fact we were expecting a boy, to which his response was pointing at and almost touching my husband's package and saying, "Hey! Good job, you got a good shooter there! You could rent it out! Women will pay good money!". He also made some comment about his daughter being 36, unmarried, but with a good job and that he would pay for her. We were both in complete shock and I think my husband was a little mortified. Needless to say we bought our carpet from another store and never went back, and moreover once the shock wore off, we had a huge laugh about it!
  • Funniest response so far:  When I told my boss I was pregnant, he asked me if I was going to name the baby after him.  I still can't stop laughing about this.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We got a lot of the "Guess we know what they've been doing" type comments but I think the cutest has been from my fiance's Great Grandfather. We told him that we were pregnant and he said "Oh I guess you kids have been having fun," and then we told him he was going to be a Great Great Grandfather and he said, " Oh twins!" He was a little confused but it was so adorable.
  • I had infertility issues, and tried unsuccessfully for 6 years to get pregnant with my ex-husband.  Turned out, infertility was a blessing in my case, because the ex turned out to have been a horrible person (to put it mildly).

Well, after only being married to my current hubby for 3 months, with no medical help, I was pregnant!

When we told my oldest brother, he turned to my hubby and said "You've boldly gone where no man has gone before. Good job!"

LOL! Brothers. Indifferent

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyName Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • The funniest thing I got from anyone was when I told my father he was very happy but he told me "I'm not old enough to be a grandpa, your momma's just gonna have to be grandma" which made me laugh so much, and then I was talking to him a few days later and he tells me it's going to be a girl and I said "Oh, you think, huh?" and he tells me "I don't think so; I know it will be -you might as well start picking out names" and then later in the same conversation he tells me it needs to wait to get here until at least a week after October 15th (I'm due October 26th), and when I ask why, he says "Hunting season starts then, and me and your grandpa will be unavailable" and I started laughing so hard I could hardly breathe (to most people this would just sound bad or mean of him to say, but my dad has always been a huge outdoorsman and anyone who knows him, knows that it fits all too well that he would say that). Needless to say when I told my mom that he said that she wasn't surprised and got quite a kick out of it.
  • My mom's reaction was pretty cute.  We had just moved to GA from Phila about a week before we got pregnant so it was our first Thanksgiving away from my folks.  I had sent up " early Christmas gifts" to the family- which were actually baby related items wrapped in Christmas paper...including an ultrasound picture frame that said "love at first site" with a picture of our little lima bean.  We were on speaker phone with everyone as my mom opened her present and she says "whose ultrasound is this?"- LOL I told her it was the neighbors LOL- "is this yours she said, are you pregnant??"  YES we yelled and then we didn't hear anything for a good long minute until my sister said..."mom can't talk, she's crying".  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards